PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 12.4 and Gnome 2 menus

ctav01
May 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I liked my Gnome 2 desktop so when I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.4, I got rid of Unity and followed whatever steps it took to get back to Gnome 2. Somewhere in the upgrade to 11.10, I lost my System menu. In the upper left where it used to say Applications, Places and System now just had the first two but the Administration menu entries were now under Applications > Other. Not great but I could work with it. Then I upgraded to 12.4 and now the Other menu is gone. So now my system says it has programs like "Update Manager" installed but it's nowhere in my menus. I switched over to the XFCE desktop manager and it worked okay until today when it started doing some strange things so I'm back to Gnome and trying to fix this menu kerfluffle. Any suggestions?

wilee-nilee
May 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
If any of the customizations included a ppa they need to be re-enabled on a upgrade.

ctav01
May 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks. I checked my PPA list and nothing looks like it ties into Gnome and the only thing that had been disabled by an upgrade was Dropbox (which is weird since my Dropbox is still working).

ctav01
May 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Nevermind. Now they're under Applications > System Tools. Thanks again.

wilee-nilee
May 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks. I checked my PPA list and nothing looks like it ties into Gnome and the only thing that had been disabled by an upgrade was Dropbox (which is weird since my Dropbox is still working).

The only thing I can really say is that when you tweak the OS a lot it "can" cause problems. In remembering what you did, lol, and in a upgrade to the next release. Personally I follow a protocol of fresh installs. But I clone the original and save a install list of all the installed packages and repositories including the PPA's.

I keep all my stuff that I can't lose on a external, basically my computers are just operating systems. Right now I have four OS on my HD.

OS upgrades seem to work fine for most people, but for me it is faster generally to do it this way, and I like a clean OS to start with.