PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Desktop Cube Compiz Issues

Revolutionary101
May 8th, 2012, 05:39 AM
I have been working with Compiz and I decided to enable the Desktop Cube. I have used the Desktop Cube on previous versions of Ubuntu (pre-Unity) and have never since tried it again because of issues with my new laptop's Nvidia 540M graphcis card. However since I have 3D acceleration working with my Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics in 12.04, I decided to try it again.

First off, I have an issue when I rotate the cube (switching from workspace to workspace, using ctrl+(Left or Right) and when I use the cube "expose"). When I switch it shows the correct workspace, however for a split second after switching, it will flash the previous workspace that I was on.

Secondly, I have chosen to make a 3x3 workspace arrangement so due to the fact that the cube feature only deals with the workspaces in that row, I have decided to make a cylindrical "cube". Although with this I have noticed the 3D window feature doesn't work properly. Often times I notice a window behaving like the 3D representation of the cube is actually a cube and not a cylinder. I will post a picture to better describe what I am experiencing here.

Thank you for any help that can be offered!

Revolutionary101
May 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM
bump?

LewisTM
May 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM
The cube flashing problem is an old bug and has been discussed elsewhere in detail. Sadly there is no fix aside from downgrading to the Compiz packages found in Natty.
http://sodnpoo.com/posts.xml/oneiric_compiz_downgrade.xml

Personally I just use the desktop wall instead. Less "flashy" in every sense of the word.

Cheers!

Revolutionary101
May 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Thank you for that information! I may just switch back to the Desktop Wall to avoid this bug and hope that it is fixed in the future. Desktop Cube wasn't a "must have" feature for me anyways.

Paddy Landau
May 10th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I get the same problems with a 4-side cube & cylinder.

The cube and optional cylinder do make Linux more attractive to potential users.

Additionally, I have found that ex-Windows users find multiple workspaces confusing and don't like them; but when I add the cube, they suddenly understand ("Ah-ha!") and can make use of the workspaces.

So, although this is hardly a "must-have" feature, perhaps it is a "should-have" feature.

Where should this be reported as a bug -- to Compiz or Unity developers?

mc4man
May 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Many users of cube/rotate don't actually ever use the 'cube', more so to use rotate which needs something to rotate.
Personally don't like wall because of use of 'Desktop based viewport switching', (scroll on Desktop), where wall is not as good as rotate.

Anyway the flashing issue has been fixed but not yet released, it also caused flashing in Expo (workspace switcher

The 3d windows plugin is nowhere near a supported plugin in compiz, so if using what you get is what you get

Paddy Landau
May 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM
The 3d windows plugin is nowhere near a supported plugin in compiz, so if using what you get is what you get
Thanks.

r_avital
June 4th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Anyway the flashing issue has been fixed but not yet released, it also caused flashing in Expo (workspace switcher

Thanks for the info. Any word on when it will be released?

I tried the downgrade suggestion above, but when updating sources I get an error that not all repositories could be updated, and the apt-get install fails.

Obviously, this is never a "must have" - and with utmost respect to all, this is irrelevant. The point is, it worked perfectly in previous versions, it doesn't know.

In my case:

when logging in to Precise, I have a 2x2 workspace "switcher" in the bottom panel (using Gnome "classic"), showing 4 workspaces, but a right-click on that brings up the preferences screen showing that I only have one workspace in one row.

Increasing the number of workspaces to 4, still in 1 row, the "switcher" on the bottom panel shows the correct count. Trying to rotate to another workspace just flashes the screen, shows me an empty workspace, but the switcher still highlights the 1st workspace.
Rotating again in the same direction should bring me to workspace #3, but it simply flashes again and returns to workspace #1.
Actually clicking on any workspace in the switcher other than #1, gives a screen with no open windows or apps, no panels, no way to get back. Only Ctrl+Alt+Delete, brings me back to the 1st workspace (with a shutdown/restart confirmation screen which I can cancel).

