PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

sammiev
May 8th, 2012, 03:52 AM
What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

1. Bring it to the cutting edge.

2. More testers in the Alpha stage to help the above.

3. More public input and updates.

4. You can now stone the poster of this thread! :)

VinDSL
May 8th, 2012, 05:45 AM
1. Lots of breakage.

2. I'm bored...

ventrical
May 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM
1. Lots of breakage.

2. I'm bored...

Here , here ! :)

ArtLaForge
May 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
HI Bleading edge daredevils; I would like to see more drivers implemented. I often get a popup for additional drivers and it is always the nvidia, with two options and most of the time the recommended one is already active. However I do have "and it is recognized in the usb devices" a usb wireless device, a cisco/linksys ae1000 that is supported in Fedora. I would like to see that device get recognized like my printer does and get a message that it is searching for a driver, then install it, just like the printer....

Too much to ask? :p

pressureman
May 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Firefox with WebRTC support (https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/04/webrtc-efforts-underway-at-mozilla/) (Firefox 14?)
GIMP 2.8 in main repos
Gnome Boxes (https://live.gnome.org/Boxes)
Google Drive client
Switchable graphics support

I'm sure I'll think of more...

hakermania
May 8th, 2012, 11:58 AM
1) Easy configurable Dash with much more options for tweaking
2) All desktop effects to be easily and safely configurable from Compiz

That's the main things, stability is more than OK for me!

Ubuntu Warrior
May 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Ubuntu 12.04 is seriously lacking in polishing!!! Having done a dist upgrade on my machine the Unity stuff seems to freak out the background image and the tooltip things from the launcher become all gobbildy-gook. Everything is ok after a clean start but then degrades rapidly - mostly after only using Firefox. Not providing an advanced screensaver is a big mistake IMO.

I have a user base of around 300 desktops on 11.04 and would like to upgrade at some point in the near future but my users will throttle me if I give them 12.04 as it currently stands. I am a 100% Linux convert but still think that the various desktop offerings are way behind the Windows and OSX ones when evaluating the 'small' things. Often with a user it is the 'small' things that make the difference and lead to them either hating or loving a platform. As a techie I tend to ignore these things for the bigger picture but it sure makes my life a misery when trying to convince an average user to join me on my quest.

Come on developers, more attention to detail please.

grahammechanical
May 8th, 2012, 02:13 PM
What does this actually mean>

1. Bring it to the cutting edge.

More than enough people want Ubuntu to stay as it was. It is too late for that. In many ways Ubuntu is at the cutting edge. Ubuntu phones, Ubuntu touch tablets, Ubuntu TV, Ubuntu on rack-ready 48-node 192- core ARM server (shown at UDS yesrday)

Part of the answer to this

3. More public input and updates.

is - get involved in this

http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-q/

There are blueprints for everything being discussed and it is possible to add comments/suggestions for discussion.

The blueprints are the basis for what the developers try to achieve during each development cycle.

Regards.

philinux
May 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Unity 5.12 has just landed in Precise and Quantal.

Lots of bug fixes and improvements. The way this is going is great.

It's slick and fast. More of the this please.

http://iloveubuntu.net/unity-512-landed-ubuntu-1204-numerous-bug-fixes-and-improvements

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/5.12-0ubuntu1

ventrical
May 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
1. Multi-Dimensional Mouse Worm-holeing to overlayed shuffling icons.
2. Virtual, switchable desktops without log-off or re-boot from Unity Launcher.
3. In situ kernel popping and dumping.
4. Vertical rolling of compiz cube.
5. Workable and Comprehensive customizable GRUB Desktop.
6. Kernel ramming virtual environment for beta testers.
7. Suspendable background embedded desktops that are dumpable.

:)

Other than that .. Unity rocks ! :)

bmbaker
May 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
i would really like the choice of desktop when installing ubuntu :-)

unity or gnome-shell etc!!

jerome1232
May 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
The main thing I'm looking for is further development on Unity, I love the direction it's going but it needs more love. More customization (like a movable launcher for instance, or even multiple launchers) Bring a few more options from ccsm into the default custimizer (the amount of pixels I had to push into my launcher and to get into my second monitor for instance, was ridiculous, I changed from defaults of 20px to 5px for launcher and 10px for moving to another monitor)

It would also be nice to get Unity to play better with other compiz plugins. I think more user friendly recovery options from a live cd would be a huge plus, something that can find and fix common permissions with a users /home, reconfigure the x.server, a graphical way to reinstall grub etc...

sudodus
May 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Focus on improved hardware detection

This will make it easier particularly for new *ubuntu users.

It is important to keep detection of older hardware, that is detected by previous versions. I think we have a chance to get many new users at the end of life of XP (2014). But it will be important that it is easy enough to get *ubuntu running on typical XP hardware.

It is important to detect new hardware. I know it is difficult, but it is very important. If new hardware won't work out of the box, *ubuntu is no alternative for most people with new computers.

u2nTu
May 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Easy setup for dual-seat / multi-seat config.

