PDA

View Full Version : Two free EA games land in software center.

philinux
May 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
http://iloveubuntu.net/two-free-ea-games-landed-ubuntu-software-center

johnnybgoode83
May 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Let's all download them to show that there is an appetite for games for Linux.

Version Dependency
May 8th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Two web-browser based games? Thanks for nothing, EA. I thought we were actually getting some LINUX games.

johnnybgoode83
May 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Two web-browser based games? Thanks for nothing, EA. I thought we were actually getting some LINUX games.

They are dipping their toes in the water to gauge interest. Rome wasn't built in a day you know.

KiwiNZ
May 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Would it be better if they just ignored Linux :rolleyes:

skierkyles
May 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances
Comment=Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances (browser-based)
Exec=xdg-open http://alliances.commandandconquer.com/c/9245
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=tiberiumalliances
Categories=Game;StrategyGame;

Yea. That is all it is. An xdg-open command. Calling it a script would be far too kind.

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Name=The Goog
Comment=Search the entire network of tubes called the internets (Browser based)
Exec=xdg-open http://www.google.com
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=thegoog
Categories=Internet;Everything;

Now we have the entire internet as an app too. :lolflag:

Simian Man
May 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM
They are dipping their toes in the water to gauge interest. Rome wasn't built in a day you know.

LOL, an intern probably knocked this script up during his break. EA is not going to actually invest in such an esoteric market as Linux. They would rather not support PC gaming at all.

Technoviking
May 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hopefully this is the first step for EA to bring more games, including native apps, to Ubuntu. Also, I think means EA will provide support for these games for web browsers under Ubuntu.

Poo-poo it if you want, but this is exciting news.

T-V

KiwiNZ
May 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM
To the negative Nelly's........

'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'

samalex
May 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds neat, but I just don't care for browser-based games. I might try one out though just to uptick the interest from Linux users.

Bandit
May 9th, 2012, 01:28 AM
To the negative Nelly's........

'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'

This for gods sake..

Of course before a company is going to think about any other platform, they are going to see what they can get out of free before they invest a single red penny.. Working in R&D I know this all to well.

iMurshaq
May 9th, 2012, 01:57 AM
sounds like fun

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 02:12 AM
LOL, an intern probably knocked this script up during his break. EA is not going to actually invest in such an esoteric market as Linux. They would rather not support PC gaming at all.

Heh, I fully expected whatever EA was doing to be underwhelming. What I find amusing is that it was more underwhelming than I imagined... although it's obvious when I think about it. I thought they were going to announce Linux games that worked through wine - something like Google's Picasa.

KiwiNZ
May 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Heh, I fully expected whatever EA was doing to be underwhelming. What I find amusing is that it was more underwhelming than I imagined... although it's obvious when I think about it. I thought they were going to announce Linux games that worked through wine - something like Google's Picasa.

So it would be better if they were doing nothing and not even considering Linux????:rolleyes:

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 02:31 AM
So it would be better if they were doing nothing and not even considering Linux????:rolleyes:

"Linux is such a joke that its fans get excited over a glorified bookmark"

I can't tell you if it's certainly better or certainly worse, but I can tell you that EA did not meet the expectations of Linux fans over the past few days.

KiwiNZ
May 9th, 2012, 02:36 AM
"Linux is such a joke that its fans get excited over a glorified bookmark"

I can't tell you if it's certainly better or certainly worse, but I can tell you that EA did not meet the expectations of Linux fans over the past few days.

This is the same attitude the prevails these Forums when a new version of Ubuntu is released, a whole lot of moaning and whining and very little gratitude for something that someone spent months working on in order to give it FREE. To be honest I don't know why companies and individuals even bother:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 02:50 AM
This is the same attitude the prevails these Forums when a new version of Ubuntu is released, a whole lot of moaning and whining and very little gratitude for something that someone spent months working on in order to give it FREE. To be honest I don't know why companies and individuals even bother:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm just going to point out that if EA spent months doing this, then they probably have bigger issues than Linux support to worry about.

Bandit
May 9th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I'm just going to point out that if EA spent months doing this, then they probably have bigger issues than Linux support to worry about.