Again, we can all live without it. The point is, it was working perfectly before (I was on Lucid and upgraded from DVD directly to Precise, on the reasonable assumption that you should be able to upgrade from one LTS to the next LTS without issues).

Oh, and I don't know if this is related or not, but ctrl+tab no longer switches between open applications.

Any updates on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

mc4man
June 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM
The fix is in compiz-0.9.8 which will be in 12.10.
As far as 12.04 - it's somewhat likely to be added though there could be concerns that delay for a while

bug report here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/862430

There is currently a pre-proposed ppa with the 'semi-fixed' compiz, if one is *using the nvidia drivers - YOU DON'T WANT TO USE the ppa*, unless you can live without window decorations
Doesn't affect the nouveau drivers

The nvidia issue has been fixed but isn't in the pre ppa - ppa link -

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/862430/comments/66

Note that there is also a small places plugin snafu in that ppa version, also fixed but not in ppa

If you wanted to build compiz then all the current issues in general & affecting nvidia can be patched.
Otherwise maybe this month or so.

nvidia issue bug in the compiz fix
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1002602

places plugin bug from compiz fix
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+bug/1002606

Paddy Landau
June 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
ctrl+tab no longer switches between open applications.
It never did. Ctrl-Tab switches between tabs, e.g. in Firefox. Alt-Tab switches between open applications. Alt-` switches between multiple open windows in a single application, e.g. Thunderbird's main window and compose window.

arpad9
June 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Could someone tell me how to move a window from one viewport to another using the keyboard? Two ways: move the window and follow it to the new viewport -- move the window without following it.

It's just that I used these features all the time without having to find the mouse, find the workspace tile in dash and drag the window over...

The desktop cube isn't just "candy," it's a functional part of my daily use of Linux that positively distinguishes it from the other O/S's. Just one of the things that made Linux better as the best desktop UI available.

Unity seems to take away features to downgrade the experience to that of a Mac. Doesn't seem like a great strategy.

arpad9
June 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
'Course, now that I'm using this wall thing, I realize that I also can't switch viewports with the mousewheel or grab the desktop with the middle button and rotate it. Frustrating.

The nice thing about compiz is that it gives you choices. Linux: use the keyboard OR the mouse depending on what's convenient at the time. Mac: require the use of the keyboard AND the mouse to do some things irrespective of what's convenient to the user.

Paddy Landau
June 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
move the window and follow it to the new viewport
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+arrow

move the window without following it
As far as I know, there is no keyboard short-cut for this nor does Compiz provide an option.

Paddy Landau
June 17th, 2012, 04:34 PM
'Course, now that I'm using this wall thing, I realize that I also can't switch viewports with the mousewheel or grab the desktop with the middle button and rotate it.
CompizConfig Settings Manager > Desktop > Rotate Cube > Bindings > Initiate > set whichever mouse button you prefer.

Be aware, as already stated in a previous post, that Desktop Cube in 12.04 is buggy. You may want to use normal Desktop Wall instead until it is fixed.

Dngrsone
June 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Could someone tell me how to move a window from one viewport to another using the keyboard? Two ways: move the window and follow it to the new viewport -- move the window without following it.

You can right-click the window and send it to another desktop without following it; you should be able to create a hot-key combination for that...

arpad9
June 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
You can right-click the window and send it to another desktop without following it; you should be able to create a hot-key combination for that...

Oh, that's brilliant. Thanks!!

arpad9
June 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Shift+Ctrl+Alt+arrow

As far as I know, there is no keyboard short-cut for this nor does Compiz provide an option.

I had Ctrl-Alt-<number> setup for moving with the window to desktops 1-6 and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-<number> for moving window without the desktop.

The net of my posts is that I see a lot of "people don't need to do this" style attitudes these days from FOSS projects. With deference to their efforts, I still thing this is wrong thinking. The beauty of compiz is/was it's nearly limitless options. Thank you for the suggestions, though, I'm getting there.