Is there even a 'by the book' method for this now? Been searching, but only finding bits and pieces. (Links and info welcome!)

effenberg0x0
May 9th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Better, easier, automated setup of NFS/NIS, considering environments with no Win32 machines need no smb.

Regards,
Effenberg

iMurshaq
May 9th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Is it wrong to say GNOME 2?

cariboo
May 9th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Is it wrong to say GNOME 2?

Yes it is. If you want to use the old two panel interface, you already have enough choices running 12.04.

Choice is what Linux is all about, you can use gnome-classic, Mate, or Cinnamon, if Unity, or Gnome-shell don't work for you.

VinDSL
May 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM
GIMP 2.8 in main repos

OMG!!!

You don't ask for too much, do you?!?!?

I'd lay down in the hallway, and have sex with Mr. Shuttleworth, if they'd do that... LoL! :D

OGpmpdog
May 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hi all,

Day 2 at UDS is winding down...I see a lotta dudes enjoying happy hour before the evening circus, hosted by Google...

I'd like to see my printer settings remembered...Now, I have to set the job parameters EVERY time I print a new document...this is hardly show-stopping, but it's irritating.

Peace.

fballem
May 9th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Better documentation (at a minimum) to be able to add custom themes to Unity, including background, icons, fonts, and other niceness. It would be very nice to know how to build and package themes so that they can be easily installed either as a system wide option or by and for an individual user. Would like the same for the greeter.
A simple way to remove the Global Menus. I have a handicapped user who would have a serious challenge with Global menus. He is currently using 10.04, which is working well, but I would like to upgrade him. Ideally this should be a configuration option in the System Settings menu.
A choice of Evolution or Thunderbird as the e-mail client - including selecting from the Envelope icon on the top bar (not sure of the correct terms). I use Evolution and it took me a lot of work to get it to work properly - I had to uninstall Thunderbird.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but this is a reasonable wishlist.

VinDSL
May 9th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Day 2 at UDS is winding down...I see a lotta dudes enjoying happy hour before the evening circus, hosted by Google...
Heh! That's the way it always goes.

Then, when they sober-up, they're meaner than ever... :lolflag:

kaldor
May 9th, 2012, 03:39 AM
One thing that's always bothered me on Linux that I'd love to see fixed...

I'd like to be able to do gaming in Unity 3d (Compiz). As it stands, I get horrible stutter and FPS drops when any form of compositing is enabled. Prior to the Unity switch I was able to simply disable desktop effects. Now, this is no longer an option.. I need to disrupt my workflow by logging into a non-composited desktop session.

Windows and Mac OS X, and even KDE to some extent, seem to manage this very well. However, gaming on GNOME 3/Unity with compositing is quite suboptimal and not really playable. Maybe it's different on certain higher-end cards.

I don't think this is specific to my hardware, either. It happens on both my production machines (always has), and I've fixed problems for people in the past by telling them "disable Compiz". Cards range anywhere from Intel graphics to high end NVIDIA.

This has annoyed me quite a lot since upgrading to Precise on my main PC.

jbicha
May 9th, 2012, 03:39 AM
inline reply...

GIMP 2.8 in main repos

That's already being worked on. The Debian package just landed in Debian experimental today.

Gnome Boxes

That will happen after libvirt gets updated. It won't be on the default CD but it will definitely be available for install in 12.10.

Google Drive client

Judging from Google's previous record, I'm going to assume that their client won't be open source so it won't be in Ubuntu's archives. Google has promised that it's coming soon.

pressureman
May 9th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Judging from Google's previous record, I'm going to assume that their client won't be open source so it won't be in Ubuntu's archives. Google has promised that it's coming soon.

Not even in the partner repository, or extras.ubuntu.com? Skype isn't open source either, but that's in the repos.

Meh... in any case, I've seen a few other Google-sponsored projects offer 32/64 bit debs and rpms. That probably covers a good 90% of Linux users.

Starks
May 9th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Delta debs. I've been waiting since the Feisty cycle.

I'd also like hybrid graphics support, but I can't see it before 13.04. A third of the necessary work will land for 12.10.

Skaperen
May 9th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I want to see an installer ... specifically the partition editor ... that can handle an existing GUID partition table that has a large number of partitions because it is a multi-boot system. On mine with 58 partitions (set up to test logs of distros and editions), every Ubuntu edition fails to go to the next page where partition selection should be done. It just hangs at that point.

Programs should not hang on valid conditions.

If they don't want to support that many partitions, it should at least gracefully say so, such as:

Disk /dev/sda has 58 partitions. That's insane. Please delete 43 partitions and try again.

wilee-nilee
May 9th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I want to see an installer ... specifically the partition editor ... that can handle an existing GUID partition table that has a large number of partitions because it is a multi-boot system. On mine with 58 partitions (set up to test logs of distros and editions), every Ubuntu edition fails to go to the next page where partition selection should be done. It just hangs at that point.

Programs should not hang on valid conditions.

If they don't want to support that many partitions, it should at least gracefully say so, such as:

Disk /dev/sda has 58 partitions. That's insane. Please delete 43 partitions and try again.