I can tell you never worked in an industry that creates a product for the public, free or cost.
I am sure EA didnt spend months working on this, matter of fact they prob had a few people from Canacle or other linux affiliated companies contacting them and they asked their R&D department to cook up something at NO COST to see if there is any market for linux gaming before spending any time and money on this. This is how business works, you can complain all you want. Now if there is enough market for these free no cost products, then they may take another look at linux. But with your kind of attitude there would never be anything for linux or any other OS.

There is no way any A N Y company is going to invent any amount of money and time into a product, even more so with our current economy to make a bad investment and loose shareholders money.

Just my 2 cents..

Bolverksson
May 9th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I am not really interested in the arguing over EA Games or in the opinion of those who like to belittle others who enjoying killing a little time playing a relaxing game or two. I am a Linux fan, and if a company can make money putting out software to Linux distros, I am all for it. I love the idea of FOSS, of Open-Source. Yet, I do work for a QuickBooks/Quickbase VAR, as well as a Medisoft VAR. The fact that I can pay my bills, pay back my school loans, and still eat do to it thrills me even more. I would much rather be supporting Linux and Linux based software. So where I can support it, push it, encourage Linux use, then that is what I am going to do. Baby Steps. And really, I am trying the Command and Conquer game as I roll through these forums. It makes a nice little back drop between thoughts.

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I can tell you never worked in an industry that creates a product for the public, free or cost.

Not only is this irrelevant, but you would also be wrong. It might be more accurate to say that I have never written software for a living, but even that is strictly speaking incorrect.

I am sure EA didnt spend months working on this, matter of fact they prob had a few people from Canacle or other linux affiliated companies contacting them and they asked their R&D department to cook up something at NO COST to see if there is any market for linux gaming before spending any time and money on this. This is how business works, you can complain all you want. Now if there is enough market for these free no cost products, then they may take another look at linux. But with your kind of attitude there would never be anything for linux or any other OS.
See Simian Man's post: It costs almost nothing to do what they did.

There are companies that make games for Linux. They spent considerably more effort and had more at stake. If you want to spend money, spend money on those guys instead. Heck, if you really want to support Ubuntu, Canonical, and Linux gaming, open up the USC now and buy Oil Rush. Those guys made a huge loss from that last time I checked.

There is no way any A N Y company is going to invent any amount of money and time into a product, even more so with our current economy to make a bad investment and loose shareholders money.
Just my 2 cents..I have no idea what you might be trying to say, because what you stated isn't true.

KiwiNZ
May 9th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Not only is this irrelevant, but you would also be wrong. It might be more accurate to say that I have never written software for a living, but even that is strictly speaking incorrect.

See Simian Man's post: It costs almost nothing to do what they did.

There are companies that make games for Linux. They spent considerably more effort and had more at stake. If you want to spend money, spend money on those guys instead. Heck, if you really want to support Ubuntu, Canonical, and Linux gaming, open up the USC now and buy Oil Rush. Those guys made a huge loss from that last time I checked.

I have no idea what you might be trying to say, because what you stated isn't true.

So we should email E.A and ask them to stop any Linux development and Canonical should remove all links in the SC. We can also email any other Game Developers and Software developers in general to tell them to please stay away from Linux.

Unbelievable.

I swear some people would complain if their pants were on fire and someone extinguished the flames.

doorknob60
May 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM
So we should email E.A and ask them to stop any Linux development and Canonical should remove all links in the SC. We can also email any other Game Developers and Software developers in general to tell them to please stay away from Linux.

Unbelievable.

I swear some people would complain if their pants were on fire and someone extinguished the flames.
This!

A company decides to take the first step in starting to support Linux, and half the people just complain saying they didn't really do anything. Come on, starting out with games that already run natively is a logical first step. They can't just port huge games like Battlefield overnight, but they can allow games like this in the Software Center without any effort, so they did it, no point in them waiting if it was already ready. Obviously, we hope this leads to better things, and if it doesn't, then yeah, that's a little dissapointing, but STOP complaining about this, these things take time and this is hopefully just the first step.

/rant

georgelappies
May 9th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Unbelievable.

+1, trust Linux user to bicker over every little thing imaginable. We are beyond zealots :) EA released it for free, I enjoy some web based games (Neverwinternights game in particular). If all the web based games could work in Linux it would be great!

They (game dev companies) can then maybe start to port MMO engines to linux. Hint, hint - Star Wars ... :D

mips
May 9th, 2012, 06:37 AM
i swear some people would complain if their pants were on fire and someone extinguished the flames.