How many have used window grouping or the shelf? The entirety of the possibilities with Compiz lets people create desktop environments OSX and Windows users often don't even understand. "What was that???"

Getting a non-buggy Compiz cube back or less limited options for Unity or Gnome3 would be the most ideal.

Paddy Landau
June 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I had Ctrl-Alt-<number> setup for moving with the window to desktops 1-6 and Ctrl-Alt-Shift-<number> for moving window without the desktop.
In that case, you can create your own keystrokes in CCSM > Desktop > Rotate Cube > Bindings.

The net of my posts is that I see a lot of "people don't need to do this" style attitudes these days from FOSS projects.
Yes, I think that may be to do with Ubuntu, which is in all honesty not targeted at people who want to do limitless customisations, but rather at "ordinary users" who just want to get on with their work.

How many have used window grouping or the shelf?
Please explain; I have not come across those terms before.

arpad9
June 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Compiz has "Group and Tab Windows," which allows you to group 2 or more windows together and then "spin" them. I usually only do 2 but hey, I'm a crazy person. I have a gnome-terminal with 11 screen sessions and a second terminal on the "back" of it with more screen sessions (for another project) and 6 desktops with other categorizations of work.

The Compiz Shelf allows you to miniaturize windows on your desktop to varying sizes, mapped to key strokes. So it's a kind of minimize but with the windows still organized, in front of you. Honestly, I've never used this too much but it's sorta cool and I could see how it might be useful. I separate by desktops instead.

Dngrsone
June 19th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I separate by desktops as well, and a useful function of the Unity bar (up 'til recently) was the ability to click on an icon and spin over to another desktop.

What I should do is make a button that spins to the next desktop... http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/rolleyes.gif

Paddy Landau
June 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Compiz has "Group and Tab Windows," ...
Thanks for the explanation. I guess some people would find that useful, particularly on large multi-monitors. For a single monitor, personally, I feel that using separate desktops is more useful.

a useful function of the Unity bar (up 'til recently) was the ability to click on an icon and spin over to another desktop.
That still works for me. I'm surprised it doesn't for you. But Unity is still a bit buggy.

What I should do is make a button that spins to the next desktop... http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/rolleyes.gif
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+arrow does this.

Dngrsone
June 19th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I use several different profiles in Firefox for different purposes, and have different launchers for each profile.

Unfortunately, a recent update 'fixed' Firefox so that the default launcher captures all Firefox windows, regardless of which profile launcher launched it, so I can't just click on the profile icon to zip over to it anymore...

I know about the hot-keys for moving the cube around, I was just thinking about using a launcher button to spin the cube around when I am mousing and don't have hands on the keyboard.

... dangit! I just realized why my add-on buttons are all messed up-- Mozilla added some stupid 'User Studies' crap to my browser! http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/argh.gif

LewisTM
June 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I know about the hot-keys for moving the cube around, I was just thinking about using a launcher button to spin the cube around when I am mousing and don't have hands on the keyboard.

Install xdotool then make a launcher with command

xdotool key <your Compiz shortcut>
For example to rotate to Face #1.

xdotool key Super+1
Sadly that won't work with the Wall, I still haven't found a way to switch to a given viewport. xdotool offers some functions in that regard but it's still not enough.

Paddy Landau
June 19th, 2012, 02:57 PM
LewisTM, that's clever. I shall remember that trick.

Dngrsone
June 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Install xdotool then make a launcher with command

xdotool key <your Compiz shortcut>
For example to rotate to Face #1.

xdotool key Super+1
Sadly that won't work with the Wall, I still haven't found a way to switch to a given viewport. xdotool offers some functions in that regard but it's still not enough.

Hrm. There is a command-line that will spin the cube: wmctrl

I found a tidbit here (http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/4082/rotate-the-compiz-cube-via-command-line). You need to know your resolution and not be changing it all the time (unless you'd want to do some serious coding...)