A extended partition in a standard mbr setup would support that and gparted would do the work just fine.

VinDSL
May 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
One thing that's always bothered me on Linux that I'd love to see fixed...

I'd like to be able to do gaming in Unity 3d (Compiz).[...]
Valve is working on a solution.

They're making their own Linux Client and Engine, e.g. no Wine library or other "fake" support..

Purdy pics ("Left 4 Dead 2" running natively on Ubu 11.10):

http://www.phoronix.com/image-viewer.php?id=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&image=valve_linux_l4d21_lrg

That seems to be the way to go... ;)

effenberg0x0
May 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Not that it will ever happen, much less on QQ but... I think the last barrier for Ubuntu adoption, specially on corporate, is an Office suite.

I know, I know, LibreOffice, gnome-office, Caligra, KOffice, etc. I'm cool with any of them and I run MS-Office in VMs anyway. But I'm talking about business, ordinary users that really need 100% guaranteed compatibility to Excel, PowerPoint, Word. I know a lot of medium/large companies that can't replace windows because of Office.

If Canonical took that as a priority project, like they did with Unity, create something with a decent, smart, compact code base, with the goal of creating full compatibility to MS... I think it would be a game changer.

Regards,
Effenberg

sudodus
May 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Not that it will ever happen, much less on QQ but... I think the last barrier for Ubuntu adoption, specially on corporate, is an Office suite.

I know, I know, LibreOffice, gnome-office, Caligra, KOffice, etc. I'm cool with any of them and I run MS-Office in VMs anyway. But I'm talking about business, ordinary users that really need 100% guaranteed compatibility to Excel, PowerPoint, Word. I know a lot of medium/large companies that can't replace windows because of Office.

If Canonical took that as a priority project, like they did with Unity, create something with a decent, smart, compact code base, with the goal of creating full compatibility to MS... I think it would be a game changer.

Regards,
Effenberg
+1
I think you are right. This is thing to do for the company market. And I think increased focus on hardware detection is the thing to do for the private market.

iMurshaq
May 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I doubt that Google Drive will be integrated because it competes directly with Ubuntu One right?

xebian
May 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Regards,
Effenberg

Yeah.. dream on.

Sun and now Oracle's Star Office with OpenOffice and now LibreOffice branches could not even do it with a lot (whole lot ) more resources/money than Canonical. Not to mention Google Docs and IBM's offering as well.
):P

aryehbeitz
May 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
1. Video Codecs available out of the box. some people install from a live-cd without an internet connection.
2. people have a hard time finding the file menu and close button. perhaps leave an option for it to always be there (pinguy os does this)
3. full compatibility with ms office
4. to help solve 1, perhaps offer language and video codec packs as a separate download, which could be installed later.
Thanks!

xebian
May 9th, 2012, 06:15 PM
1. Video Codecs available out of the box. some people install from a live-cd without an internet connection.
2. people have a hard time finding the file menu and close button. perhaps leave an option for it to always be there (pinguy os does this)
3. full compatibility with ms office
4. to help solve 1, perhaps offer language and video codec packs as a separate download, which could be installed later.
Thanks!

Where have you been? You can always 'separate download, which could be installed later.' do this ever since day 1.

Skaperen
May 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
A extended partition in a standard mbr setup would support that and gparted would do the work just fine.
1. Only up to 2TB. 4TB disks are available, and RAID can make substantially larger devices.
2. Only if the partitions fit in the order logical MBR partitions allow for.
3. Only if you are willing to waste an alignment gap between partitions.

The program has a bug, plain and simple. Whether it is a bug in not correctly supporting GPT or a bug in not handling a larger number of partitions, I cannot say. The programmer should be able to see that once investigating it. I assume the programmer is smart enough to figure it out and that this was just an oversight when originally coded, such as failing to check a hard coded value for an array size because the (probably wrong) definition is in the depths of some headers somewhere.

I'm not going to set up an MBR mess just to test this. It fails in the obvious straightforward way to make 58 partitions. That's enough reason to want it to be better the next time around. This is the 4th release this issue exists in that I have seen. It may well have existed since GPT support was added (as opposed to being some other form of regression).

Skaperen
May 9th, 2012, 06:57 PM
How about a Gubuntu edition? I think you know what would be in it, and what would not.

cariboo
May 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM
How about a Gubuntu edition? I think you know what would be in it, and what would not.

Isn't there one already? I think it's called Debian. :)

xebian
May 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Aha. the child is being disrespectful to the Mother.:P

mpmistr
May 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM
1. Anti-aliased window borders..
2. Fixes to Gnome Classic to get it closer to Gnome 2 functionality -- (for example changing the panel background is broken on indicators).
3. Built in Appearance options (GTK3 theme colors, windows, ect).. the fact you need a 'hack or tweak' is kind of sad. I know this is a Gnome 3 problem and not especially an Ubuntu thing but still.
4. Improve Compiz performance (it's still sluggish and acts oddly compared to the 0.8.X series)
5. Did I mention anti-aliased window borders??? (will this be back ported to 12.04?)
6. GIMP 2.8 by default.
7. New icon theme, the current icons are old and busted. (Installing Faenza is the first thing I do on a new install and I think a LOT of people do the same thing, why not use it?)