+1

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
+1, trust Linux user to bicker over every little thing imaginable. We are beyond zealots :) EA released it for free, I enjoy some web based games (Neverwinternights game in particular). If all the web based games could work in Linux it would be great!

They (game dev companies) can then maybe start to port MMO engines to linux. Hint, hint - Star Wars ... :D

Did you know that the PC game Neverwinter Nights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights) was ported by Bioware to work on Linux natively?

Did you know that there are commercial (http://www.ryzom.com/en/) MMO (http://www.vendetta-online.com/) games that work on Linux?

georgelappies
May 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Did you know that the PC game Neverwinter Nights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights) was ported by Bioware to work on Linux natively?

Did you know that there are commercial (http://www.ryzom.com/en/) MMO (http://www.vendetta-online.com/) games that work on Linux?

Yes and yes, but I want Star Wars and I want Middle Earth MMO to work natively on Linux. I played NWN on Linux back in the day when it was just a few years old.

I also want Diablo 3 for Linux, I then would have no reason for my windows 7 partition and dual boot.

Also getting those new gfx intense games for Linux will ensure AMD and NVIDIA shape up their Linux drivers.

How can it not be a win-win situation?

EDIT:

Maybe this graph will look a bit better as well then...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5OTE

stinkeye
May 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Aren't these just debs to create links to already free games
you play in the browser?

Free browser based MMO strategy game.
No download required.
Were the debs created by EA?
I don't really see the point.
I went to the trouble of signing in and downloading when
I could have just gone to http://alliances.commandandconquer.com (http://alliances.commandandconquer.com)

xedi
May 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
First of all: Yes, I'm glad that EA is at least acknowledging that there exists something called Ubuntu.

However, all that talk from Ubuntu about exciting news about EA this week and now saying in google+ : "EA have released two games into the Ubuntu Software Center - this is an exciting time for Ubuntu as a major game publisher delivers their content in Ubuntu - be sure to download the games, they are both free to play with fun in-game purchases too - more details at http://omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/ea-games-arrive-in-the-ubuntu-software-center/"

is borderline false advertising. They only released links to games, that is not releasing a game itself which was available in the browser before and while everybody has different views on exciting, the statement "this is an exciting time for Ubuntu as a major game publisher delivers their content in Ubuntu" just feels extremely exaggerated.

Now, I will wait what EA will have to say on UDS tonight and pass then the final judgment, maybe more will come out of this but I fail to see how people fail to see that we expected more than links.

JDShu
May 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Yes and yes, but I want Star Wars and I want Middle Earth MMO to work natively on Linux. I played NWN on Linux back in the day when it was just a few years old.

I also want Diablo 3 for Linux, I then would have no reason for my windows 7 partition and dual boot.

Also getting those new gfx intense games for Linux will ensure AMD and NVIDIA shape up their Linux drivers.

How can it not be a win-win situation?

EDIT:

Maybe this graph will look a bit better as well then...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5moveOTE (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5OTE)

Good, then think before you make misleading statements. Neverwinter Nights for Linux exists. MMO engines for Linux exist. Companies that make Linux games exist. If you want to support Linux gaming, then instead of falling for cheap tricks by EA, go buy from companies that already support Linux - there are plenty. You want what you want, but you won't get it by playing some flash games.

As for graphics drivers, do you even follow Linux graphics driver development? The proprietary drivers are inherently inhibited from working well on Linux due to their proprietary nature, and despite Nvidia and AMD's best efforts they will always be unstable. The open source drivers have come a long way but they are hindered by patents and with the existence of the proprietary drivers, NVidia and AMD will never be motivated to really improve them for games. Not to mention that OilRush require state of the art drivers - much more than a bunch of Flash games.

What are you trying to say with the graph? To me it says that there are an increasing number of bug reports over time since the inception of Precise. As opposed to a decreasing number of bug reports.

I'm not even complaining. To complain implies that I expect something from EA. Honestly, barring something really big, I don't really care what EA does nor am I emotionally invested in the Software Center or Ubuntu's success. And hey, I would be pleasantly surprised if tomorrow they announced NCAA Football 2011 for Linux. But for now, I just find the level of delusion on this thread regarding the move ridiculous.

ELD
May 9th, 2012, 11:31 AM
@JDShu here here, nice to see someone has their head still on their shoulders.

