PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 12.04 ati video card non-smooth motion of windows.

odror
May 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
desktop: Unity or gnome 3
CPU: core i7 950
RAM 9GB
video card: ATI HD 6850

When dragging a window I get a jumpy non-smooth movement.In CCSM opengl is set to Sync to VBlank. No texture compression and Texture Filter is good. Any other ideas how can it be improved or fixed. Thanks

lukeiamyourfather
May 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM
What drivers? If you haven't already try installing the binary drivers from AMD using the "Additional Drivers" utility.

odror
May 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
What drivers? If you haven't already try installing the binary drivers from AMD using the "Additional Drivers" utility.
That is correct that is the driver that I am using. Am I missing something. Is the overhead with compiz/unity the problem? I thought that the HD6850 is a good card.

odror
May 9th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I would like to add that there is no issue with unity-2d. In gnome 3 it is not as bad as in unity-3d. So it is likely to be a compiz/unity-3d issue or setup issue.

debili
May 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
hello, i'm looking into buying this card. please, did you manage to resolve the issues please?

odror
May 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM
hello, i'm looking into buying this card. please, did you manage to resolve the issues please?
When I use KDE now I do not have issues. I also had to do disable VBlank and compiz and catalyst.

sffvba[e0rt
May 30th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Odd. I have the exact same card and after having installed the proprietary driver and fixed my monitors edid info Ubuntu works very well for me...