LewisTM
June 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I had tried wmctrl before but couldn't understand its syntax. The link cleared it up, it works now. Thanks!

stinkeye
June 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Another way to spin the cube without the keyboard is using easystroke mouse gestures.
Set the gestures to your compiz shortcuts.

Dngrsone
June 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Another way to spin the cube without the keyboard is using easystroke mouse gestures.
Set the gestures to your compiz shortcuts.

Nice!

arpad9
June 20th, 2012, 12:15 PM
The rotate cube settings don't work because you don't have desktop space open? I've always used mouse 4 and 5 to rotate and had it set to be grabbed and moved with the middle button.

Paddy Landau
June 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
... I've always used mouse 4 and 5 ...
How many buttons does your mouse have? I didn't know they came with more than three.

Dngrsone
June 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mine has ten:

Left
Right
Scroll up
Scroll down
Scroll button straight down
Scroll left
Scroll right
Forward thumb button
After thumb button
Zoom button

It's a $35 Logitech cordless.

Paddy Landau
June 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Mine has ten:...
Well, thanks for those... I hadn't realised that some actions were considered to be buttons!

I have three physical buttons (left, right and middle) but more logical ones:

Left click
Middle click
Right click
Middle scroll up
Middle scroll down

I also have middle scroll left and middle scroll right (which do work for scrolling, e.g. in text), but Compiz doesn't seem to recognise them as any button.

DorianX
July 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Has anyone else experienced this particular peice of weirdness: Once I finally got the desktop cube up-and-running, I tried to carry it over to another desktop with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right. The cube rotated, the window came with it, but then the instant the cube finished rotating, the window "snapped back" to the desktop that it was previously on. Haven't been able to successfully carry windows from one desktop to another without dragging them, which is cumbersome to the point of being broken

Edit: I notice that when I rotate, there's a little "blip" right when the cube comes to a rest where it flashes back to the contents of the cube face I started on. Seems like that might be related

stinkeye
July 2nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Has anyone else experienced this particular peice of weirdness: Once I finally got the desktop cube up-and-running, I tried to carry it over to another desktop with Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right. The cube rotated, the window came with it, but then the instant the cube finished rotating, the window "snapped back" to the desktop that it was previously on. Haven't been able to successfully carry windows from one desktop to another without dragging them, which is cumbersome to the point of being broken

Edit: I notice that when I rotate, there's a little "blip" right when the cube comes to a rest where it flashes back to the contents of the cube face I started on. Seems like that might be related
Old bug.
You can try a compiz/proposed ppa which will fix.
I am using at the moment with an nvidia card.
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273)

DorianX
July 3rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
Old bug.
You can try a compiz/proposed ppa which will fix.
I am using at the moment with an nvidia card.
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1996273)

Thanks. That cleared up my issue. I did notice that the CPU usage of compiz shot through the roof until I turned off some of the visual effects that defaulted on, but otherwise it's fairly smooth.

Now I just have tofind a theme that's a little bit less aggressively ugly

stinkeye
July 3rd, 2012, 04:52 AM
Thanks. That cleared up my issue. I did notice that the CPU usage of compiz shot through the roof until I turned off some of the visual effects that defaulted on, but otherwise it's fairly smooth.

Now I just have tofind a theme that's a little bit less aggressively ugly
I like this theme.Plain and unobtrusive.
https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/selene (https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/selene)

Deb download (https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/selene/+files/selene-theme_3.4.5-0ubuntu3~tista1_all.deb)

Jetro
November 8th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Hard to know which topic to follow, but I am getting EXACTLY this. The windows go mental if you try to drag them over to another workspace when cubing, only to return to their original position. And this is in Ubuntu 12.10 (Nvidia Geforce GTX 560M).

