PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Using Multiple Linux Operating Systems On 1 Hard Drive

Bolshy
May 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi All,):P
I am using multiple Linux Operating Systems on 1 hard drive and so far things are looking good but on start up I am getting nothing to tell me which one I am starting up as it seems there is only a number distinguishing them.
Is there any way I can alter it to show the name of each Operating System?
Thanks ;)

plucky
May 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi All,):P
I am using multiple Linux Operating Systems on 1 hard drive and so far things are looking good but on start up I am getting nothing to tell me which one I am starting up as it seems there is only a number distinguishing them.
Is there any way I can alter it to show the name of each Operating System?
Thanks ;)

See Grub Customizer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664134&highlight=grub+customizer+drs305)

Install the PPA and then install Grub Customizer and you will be able to edit the boot entries.

Good Luck

Bolshy
May 8th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hi,
Thanks but can you elaborate a little as I am not sure what you mean
Thanks

plucky
May 8th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I assume you have a Grub boot screen when you boot the system

Follow the instructions in the link to install Grub Customizer.
After it is installed,run the Application and you should then see all the different versions of Linux you have installed.

You can then edit the names ( Xubuntu,Kubuntu,Ubuntu,Fedora,Windows etc)so you can distinguish between them in the Grub Menu.

Good Luck

Bolshy
May 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks plucky, I will try that tomorrow (its past Midnight here now) and will get back to you when I've succeeded.