VinDSL
May 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM
How about a Gubuntu edition? [...]

Bwahahahaha! :D

Skaperen
May 10th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I get the joke. But really, I'm serious. I'd just like to see a plain Gnome variation of Ubuntu pre-packaged and ready to just install or run Live from the CD or DVD or USB. That would be in addition to existing Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Ubuntu (the one with the Unity setup).

FYI, Debian tends to drag behind a lot (for some good purposes). And I do have Debian CDs lying around. But so much stuff is still old when I use it (older than Ubuntu 10.10 that I still have on my main desktop).

jerome1232
May 10th, 2012, 07:43 AM
FYI, Debian tends to drag behind a lot (for some good purposes). And I do have Debian CDs lying around. But so much stuff is still old when I use it (older than Ubuntu 10.10 that I still have on my main desktop).

Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable. Whatever Debian unstable has at the time of a release freeze for Ubuntu, is what that release of Ubuntu has for it's life cycle.

MG&TL
May 10th, 2012, 07:53 AM
New visuals. And according to OMG!Ubuntu, that's what we're getting, so I'm happy. Maybe we can get all of it!

Also get my first bugfix into this release, so I'm even more happy.

juhevil
May 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Unity desktop, as setup by the 12.04 installing program is somewhat confusing or at least lacks consistence:

Without any additional adjustments, LibreOffice programs have their menus on their own program window tops.However, all other programs produce their private menus on the top of the workspace window.

Correspondingly the desktop menu changes every time as a response to the activated program.
This is not a big issue for users, who always run their programs in size maximized windows, but is confusing and requires extra mouse movements, if several not maximized programs are visible simultaneously in the active work space.

Please make the program menu behavior equal for all programs.

juhevil

fballem
May 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Juhevil:

A couple of observations, if I may:

Most programs are written to have a menu. Up until fairly recently, the idea of a Global Menu (where there is one location for the menu on the top panel of the screen and it changes depending on what application has focus) hasn't been used.
To be consistent, if you want LibreOffice to use the global menu, then install the program lo-menubar from the repositories. Some people have reported problems, but it does work well for others, including me.
If you don't like the Global Menu then you can disable it by uninstalling the indicator-appmenu application.

Hope this helps,

juhevil
May 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks, fballem for prompt comment and advice,

I just removed the global menu as you advised. Now the menus in Unity behave in similar way for all applications.

I did not like your other suggestion of disabling the local menus from LibreOffice aps. I have this installation on a media PC with a 46inch screen, where it is possible to use several apps on the screen at the same time. The idea of a global menu causes too much extra work in mouse movements.
Perhaps the global menu is good for smaller, low resolution screens.

To conclude, my suggestion has been solved already in the earlier versions, simply by removing the indicator appmenu application.

-I still question if in the standard Ubuntu installation all programs should show similar behaviour; either have global or local menus?
Atleast in my head a mixture is always a awful, but for children who at birthday parties may order mixture of sprite and cola, because they are unable to decide between the two.

juhevil

fballem
May 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Juhevil:

You're most welcome, and I am glad that it solved your problem. Given the size of the screen that you are working on, I absolutely understand your reticence in using Global Menus.

I must admit, I am not a fan of Global Menus. I am using them in my installation of Ubuntu 12.04, but at some point, I may disable them. One of the reasons is that I have a friend who is handicapped - the Global Menus would be a problem and I will need to make sure that the local menus work correctly before I upgrade his computer to 12.04.

If I understand it correctly, each application may have a different way of handling menus. Depending on how the code is written, an application may use the operating system to manage its menus, or may provide 'lower level' facilities to manage its menus. If the application uses the operating system, then if the operating system implements Global Menus, then so will the application. There is more work involved if an application uses 'lower level' facilities. This is a gross simplification, of course.

Regards,

tekstr1der
May 10th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable. Whatever Debian unstable has at the time of a release freeze for Ubuntu, is what that release of Ubuntu has for it's life cycle.

Only true for non-LTS releases. For an LTS (e.g. 12.04), Ubuntu syncs with Debian testing, rather then unstable. This starts off the LTS dev cycle with the added stability of prior upstream bugfixes.

See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

cariboo
May 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM
New visuals. And according to OMG!Ubuntu, that's what we're getting, so I'm happy. Maybe we can get all of it!

Also get my first bugfix into this release, so I'm even more happy.

Congrats MG&TL

Skaperen
May 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Juhevil:

A couple of observations, if I may:

Most programs are written to have a menu. Up until fairly recently, the idea of a Global Menu (where there is one location for the menu on the top panel of the screen and it changes depending on what application has focus) hasn't been used.
To be consistent, if you want LibreOffice to use the global menu, then install the program lo-menubar from the repositories. Some people have reported problems, but it does work well for others, including me.
If you don't like the Global Menu then you can disable it by uninstalling the indicator-appmenu application.

