PDA

View Full Version : My latest convert

forrestcupp
May 7th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'm not one to care about trying to convert people, but I just won my 8 year old boy over to Ubuntu. :)

He has a laptop that's a few years old, and it was running very sluggish. I decided to install Ubuntu in a dual boot because I knew it would work better. He said to me, "Everyone in the world should use Linux, but they just don't know about it." He tried to talk me into installing it on his mammaw's computer. I told him that she doesn't care about operating systems and Linux is not for everyone.

It's funny how excited he is about it.

stalkingwolf
May 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I just installed zorin on a Dell M6300 for a family member. He is a retired Math
teacher has several math orientated programs he wrote in gwbasic. He has an old (6gb) drive that has win98 (the orig) on it with a program that runs gw and a couple others like a boot loader.first thing i did was to clone that drive to the hdd. then reinstall his vista then zorin.

what a pain. vista wont recognize the 98 partition, nothing changed that.
Have gwbasic running in dosbox on zorin. dosbox wouldnt run on vista.

So we had the talk was it up to me i nuke vista and use what works. Its your computer make it do what you want. After some discussion and letting him play on my bench computer we nuked vista.it works fine except the broadcom wireless.

Of course his windows fanboi brother and another friend have been telling him how hard and technical linux is , how there is very little software, it is hard to install etc etc etc.

Being me i made a Qimo and Edubuntu disk im sending home with him to run for them. I figure if 4-9 yr olds can use it they should be able to after a day or two.

mamamia88
May 7th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I just installed zorin on a Dell M6300 for a family member. He is a retired Math
teacher has several math orientated programs he wrote in gwbasic. He has an old (6gb) drive that has win98 (the orig) on it with a program that runs gw and a couple others like a boot loader.first thing i did was to clone that drive to the hdd. then reinstall his vista then zorin.

what a pain. vista wont recognize the 98 partition, nothing changed that.
Have gwbasic running in dosbox on zorin. dosbox wouldnt run on vista.

So we had the talk was it up to me i nuke vista and use what works. Its your computer make it do what you want. After some discussion and letting him play on my bench computer we nuked vista.it works fine except the broadcom wireless.

Of course his windows fanboi brother and another friend have been telling him how hard and technical linux is , how there is very little software, it is hard to install etc etc etc.

Being me i made a Qimo and Edubuntu disk im sending home with him to run for them. I figure if 4-9 yr olds can use it they should be able to after a day or two.
My old laptop had broadcom wireless and it was super easy to get working.

Dry Lips
May 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
@forrestcupp:
Your son is a very wise boy! I'm sure he'll grow up to become a talented hacker!

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 8th, 2012, 12:22 AM
@forrestcupp,

When I had 3 grandchildren living with me, ages 6, 8, and 10, I built 3 computers out of spare parts and 4 old broken computers. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the 3 computers I got working.

My grandchildren didn't care what OS was running on them. They had already used their mothers Windows XP laptop and the school's Mac OS-X computers. After they found the menus, Firefox, some games, etc., it was business as usual. I didn't have to show them how to do anything.

I can't say I converted them as thy could care less what OS was on them. The computers did what they wanted to do, and that is all they cared about.

:lolflag:

At lest my grandchildren know that Linux exists. :)