Paddy Landau
November 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hard to know which topic to follow, but I am getting EXACTLY this.
It is a bug with Compiz in Ubuntu. I don't know why. There is no date for resolution; you just have to not use the cube (or use a different distro).

AliPM
November 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I have used the desktop cube in 10.04 on my desktop (AMD X2 2.9ghz powered, with an ATI HD4200 graphics card) for a couple of years with no problems, in fact I find it very useful, but trying to use it on my Lenovo S205 (AMD E300 fusion chipset) running 12.04 was an exercise in futility.

Using Gnome-classic desktop, I had the problem with the last workspace flashing up after changing to another one, taskbar buttons not disappearing after a program was closed, and eventually I had to hard reset because the system just froze when I changed back to Desktop Wall.

Not exactly a big deal, but a bit disappointing after being used to it working so seamlessly on my desktop.

Paddy Landau
November 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Not exactly a big deal, but a bit disappointing after being used to it working so seamlessly on my desktop.
Very disappointing. To me, the Cube is one of the best features on Compiz, and I miss it greatly.

You can find many unresolved bugs regarding the Cube on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/).

cornflake000
January 31st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Here it is, the end of January 2013, and the problem of compiz cube and flashing is still unfixed in 12.04 LTS. Yes, that's LTS. LTSs have always been the best tried and proven version in a cycle. I guess not this time.

People like myself appreciate compiz and the cube and those niceties deserve some attention along with the old taskbar apps like Charachter Palette etc. etc. The old non-unity platform was much more realistic and useful let alone more enjoyable. The dumbing down of Ubuntu is a mindset that is not condusive to progress; it's even a sign of society gone stupid. It would be nice if progress was more important than appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Is it that much of a problem to make something work that has always worked before or is simplicity getting in the way?

Please, let's have compiz and other apps available to those who have always appreciated them. I don't want progress at the cost of progress.

monkeybrain2012
January 31st, 2013, 01:07 AM
Here it is, the end of January 2013, and the problem of compiz cube and flashing is still unfixed in 12.04 LTS. Yes, that's LTS. LTSs have always been the best tried and proven version in a cycle. I guess not this time.

People like myself appreciate compiz and the cube and those niceties deserve some attention along with the old taskbar apps like Charachter Palette etc. etc. The old non-unity platform was much more realistic and useful let alone more enjoyable. The dumbing down of Ubuntu is a mindset that is not condusive to progress; it's even a sign of society gone stupid. It would be nice if progress was more important than appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Is it that much of a problem to make something work that has always worked before or is simplicity getting in the way?

Please, let's have compiz and other apps available to those who have always appreciated them. I don't want progress at the cost of progress.

The cube is fixed in 12.10.

The developers have been working hard. You can find updated info about compiz on this blog.
http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/

cornflake000
January 31st, 2013, 02:00 AM
Thank you. Nice article. Moving out of LTS means I'm doomed to follow through to the next LTS which means possibly more "improvements" I do not want. If this LTS is not working correctly then moving on to the non-lts is a decision that carries a little dread. I like having an LTS that I can sit on for a long while with the stability that goes along with updates solely for improvement of the product, not the instability of "progress" if that's what you call it.

I'm glad the developers are working hard and doing their best to make the product work. But, the problem is, it's the choices that were made in the last couple of cycles that have put them into a position of spinning their wheels to make up for those bad choices. I'd rather think they could have put their energy into real improvements or leave well alone.

Not a snark, but if this LTS is not a stable product, I will be moving on... and I don't like to make that choice. I use other distros and still have held on to Ubuntu on some of my machines for a lot of reasons including sentimental ones. I don't think that is in the cards anymore though.

Thanks for your time.

cornflake000
January 31st, 2013, 03:21 AM
I was just reading that the 12.04.2 Alpha 2 (for opt-in flavors) is comming out in mid February. Maybe things get better for the LTS in that version. I can wait.