Hope this helps,
I would not want to see this prevent users from creating and adding as many OTHER menus they want, anywhere they want them to be. But these desktop environments still don't do that. I have to use workarounds like the "myGtkMenu" program.

Skaperen
May 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
i would really like the choice of desktop when installing ubuntu :-)

unity or gnome-shell etc!!
Why not also include KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, among these choices in a larger ISO that fits only on a DVD or larger USB? Then we would only need separate single editions for the "I only have CD" crowd.

xebian
May 10th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Why not also include KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, among these choices in a larger ISO that fits only on a DVD or larger USB? Then we would only need separate single editions for the "I only have CD" crowd.

That option to choose which desktop is right there on the download page.

cariboo
May 11th, 2012, 12:10 AM
You can do that already, if you choose Try Ubuntu from the menu, then instead of rebooting when the install id finished, use the Software Centre to install additional DE's.

sudodus
May 11th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Focus on improved hardware detection

This will make it easier particularly for new *ubuntu users.

It is important to keep detection of older hardware, that is detected by previous versions. I think we have a chance to get many new users at the end of life of XP (2014). But it will be important that it is easy enough to get *ubuntu running on typical XP hardware.

It is important to detect new hardware. I know it is difficult, but it is very important. If new hardware won't work out of the box, *ubuntu is no alternative for most people with new computers.
This idea was marked as already implemented at Ubuntu Brainstorm
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29704/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29704/)

and I understand that most of us think that it is important. But I think it is more important and suggest more focus on improved hardware detection:

More testing and feedback

I can help testing, and I think many other people also can help testing. Actually I have been beta-testing Lubuntu 12.04 i386. And I think that you (the Forum Community) and Canonical should promote or encourage more testing, as well as more actively respond to the feedback from the testers.

I am convinced that nobody has discussed chucking out detection of older hardware, yet I have seen it happen with every new version (my own experience as well as indicated by several threads in the Ubuntu Forums).

The reason why I push this question is that I really think it is more important than including new bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have an attractive interface and new applications, but if people have problems installing or upgrading the operating system, it will never be used by them.

So what I want is more focus on this issue. I think it is highest priority to make it is straight-forward to install Ubuntu. It is obvious from the Ubuntu Forums, that many old users have problems with the new versions, and we can only guess how many people fail, when trying for the first time to test or install Ubuntu. An unknown percentage of these people ask for help at AskUbuntu or the Ubuntu Forums.

cariboo
May 18th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Moved to the Cafe.

LarsKongo
May 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Improved window decorators. Mutter have had anti-aliased rounded corners since 3.2. It's time for Ubuntu to catch up. Replace compiz with mutter or write a new window decorator based on emerald or something. :D

wolfen69
May 18th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Not worried. I take one day at a time.

evilsoup
May 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM
1. Add youtube search to the Video lens, and intergrate with VLC or Totem so that there is the option of watching streaming videos outside of the browser.

2. Add a lenses/scopes section to the Software Centre. Also make the Dash more customisable.

3. Make the Unity workspace switcher behave a bit more like the Unity-2D workplace switcher. The Unity-2D one works like Apple's exposé... but with multiple desktops.

4. The Music lens should search by filesystem path, as well as by metadata/Rhythmbox tags. Playlists should also be included in searches. Similarly, the Video lens should have metadata searches built into it.

5. I've had Ubuntu freeze on me and requiring a reboot three times in the week I've used 12.04, which is a problem I've never had before on any version of Ubuntu (from 8.04 onwards) on any computer I've used. Uh... fix that.

ikt
May 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
a) An ati graphics card drive that actually works
b) flickerfree bootup
c) Even smoother unity experience
d) No glitches at all, not one glitch, program crash, freeze, kernel crash etc
e) all of the above.

aschwerin.moses
May 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I would like to see the follow improvements in Ubuntu.

- Polished UI. The look and feel of what you get from windows 7 or mac is richer compared to that of Ubuntu. Do not have to copy anything from mac or windows 7 but make the UI much richer.

- Touchpad gestures, something like in a macbook (i dont care if its a copy but I like this feature)

- Icons. Just like the UI, even the icons feel less richer compared to mac or windows.

- Default movie player. I know there is always an option to install other video players but the default Totem has such a boring UI. It feels like a player which would be used in a sci-fi movie made in 1947.

- Flexible unity launcher. Should be able to change the settings of the launcher easily, such as width, height, position.

The above are few basic changes which I have been looking for a long time now. Ubuntu has improved a lotttttttt when it comes to performance and features. But wish to see the above changes too in the next release.

Lisimelis
May 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Intergrated Ubuntu Forums App...... a life saver!!!!!

ubiquitin.jf
May 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I'd like new emails in Thunderbird to light up the messaging indicator blue and integrate with the calendar in the clock applet like Evolution does.

I'd also like to see an overhaul of or even the death of notify-osd. Gnome-shell's notifications are superior in every single way.

aschwerin.moses
May 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM
+ to this feature :)

Brandel Valico
May 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Give me the option to move the launcher to whatever edge I want it to be on.

