PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Odd issue - install process shuts down my router

kruege311
May 9th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I know this is going to sound really odd but this really did happen (multiple times in fact). So to set this all up, what I was doing was trying to install and test out the different ubuntu desktop variants. I had downloaded ubuntu mini 12.04 and proceeded with the installation. There were no problems when the install process downloaded the core packages but when it got to the point of selecting the packages to install for some reason the install would only download the necessary package files for about a minute and then my router lights (including the power light) would flash off and my connection would drop. After a couple seconds the lights would come back on and then after a while the package download would continue. However the router would again shut its lights off and drop the connection. This happened all the way through the remainder of the download process to download and install the ubuntu-desktop package I selected.

Thinking it was a fluke I ditched the install and started from scratch again. Again there were no problems downloading the core packages which, that download alone was about a 7 minute continuous download and it went fine. This time when I got to the screen for my package selection I selected the lubuntu desktop option instead. However from here on out, like before, the same thing happened. It would download the package files for about a minute and then my router lights would shut off and the connection would drop. Again after about a second or two the lights came back on, the connection came back, and the download resumed. But as before the lights would shut off again and the connection would drop.

Thinking maybe the router was overheating I used a fan to cool it down but that didn't help. Because I thought it strange that the core packages had no trouble downloading but the desktop packages did, I decided to use the same pc to just download the full blown ubuntu iso file and there were no problems with that at all. The router lights never shut off and the connection never dropped and that was over a period of a couple hours. So I can't see the router itself being the issue here.

Has anyone run across something this weird before? I'm really not sure what to check. This is so baffling and annoying because installing any of the ubuntu desktop varieties takes forever because of the constant random router shut offs.

My router is a linksys wrt54g.

Thanks in advance.

kruege311
May 31st, 2012, 01:08 AM
Just thought I'd give this a bump as it's lingered for a while with no replies. I know it's a strange issue but I am still curious if anyone has seen anything even remotely like this. I'm willing to entertain any ideas. A blind stab in the dark is better than no stab at all.