Paddy Landau
January 31st, 2013, 11:40 AM
The cube is fixed in 12.10.
Good to know! I miss the cube. Do you think it will be backported to 12.04?

The dumbing down of Ubuntu is a mindset that is not condusive to progress; it's even a sign of society gone stupid. It would be nice if progress was more important than appeal to the lowest common denominator.
That is an interesting, if judgemental, take. I have to disagree. I think Unity was a brilliant conception, albeit that it had quite a few flaws at the beginning. It is hardly a "dumbing down" of Ubuntu, any more than introducing automatic gear shift was a "dumbing down" of driving. Making a computer easier to use is important, because the computer is (for most of us, anyway) a tool, not an end in itself. When computers are as intuitive as toasters, that will be a day to celebrate. Android and iPad have gone a long way towards that view, and I personally believe that Canonical's Ubuntu is part of the move.

I certainly understand that many people dislike Unity, and that's why it is great that alternatives exist, from Kubuntu to Mint to all the other non-Ubuntu distributions — or even Windows or Apple ;).

I was just reading that the 12.04.2 Alpha 2 (for opt-in flavors) is comming out in mid February. Maybe things get better for the LTS in that version. I can wait.
I'll also stick with 12.04 (I prefer not to upgrade every six months) until 14.04.

Did you read that Canonical is considering doing away with the six-month cycle (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue301#Ubuntu_considers_.2BIBw-huge.2BIB0_change_that_would_end_traditional_relea se_cycle)? It's only an idea at this stage, so we'll have to wait to find out what happens.

Dngrsone
January 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM
I must also disagree-- LTS is stable. Though I laso lament some of the decisions made regarding this distribution, past and present.

I, too, like Unity, and I also like the cube, though I understand that hacking compiz into Unity is not the best way of going about it.

Ideally, I'd like to see some of the power of the KDE interface incorporated into the Unity package (can't stand KDE personally, but I love the cube and having separate wallpapers on each desktop).

I do not like having my laptop computer connected to the 'cloud' and sharing me with the entire internet upon installation of the operating system, so, I will refrain from upgrading.

Either Canonical will get a clue and make their marketing crap optional when performing the install, or I will find an alternative OS within the next few years.

monkeybrain2012
January 31st, 2013, 07:54 PM
Good to know! I miss the cube. Do you think it will be backported to 12.04?

Hope so, 12.04.2 will come out in 2 weeks, hopefully compiz will be upgraded then, if not it probably will come later or through a ppa (the compiz experimental ppa right now doesn't work for 12.04 because of version conflict with Unity, but Unity will certainly be updated at some point)

Also I think there are tutorials on this forum on how to build Compiz and unity yourself (mc4man?) You can try that if you don't want to wait or move to 12.10.

Bad news is that 3d windows still doesn't work properly and probably not supported any more.

Paddy Landau
January 31st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Bad news is that 3d windows still doesn't work properly and probably not supported any more.
Well, that's a pity, but not such a big deal. The cube is great for two reasons: newcomers to Ubuntu who don't understand multiple workspaces find the cube intuitive; and there is no "first" workspace, as they wrap around.

cornflake000
January 31st, 2013, 09:13 PM
Making a computer easier to use is important, because the computer is (for most of us, anyway) a tool, not an end in itself.

But that's part of my point. It is not easier nor more usable. It's thinner, duller. And to recreate what was already there that I need takes a lot of wasted time and effort. I'm not only talking about compiz, I am also talking about taskbar apps, etc. We were never forced to have those apps, but if we wanted them they were there. Now we have no other choice but to go to lengths to use them or use substitutes that are inferior. Definitely not easier.

When computers are as intuitive as toasters, that will be a day to celebrate. Android and iPad have gone a long way towards that view, and I personally believe that Canonical's Ubuntu is part of the move.