Other then that just keep doing what Ubuntu does best. Offer a great OS.

lepetit
May 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM
we have a chance to see work on the graphics driver openchrome from ubuntu?

Bandit
May 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM

+ to this feature :)

Id like that as well.

Also by default I would like to see Faenza Ambiance icon theme by default. Perhaps a little tweaking to make the folder fit better, but they are one of the best all around icon sets out there.

Linuxratty
May 18th, 2012, 06:42 PM
[LIST=1]
I have a handicapped user who would have a serious challenge with Global menus. He is currently using 10.04, which is working well, but I would like to upgrade him. Ideally this should be a configuration option in the System Settings menu.

Agreed..
And point and click options for everything for people who prefer using a mouse.

donkyhotay
May 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
1) Easy configurable Dash with much more options for tweaking

This is my single biggest gripe over the newer versions of ubuntu and is a big reason I switched to lubuntu.

vedovatti
May 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Switchable graphics supported
ATI HDMI audio output working
Fingerprint login in encrypted home possible
Fingerprint driver for Validity Devices (HP)

phibxr
May 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
A blink-free boot and shutdown-manager, entering a sandboxed hi-def graphics mode as soon as the Bios screen has gone away and never switching from that viewport until the computer shuts down.

If OS X can do it, so can Ubuntu.

VinDSL
May 22nd, 2012, 02:25 AM
GIMP 2.8 in main repos

I'd lay down in the hallway, and have sex with Mr. Shuttleworth, if they'd do that... LoL! :D
Just did an update, and noticed GIMP was upgraded to 2.8.0

Am I seeing things? Can this be true?

I was crushed when GIMP 2.7.5 disappeared, after I downloaded the 12.10 toolchain!

I'm gonna go splash some water on my face, and pinch myself. LoL! :D

Linuxratty
May 22nd, 2012, 04:56 AM
Zoom feature.

Wayland with the reference Weston compositor now have patches available for providing a zoomed-in area to follow the text cursor around the screen. There's also support for animated zoom transitions.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwNDQ

Rodney9
May 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
I'd like new emails in Thunderbird to light up the messaging indicator blue and integrate with the calendar in the clock applet like Evolution does.

+1

Rodney

YannBuntu
May 25th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I'd like Boot-Repair and OS-Uninstaller utilities to be included in the CD, this would help managing multiboots, and/or repairing GRUB.

effenberg0x0
May 25th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I'd like Boot-Repair and OS-Uninstaller utilities to be included in the CD, this would help managing multiboots, and/or repairing GRUB.

Hey,

You know what, this is actually a very nice idea. We keep bugging people and creating bug reports on Ubiquity continuously every cycle. Why not have uninstall/repair tools or functions embedded into the installer - at least somehow easily available in a broken/offline install.

"Fix a broken boot (Grub)", "Repair a broken install" (Fix Grub+Reinstall Essential Packages), "Safely remove Ubuntu" (Fixing MBR and preserving primary OS like Windows, etc)" should be easily available in GUI/Console mode.

I'm not sure which Blueprint we should add it too, or if there's a current one for ubiquity-q. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal

It would be helpful if anyone that is more familiar with what was discussed about Ubiquity on UDS-Q could give us a clue which Blueprint is active / Who we should talk to.

Regards,
Effenberg

quequotion
June 17th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Yes.

A thousand times yes.

I have had serious boot issues after installing or upgrading Ubuntu with every version since Intrepid.

Let me tell you all about them:

Precise: UEFI setup was broken in grub, known and fixed upstream, but not backported to Ubuntu's version. Luckily, this got fixed just a few days before the final release.

Oneric: Failed to boot from RAID due to failure in initramfs-tools (there is a script known not to work since.... ever.) and/or udev (which should kick in before the bad script runs). As far as I know this bug has never been addressed although it is confirmed.

Natty: Freeze after login and grub occasionally eating itself. This was the disastrous beginning of the Unity fiasco. I never did figure out why grub randomly disappeared from the bootsector.

Maverick: Plymouth bootsplash a total mess and broken. An asthetics-only problem for a change. Somewhat improved, but never fixed and still happening in Precise.

Lucid: Failed to boot from RAID for the same reason Oneric would a year later. Broken plymouth, kernel incompatible with nvidia, etc. I didn't use Lucid for very long.

Karmic: Failed to boot from RAID (outdated dmraid) and dropped to unusable busybox. This was fun. Never figured out why busybox wouldn't accept any keyboard input. Used the same raid-boot workaround as in Oneric and Lucid.

Jaunty: Failed to boot from RAID (outdated dmraid) and dropped to unusable busybox. Just as much fun as Karmic, with all the same bugs. This was also the first distribution to have built-in support for install-to-RAID, which did not work (grub-install invariably failed). Install to RAID has never fully worked since it was introduced and still fails in Precise.

Intrepid: Failed to boot from RAID (forgivable as this was only possible through unsupported installation methods anyway) and dropped to unusable busybox. No one else seemed to have this problem, but it stuck with me through three distributions with several different keyboards on the same PC.... and then it just went away.