I actually "installed" their Lords of Ultima from the USC to see what the fuss was about, a HTML5 game that is just a beefed up version of the thousands of text/image based browser games. I tried it for probably about half an hour and i was so bored how can anyone play those games is beyond me.

It is nice to see EA looking at us but when it's this, it's dissapointing.

If you want to really support Linux gaming look to Desura or Gameolith or buy from developers directly who create great games and port to Linux.

Swagman
May 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I'd play them but they aint in the software centre on my machine !!

I'll have to use that link Stinkeye posted.

zombifier25
May 9th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Good, then think before you make misleading statements. Neverwinter Nights for Linux exists. MMO engines for Linux exist. Companies that make Linux games exist. If you want to support Linux gaming, then instead of falling for cheap tricks by EA, go buy from companies that already support Linux - there are plenty. You want what you want, but you won't get it by playing some flash games.

You are effectively assuming every Linux users who download those EA games DON'T do the same to indie developers. I'm not an EA fan; I couldn't care less about EA's doings, but at least be a little open-minded.

This is why people are afraid of geeks. When you see someone handling free rice to poor people, normal people will take it, while geeks will start to complain about how bad the rice tastes (and I agree with that, but I don't look at it with a negative attitude)
(feel free to flame me to death - this is what the Internet is made for)

temp2012
May 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm too lazy to draw a rage comic, but on this occasion it would go something like this.

Dabbled with Linux

Got flammed for no reason

FUUUUUUUU

Ubuntu community needs:

1. To be more positive. Nobody in EA is out to hurt you.
2. To stop being so paranoid. Big companies don't exist to be evil, the exist to make money. Most people who work for these companies justvwant to make a reasonable living.
3. Revisit what the word Ubuntu actually means.

Spoilt children cry when they don't get what they want, sensible adults learn to use what they have and maximise the benefits of that.

Primefalcon
May 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
We'll ee wher this goes, and I'll remain hopefull I guess...... Just remember EA is a games company that onl cares about money and whether here is a market for these types of games on Linux remain to be seen.... I just hope that this support testing wasn't too soon...

philinux
May 9th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Blimey. When I posted this I did not anticipate so much negativity. Any who another take on it.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/05/ea-starts-publishing-games-in-ubuntu.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techdrivein+%28Tech+Drive-in%29

Also from Jono Bacon http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/05/08/ea-games-and-ubuntu/

Primefalcon
May 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Blimey. When I posted this I did not anticipate so much negativity. Any who another take on it.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/05/ea-starts-publishing-games-in-ubuntu.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+techdrivein+%28Tech+Drive-in%29

Also from Jono Bacon http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/05/08/ea-games-and-ubuntu/
Don't get me wrong if this does work out.... it'll be correcting one of the major things that I think have been holding Linux back.... games...

And I do encourage everyone to donwload both of those EA titles....

Face-Ache
May 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I don't really know a heck of a lot about which game companies are developing games for Linux, i admit. But i do know that EA are one of the biggest publishers on the planet.

So to my mind, as lame as a couple of browser-based games might be, EA are clearly 'dipping their toes in the water'. Even if EA are getting to do that for free, they are still obviously interested in how it all pans out.

If we don't support this kind of thing, i can see them simply saying "Oh we tested the Linux market, and there was little to no interest in people getting into Linux games; so it's not a model that we will be actively pursuing in the future". We'll then likely never hear from them again.

Any business is out to make money, and whilst i can see that EA are often seen as the worst kind of business (shareholder profit over customer satisfaction and innovative, quality product), i just don't think them being more involved in the Linux community, in terms of gaming, as being a bad thing :)

I'd sooner look at the positives from this kind of endeavour, rather than slam it because it's a little (or even significantly) less than people generally expected.

Just my noob-2-cents.

Adrian98
May 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Yes right.. even I am having the same issue! Why do they say it for linux, if they are based on Web based games!:-({|=

philinux
May 10th, 2012, 01:37 PM
More news from EA at UDS.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/ea-delivers-talk-at-ubuntu-developer-summit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

Bandit
May 10th, 2012, 01:48 PM
More news from EA at UDS.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/ea-delivers-talk-at-ubuntu-developer-summit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

Good info here.

