PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 and Pentium M CPU error

irv
May 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I downloaded the 32bit 12.04 and burned a CD but when I boot on my older laptop with a Pentium M CPU I get the error "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: pae Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

Have I got the wrong iso? or maybe 12.04 won't work on this laptop.

jadtech
May 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
yup you need to down load one of the other ISOs you need 32bit with pae which as I understands it is fakes 64bit allows your computer to access and address more then 3 gb of ram ..

irv
May 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
yup you need to down load one of the other ISOs you need 32bit with pae which as I understands it is fakes 64bit allows your computer to access and address more then 3 gb of ram ..

Thanks I will see if I can find it.

lykwydchykyn
May 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Actually, the problem is that you need a kernel WITHOUT pae. Your cpu doesn't support pae, and as of 12.04 the default kernel requires cpu support for it.

See this page for help: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html

jadtech
May 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM
oh the reverse I didn't catch that ..
actually thought you have to go out of your way to the list of sites to get ISO 32 bit with pae the same with the alternate iso ...

jadtech
May 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
in that case try the non-pae mini cd. it a txt based install boots like any other CD

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/non-pae/

lukeiamyourfather
May 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Another distribution might serve you better given the older hardware (Lubuntu or Xubuntu). This is from the Precise release page.

The Ubuntu 12.04 installation image does not include support for old computers that do not support PAE. If your computer is affected, you can either first install Ubuntu 10.04 or 11.10 and upgrade to 12.04 or you can use the Lubuntu or Xubuntu images. The non-PAE version of the Linux kernel will be dropped completely following the 12.04 release.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#System_requirements

jadtech
May 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
not a lot of info for this lap top given but my search shows that the Pentium M CPU support 512 mb of ram 1.4ghz processor so this would work with 12.4 fine thing is the docs clearly say the best way to do this now is upgrade from an older version ..

the mini non pae cd should still do it as long as they aren't put off by the txt based install ..

also if they can find a ISO for 12.4 beta 2 this would work as well the pae support was not dropped till the release version ..

also wubi installer would do the trick as well since its still 11.10 then you can migrate that and upgrade ..

mips
May 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM
not a lot of info for this lap top given but my search shows that the Pentium M CPU support 512 mb of ram 1.4ghz processor so this would work with 12.4 fine thing is the docs clearly say the best way to do this now is upgrade from an older version ..

The Pentium M and derived Celerons do not support PAE (I have one).

The OP would have to use the mini-iso to install Ubuntu with a non PAE kernel or he can use use any of the Lubuntu or Xubuntu derivitives that still have support for non-PAE CPUs.

Have I got the wrong iso? or maybe 12.04 won't work on this laptop.

If you want Ubuntu 12.04 you will have to install from the mini-iso cd image which has kernel support for non-PAE CPU's

Your other options are to use the Xubuntu or Lubuntu images that have non-PAE support and then afterwards install ubuntu from there. You're laptop is pretty old so I'm not sure how well it will handle Ubuntu, (what are the specs, CPU & RAM?) as I know my laptop will be pretty sluggish.

I would suggest you download the Xubuntu cd image and install that and see how you like it, if you still want you can then install Ubuntu from there easily, all you have to do from a terminal is:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and afterwards edit one file:

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

so the file has this specified,

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=ubuntu

irv
May 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the help on this one. For now I am going to stay with 10.10. I am just using this old laptop on a sound system with audacity. The problem I was having was audacity would lockup once in awhile so I just reinstall it. I hope this will fix the problem, but I have a feeling it is a hardware issue. The screen blinks when it locks up. It goes black and then comes back on and at that point audacity is locked. Actually it is the recording that is locked, I can export the recording to a mp3 file and restart audacity and start recording again and everything seems to work again. Time will tell if reloading audacity fixed the problem.
Again thanks for the help.

brianw0667
May 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
HP Pavilion Dv7-2019ca dual core T4200 and it is too old? Tried running in virtual-box to see what it was like and that was the error I received. I thought we were trying to get more users not less?

jadtech
May 13th, 2012, 01:02 AM
HP Pavilion Dv7-2019ca dual core T4200 and it is too old? Tried running in virtual-box to see what it was like and that was the error I received. I thought we were trying to get more users not less?

for now there are still several ways for older machines to try 12.4 as I understand it any of the other ubantu distros and then there is installing 11.10 and upgrading ..

threre does come a point though whrn you have to ask if a class is totally out moded and give up support ...

MonkeyPaw
May 13th, 2012, 02:32 AM

You can always use an older version, but honestly, only Windows carries on the 32bit support (Apple has all but abandoned 32bit). Eventually, you have to make your software support common hardware, and Pentium Ms and original Core CPUs are not very common anymore. Anything sold in the last several years supports 64bit. It's where we need to go to support more RAM and give applications more address space.

