PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Where are the power profiles?

snowweb
May 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I just upgraded from Kubuntu 10:10 and I used to have a few different power profiles set up which I could select to suit the situation (eg. Presentation, for when doing a presentation and I don't want the screen saver interrupting).

The trouble is, I can't find any way to recreate these in 12.04!

Am I missing something?

drmrgd
May 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think they got rid of this functionality around 11.10, if I'm not mistaken. Now there are no profiles and you just set the power save settings the way you want them at the time.

Enigmapond
May 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Install Jupiter. This is the only app available right now to manage power profiles.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/jupiter
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install jupiter

snowweb
May 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
That's a shame drmrqd. I can't be fiddling around in the settings every time I want to play a movie, do a presentation or leave my laptop uploading without fear of it suspending before it's finished.

This looks like it might be the end of Ubuntu in my life. What I love about Linux is the granularity of it's control but with the introduction of Unity and Gnome3 (which is why I shifted to KDE) and now this, it looks like they're trying to turn Ubuntu into an operating system for children and Windows users.

Thanks Enigmapond for recommending Jupiter. It doesn't look like much of a replacement for what we've lost, but maybe it will be better than nothing until I can find a more permanent solution, so I've installed it and am giving it a go.