PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 installion on hp pavilion dv6 6119tx

robbie2685
May 9th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hi there guys!!
I really need to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my hp laptop which is dv6 6119tx..
Its a 64 bit laptop!!
What really happens after installation is that the processor fan is always on ...Laptop gets heated...cannot dim the brightness...functions keys does not work for volume and other stuff...
i have amd radeon 6490 1gb graphic card!!
I have tried installing proprietory drivers but it does not work..
I would really appreciate if smeone can help me out with this as is really need ubuntu and sick and tired of windows!!
Thank you!!
Robbie.

Mark Phelps
May 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Overheating is bad, especially on a laptop where you don't have the option of using an aftermarket cooler or water cooling ...

Ubuntu 12.04 was supposed to include kernel fixes for Sandy Bridge processors to address their overheating problem.

But, it looks like it didn't address yours.

Try looking into using Jupiter:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854019

Just so you know, if that doesn't work, and you KEEP using Ubuntu, you run the risk of burning out your laptop processor.

So, how "sick and tired" will you be then -- if your laptop turns into an "electric brick"?

|{urse
May 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Definitely try Jupiter first! (sorry missed that part)

Not trying to steer you away from Ubuntu but FC16 (fedora) 64bit has better support for that laptop (fan works on mine). You may want to give it a try. The downside is that you may see noticeably less battery life with fedora on that specific laptop.

Dictated but not googled,
|{urse

robbie2685
May 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Thanx a lot guys!! Apreciated!!