Many thanks to Philinux for bringing all this positive information to us.

colobix
May 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
In my opinion, this is a useless add to the software center.
It has nothing to do with software, as these are just urls to browser games.
You'll find online games with google, and you can bookmark them as shortcuts if you want to.
This just goes to show how serious EA is about bringing their games to linux.
They who are new to ubuntu will think we are all a bunch of desperate people who want to become mainstream so bad.
This is not a revolution or anything.
Nothing to see here.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2012, 09:13 PM
In my opinion, this is a useless add to the software center.
It has nothing to do with software, as these are just urls to browser games.
You'll find online games with google, and you can bookmark them as shortcuts if you want to.
This just goes to show how serious EA is about bringing their games to linux.
They who are new to ubuntu will think we are all a bunch of desperate people who want to become mainstream so bad.
This is not a revolution or anything.
Nothing to see here.

So you would prefer that the big players ignore Linux and the +|- 1% be here forever. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

colobix
May 11th, 2012, 10:01 PM
So you would prefer that the big players ignore Linux and the +|- 1% be here forever. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You are missing my point.
I would love for ubuntu to become mainstream. Not to make Ubuntu look desperate.
When people see Command and Conquer in the software center, they'll go "awesome", until they see it's just a link to an online version.
Do you expect people to take something like that seriously?
When people check out ubuntu for the first time and see this, they'll go "ha ha, I knew it was too good to be true" and "these people are trying too hard".
And that's not how to go mainstream or convince people.
Either make a Linux version or skip it.

KiwiNZ
May 12th, 2012, 07:05 AM
You are missing my point.
I would love for ubuntu to become mainstream. Not to make Ubuntu look desperate.
When people see Command and Conquer in the software center, they'll go "awesome", until they see it's just a link to an online version.
Do you expect people to take something like that seriously?
When people check out ubuntu for the first time and see this, they'll go "ha ha, I knew it was too good to be true" and "these people are trying too hard".
And that's not how to go mainstream or convince people.
Either make a Linux version or skip it.

One step at a time is better than no steps at a time

wolfen69
May 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM
One step at a time is better than no steps at a time

Sometimes your words of wisdom fall on deaf ears. A little gain is better than NO gain. It means we're in their sights. I'll take it.

Face-Ache
May 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
They have to start small, try and gauge what sort of actual, real market there is for dedicated Linux games. Why would they invest a whole bunch of cash on a totally unknown quantity?

This is EA testing the waters, so if we want to see more proper games for Linux, we should get behind this kind of thing. IMHO :)

colobix
May 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Well, I guess that's true.
I hope the shortcut thing is just an experiment to collect numbers, ratings and feedback to see how big linux is as a market.
So I guess I've looked at this the wrong way.

Bandit
May 12th, 2012, 10:26 PM
sometimes your words of wisdom fall on deaf ears. A little gain is better than no gain. It means we're in their sights. I'll take it.

++qft++

Dr. C
May 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Actually EA's move should be commended here. It is a good first step and indicative of how GNU / Linux is becoming a lot more mainstream in the gaming industry.

This is not an isolated event coming on the heals of the Valve announcement that they are porting Steam to GNU / Linux. Valve confirms Steam and Source for Linux, signals low confidence for Windows 8 (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/127475-valve-confirms-steam-and-source-for-linux-signals-low-confidence-for-windows-8) I came across this by searching for "Windows 8" in Google; however there is a thread on this in UF in "Recurring Discussions" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1952635

This is starting to look like many in the gaming industry are hedging their bets just in case that Windows 8 turns out to be Vista 2.0

Linux_junkie
May 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm still waiting for EA Sports to release NHL for the Wii in the UK.

Chame_Wizard
May 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Waiting for Valve games!!

loklaan
May 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Waiting for Valve games!!

When was the ETA that Valve mentioned on Steam?

aysiu
May 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Seems to be a false dichotomy here in most of the reactions. It's not some amazing feat to be celebrated. But it's also not nothing or something to be sorely disappointed about.

It's a step, a very small step, in the right direction. Recognize it for what it is. Don't get angry. Don't break out the champagne. Just be happy for the little bit that may mean more later.

MasterNetra
May 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Seems to be a false dichotomy here in most of the reactions. It's not some amazing feat to be celebrated. But it's also not nothing or something to be sorely disappointed about.

It's a step, a very small step, in the right direction. Recognize it for what it is. Don't get angry. Don't break out the champagne. Just be happy for the little bit that may mean more later.

+1

Mean while I would suggest simply getting them, even if you don't play them (unless your short on HD space) the traffic could help encourage them to provide more which could result in better quality games (in time).