PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unattended boot fails, OK if I go through Repair screen

Vic20
May 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have had this problem since upgrading to 11.10 from 11.04 and it has followed through to 12.04 (I was hoping it would go away!)

If I leave the pc to do an unattended boot up (non repair mode) it will fail before the graphical logon window comes up with a screenful of text and a logon prompt.

If I select the repair option, and then straight to 'Resume normal boot' by hitting enter twice from the repair screen, the pc boot continues normally to the graphical logon screen.

You may have guessed I am somewhat a newbie to the inner workings of Ubuntu. So how can I get back to once again having an unattended bootup??

Thanks

Vic

Vic20
May 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Finally gave up on this and decided to do a fresh install beleiving it was something to do with the ATI catalyst drivers. (I was also having the equivalent to a BSOD most times when shutting down.)

Firstly I followed instructions to create a separate home partition to keep all my data safe.

Reinstallation was far more straightforward then than expected and everything is running well with bootup and shutdown times much faster. Allocating the separate home partition on installation means everything comes up exactly as it was.

):P