Most of these issues had relatively trivial workarounds, but with no help, no documentation, and a computer that didn't function I felt very powerless and somewhat betrayed when my computer stopped working because of Ubuntu.

Specifically, the livecd needs:

1. A means of confirming that grub has been installed properly before the first reboot. Cover all the bases; get it done right.

2. A means of listing potential bugs a user may encounter, tailored to their hardware and software profile.

Provided the livecd has internet access::
-After install, the installer queries launchpad with a hardware and software profile for the installation (perhaps it should ask permission).
-If any serious issues are found (particuarly first-boot or login related), it asks "There may be issues affecting your system, would you like to review them? (YES) (NO)"
-(Yes) brings up the web browser with tabs for whatever bugs can be found in launchpad as referenced by the distribution version, specific package names, and hardware identifiers.

It is likely people will be looking at bug reports they don't understand, that won't actually affect them, or that have relatively low importance.
This may not be the best PR, but it is much better than the outrage and disappointment one feels when their freshly-installed operating system has "bricked" their computer.
It is also much better than the comments they will leave in these forums, in their blogs, and the ears of anyone they share their experience with.

3. A method of automatically probing for grub installations that assumes the user has absolutely no idea. ie: grub-where is a script that uses grub-probe to find out where or if grub is installed, including the possibilities of RAID, UEFI, or other non-standard installation; then checks grub's configuration to make sure it actually works.

4. A way to backup the current boot sector and bootloader(s) to an external media, to be used in case grub forgets something important like where a person's other OS used to be. Or even better, a secondary boot loader configured to load the previous OS from an external media (ie, the user would not have to restore their bootsector and lose current grub, but use the external media as an emergency method to boot their previous OS).

sudodus
June 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Specifically, the livecd needs:

1. A means of confirming that grub has been installed properly before the first reboot. Cover all the bases; get it done right.

2. A means of listing potential bugs a user may encounter, tailored to their hardware and software profile.

Provided the livecd has internet access::
-After install, the installer queries launchpad with a hardware and software profile for the installation (perhaps it should ask permission).
-If any serious issues are found (particuarly first-boot or login related), it asks "There may be issues affecting your system, would you like to review them? (YES) (NO)"
-(Yes) brings up the web browser with tabs for whatever bugs can be found in launchpad as referenced by the distribution version, specific package names, and hardware identifiers.

It is likely people will be looking at bug reports they don't understand, that won't actually affect them, or that have relatively low importance.
This may not be the best PR, but it is much better than the outrage and disappointment one feels when their freshly-installed operating system has "bricked" their computer.
It is also much better than the comments they will leave in these forums, in their blogs, and the ears of anyone they share their experience with.

3. A method of automatically probing for grub installations that assumes the user has absolutely no idea. ie: grub-where is a script that uses grub-probe to find out where or if grub is installed, including the possibilities of RAID, UEFI, or other non-standard installation; then checks grub's configuration to make sure it actually works.

4. A way to backup the current boot sector and bootloader(s) to an external media, to be used in case grub forgets something important like where a person's other OS used to be. Or even better, a secondary boot loader configured to load the previous OS from an external media (ie, the user would not have to restore their bootsector and lose current grub, but use the external media as an emergency method to boot their previous OS).
+1
Very valuable suggestions! I think it is easy to install typical application software compared to get the basic system working with some hardware, so it is a very good idea to use more drive space on the installation media (or iso file) for Boot-Repair and OS-Uninstaller utilities and skip some application.

YannBuntu
June 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Hello
You can push it a little by marking yourself as "affected" by this bug: Boot-Repair pre-installed in ISOs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+bug/806291)

Or better: find a Debian mentor who can upload Boot-Repair into Debian repositories :)

sudodus
June 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hello
You can push it a little by marking yourself as "affected" by this bug: Boot-Repair pre-installed in ISOs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+bug/806291)

Done

quequotion
June 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hello

Or better: find a Debian mentor who can upload Boot-Repair into Debian repositories :)

Affected +1

mihalybaci
June 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Add me to the list of people who would like a more customizable Dash Menu, maybe even a simple 'Customize Dash' program to change icons, widths, positions, programs, etc.

zipher
June 19th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I had been running quetzal beta without issue for a few weeks.
Late Monday morning after downloading some stuff from UKC mirrors, and messing with an html document of a linux user mag CD , my distro has gone haywire.... seems to be at BIOS level ( tried switching hard drives and running live, still massively unstable)

Any ideas fellas?
Hardware problem likely?

All suggestions appreciated thanks

Bandit
June 19th, 2012, 11:44 PM
What do you want to see added or improved for Quantal Quetzal?

Is removing Microsoft an option?

DonThompson
June 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I would like to see for this and the future:

1) Consistency - please stop moving the files around that control things. As a professional providing IT services and support to my clients I do not need to spend two months trying to guess where the next set of developers decided to move things, nor do I want to find out what the new program/script name is nor where it is hiding.

2) Documentation - WITH dates and releases to which it is applicable, oh, yeah, and up-to-date. Do NOT deliver it unless there is documentation for it. And it better be right.