If the computer that is as easy as toasters was a choice, and the computer that has the capacity for advanced users was another choice, and the computer that has apps we want, unsacrificed by "progress" was another, that will be a day to celebrate. Ubuntu was almost there with Lynx, but have strayed far from it now. We are forced to do things according to the god of progress which has shown herself not to be progressive at all but digressive at the sacrifice of progress. As for iPad and Android, you have got to be kidding. Apples and Oranges? PCs vs. Hand helds... two different paradigms trying to be merged equals exclusion, lost usefulness, and wasted effort.

...dislike Unity, and that's why it is great that alternatives exist, from Kubuntu to Mint to all the other non-Ubuntu distributions — or even Windows or Apple ;).

I have used and use many Linux ditros and have done so for many years... But you seem to have totally missed the point.

(end rant.)

Paddy Landau
February 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
… It is not easier nor more usable. It's thinner, duller…
Well, each to his own. I must say that I love Unity, as do many people. I have spent far less time supporting family members with Unity than with 10.04 or earlier versions; that speaks volumes about Unity's usability (well, it does to me; YMMV).

We are forced to do things according to the god of progress…
Are you kidding me? "Forced"? Heavens above, this is not Windows or Mac, and even with them you have the option to leave! You have the choice of at least a dozen mainstream alternative distributions (a few supported by Canonical), and hundreds of non-mainstream. If you don't like Unity, don't use it! I have noticed that most people who dislike Unity seem to move to either Xubuntu or Mint, so why don't you try those? They are but two of many excellent distributions.

… two different paradigms trying to be merged equals exclusion, lost usefulness, and wasted effort.
Well, that is an opinion that is up to the developers. Microsoft (with its new Windows UI) and Canonical (with Unity) have decided that it means greater inclusion, increased usefulness, and reduced effort. It's their prerogative to make the decision, and the consequences of their decisions rest on them.

At this point, you can make your reply, but I shall be bowing out of this discussion to prevent it from getting out of hand. (You get the last word :) ).

monkeybrain2012
February 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
If the computer that is as easy as toasters was a choice, and the computer that has the capacity for advanced users was another choice, and the computer that has apps we want, unsacrificed by "progress" was another, that will be a day to celebrate. Ubuntu was almost there with Lynx, but have strayed far from it now. We are forced to do things according to the god of progress which has shown herself not to be progressive at all but digressive at the sacrifice of progress. As for iPad and Android, you have got to be kidding. Apples and Oranges? PCs vs. Hand helds... two different paradigms trying to be merged equals exclusion, lost usefulness, and wasted effort.

I have used and use many Linux ditros and have done so for many years... But you seem to have totally missed the point.

(end rant.)

If you are a truly advanced user you can contribute some codes to Compiz. They are in need of maintainers and contributors for
plugins, you know.

If you are a truly advanced user you probably don't need anything but a terminal, and Ubuntu offers that option too and all the tools in between. so I can't see how it is "dumbing down".

cornflake000
February 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Well, each to his own.
At this point, you can make your reply, but I shall be bowing out of this discussion to prevent it from getting out of hand. (You get the last word :) ).

Actually, I already bowed out with (end rant). But I guess I will have the last word if you wish. Of course it's all opinion. Be well. ):P

cornflake000
February 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
If you are a truly advanced user you can contribute some codes to Compiz. They are in need of maintainers and contributors for
plugins, you know.

If you are a truly advanced user you probably don't need anything but a terminal, and Ubuntu offers that option too and all the tools in between. so I can't see how it is "dumbing down".

I ended my contributions around the time of Karmic. I work on Enlightenment occasionally, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Ubuntu. Even though my Linux journey started considerably before Ubuntu, it was the first OS to get me excited about the prospect of Linux becoming main stream. It's just going where I don't wish to go and it's been a slow letting go, I guess.

My rant was true to me, but I mean no disrespect towards those who make the decisions. I simply differ in opinion from the Steve Jobs, Shuttlesworth, Microsoft, thinking.

Thanks for your comment. I'll now disapear for another year I guess.