3) How To's that are simple, complete and don't wander off into philosophy.

Of course if you want the product to stay a niche product, loved by a small group of aficionados, and hidden away from the MS/Apple debate, then stay the current course.

But watch out, a huge number of us are retiring and will have time on our hands. At some point a group of us who comprehend assembler and what's actually down in there under the "objects", behind the theories with an understanding of what the bits do and where the electrons flow will sit down build an OS that focuses on getting things done.

FishboyFive
June 20th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Quantal Quetzal needs a Working AMD / Nvidia Driver for 3D support so users can play games

do not release the OS without at least one driver version working

quequotion
June 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I had been running quetzal beta without issue for a few weeks.
Late Monday morning after downloading some stuff from UKC mirrors, and messing with an html document of a linux user mag CD , my distro has gone haywire.... seems to be at BIOS level ( tried switching hard drives and running live, still massively unstable)

For definitions of "beta", search synonym: "minefield"
It's unlikely that Ubuntu has affected your BIOS.
Probably, the beta distribution is simply in an unstable state.

Try to gather more information, narrow down the problem, and make a bug report.

+relevant to this thread:

Users like zipher, and I, could benefit from a better implementation of apport/whoopsie (what is whoopsie?).

1. Apport should never refuse to make reports for any package.
I can understand a warning if apport makes a report for a package that is not maintained by canonical.
I do not understand why apport refuses to make reports when completely unrelated packages have not been upgraded or because a package isn't in a prescribed list.
2. We need an easy means of creating bug reports for problems apport missed.
Apport can be used from the command line to gather information and make reports for issues that were not caught by the daemon itself.
Unfortunately, this is far from user friendly and unnecessarily complex.
Ubuntu, especially testing versions of ubuntu, need a utility that can be accessed from the menu by an icon like: [Report Problem] which opens a dialog that allows users to specify the parameters of an issue without being too technical.

ie:

[Report Problem]

*minimally necessary information, such as distribution and kernel version should be automatically collected.

*basic questions
What program was affected: *to the best of the user's knowledge
What other programs were affected: *as the user remembers
What did you expect: *expected behavior
What happened (or didn't happen): *problematic behavior
Approximately what time: *used to extract log information

*launchpad
Launchpad username & password: [_____] [_____]
Create new account? ()

Gonzalo_VC
August 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Unity is heavier than other DEs. That's sad.
I had to change Ubuntu for Lubuntu in my netbook. 2 GB of RAM are more than nice for Linux, but the processor gets to much work with Unity (and is harder to customize, also).

In Lubuntu, the bar or panel needs some attention for the next round. We cannot use it vertically as in Xubuntu, to save screen in smaller devices. The buttons keep horizontal and the bar it's more than an inch wide!!??

Also, the update manager keeps jumping in front of any other update method the user might be using (terminal apt-get typing or Synaptic). That's not goog, since it blocks the processes!

vexorian
August 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I like them to take unity out of compiz so that you could run one without the other. I'd much prefer metacity or mutter to do compositing for me. Compiz is a little heavy for my taste. After splitting unity from compiz, they could make it possible to run unity (without transparency) in case compositing is not enabled (like Unity 2D, but it would be the same program).

There should be a gui for adding apps and quicklists. I mean, really.

Allow unity to be moved to the right, bottom or even top. Allow the menu bar to be used with-out the launcher and vice versa. There's too much dependency between components.

Add theme support for the launcher. Transparency is not always the best thing ever for everyone. It is not difficult even, just an option to pick from which folder to get png files from...

Text in icons in the dash should have borders or shadows so that they are more readable. Refer to nautilus' desktop icon text.

BigSilly
August 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Compiz isn't so heavy these days at all imho. Plus, as it's pretty much solely an Ubuntu development, it's only going to get better. Maybe a couple of years ago it was more buggy and demanding, but these days I feel it has more focus. I never really had an issue with it really beyond there not being enough decent user-facing options. CCSM is brilliant, but it's too geeky. It would be great to see something much like KDE's system settings, which has a bunch load of easy to understand options for the user to tinker with and not break things.

vexorian
August 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
The global menu bar does not always work. I sometimes need to insist by clicking on the active app and the menu bar before the menus appear. It can be a serious turn off.

Desktop switching in unity is not smooth. I sometimes clikc a workspace and all the windows in it blink. It looks ugly and unpolished.

Oh, and Why can't we do right click to open quicklists on application entries in the dash?

Compiz isn't so heavy these days at all imho. Plus, as it's pretty much solely an Ubuntu development, it's only going to get better. Maybe a couple of years ago it was more buggy and demanding, but these days I feel it has more focus. I never really had an issue with it really beyond there not being enough decent user-facing options. CCSM is brilliant, but it's too geeky. It would be great to see something much like KDE's system settings, which has a bunch load of easy to understand options for the user to tinker with and not break things.
Either way, being able to have a better choice will only make things better for all of us, including those who prefer compiz.

I also think that if compiz was replaceable it would help adoption of unity outside of ubuntu (which is very important if we want it to thrive, not enough developers can come from canonical).