As for 12.04 on a Pentium M? I've tried it, and its slow. It's slow even running XP SP3 and any modern program. My i3 is probably 8x faster than a 1.6ghz Pentium M.

spcwingo
May 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Virtualbox uses virtual hardware, not your actual hardware. That is why you are getting that error. You can try to enable PAE in the virtual machine settings like the screenie below.

jpmcc
May 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I had the same problem on my Eee-PC 701 using the regular install image. However, I have now installed ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386-nonpae.iso successfully from this page (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/930447/comments/84).

The only problem I had with the install was that it crashed if I selected an encrypted home drive. Unenecrypted worked fine.

John

irv
May 20th, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm Back again. Seeing I was the one who started this I just downloaded Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and this is what I want to run on this older laptop on a sound system, but I am back to the same problem. The PAE. The question I have is there a way to install Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on a non PAE supported CPU? I thought maybe doing an 11.XX and then upgrading to 12.04, but I would really like to do a clear 12.04 install. Any thought on this?

spcwingo
May 21st, 2012, 01:47 AM
I'm Back again. Seeing I was the one who started this I just downloaded Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and this is what I want to run on this older laptop on a sound system, but I am back to the same problem. The PAE. The question I have is there a way to install Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on a non PAE supported CPU? I thought maybe doing an 11.XX and then upgrading to 12.04, but I would really like to do a clear 12.04 install. Any thought on this?

You could use the mini.iso (non-pae, of course) to install the base system then run one command to get the full Ubuntu Studio desktop.

mini.iso (http://www.us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/non-pae/mini.iso)

After using the mini.iso to install the base just login and issue this command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop

After that, you should be all set. :)

kansasnoob
May 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM

I ran into the same exact issue (only I have an old VIA CPU) and found that Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS is a bit of a special case because it not only uses the PAE kernel, it uses the lowlatency PAE kernel. I first tried using the non-pae mini.iso as described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11847760&postcount=103) but I ended up with a bloody mess :(

In hindsight I think if I'd first performed a CLI install using the mini.iso, or either an Xubuntu or Lubuntu alternate image, I could have then just typed the command:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-lowlatency linux-lowlatency ubuntustudio-desktop

But I have NOT tried that! It may or may NOT work!

Instead I started reading the release notes (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/12.04release_notes) and after seeing that Ubuntu Studio 12.04 uses XFCE as the default desktop environment I installed Xubuntu, then installed 'linux-headers-lowlatency', 'linux-lowlatency', and 'ubuntustudio-desktop'. But I'm still having some issues, particularly with lightdm ](*,)

I've not given up yet though so stay tuned ;)

I wished when I'd installed Xubuntu that I had NOT chosen auto-login :cry:

irv
May 21st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Ok what I ended up doing was installing Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I am now doing the upgrade to 12.04. Will add a edit to this go bad but so far it is looking good. I think this is the OS I will stay with on the sound system. When it is all said and done it will be hooked into the PA system and I will be doing all the recording from this old laptop. I did it this way before but with Ubuntu 10.10 and Audacity. Of course I will still be using Audacity.

kansasnoob
May 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Ok what I ended up doing was installing Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I am now doing the upgrade to 12.04. Will add a edit to this go bad but so far it is looking good. I think this is the OS I will stay with on the sound system. When it is all said and done it will be hooked into the PA system and I will be doing all the recording from this old laptop. I did it this way before but with Ubuntu 10.10 and Audacity. Of course I will still be using Audacity.

Please let me know which kernel you end up using. Obviously non-pae, but I'm wondering about standard non-pae vs lowlatency vs realtime. I did find a Precise version of the realtime kernel here:

https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/realtime

But the i386 version is PAE :(

I did get an Xubuntu converted to Ubuntu Studio but I'm not too crazy about the XFCE interface. Yes, I know I'm whiney ;)

So I'm kind of thinking about installing Ubuntu using this unofficial iso:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/930447/comments/84

Then converting it to a classic (no effects) look:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

And then adding the ubuntustudio audio, recording, and generation pkgs. But I've never done this before and the official documentation is not yet updated for 12.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation

It's almost enough to make my brain hurt :lolflag:

irv
May 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
OK, got everything going and I even have it all hooked up on the sound system. Everything seems to be running great, but the test of time should tell the whole story.
Here's what I did and here's what I got.
First I installed Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on two laptops. My old one and my newer one. The kernel is the same on both, 3.2.0-24, and 3.2.0-24-generic-pae.
All I had to do was install the 12.04 on the newer laptop because it has newer CPU that supports PAE.
The older laptop: I installed 11.10 and did the upgrade to 12.04 (no problems but I had to stop some running services but the upgrade did this automaticly.
One last thing, I have Xfce on both installes, and I am going to leave it this way, because I am booting with three OS' on the newer laptop. Like I said the older one is just being used on the sound system so it has just the one OS on it.
218422 218423
They both look the same except for the program placement in the menu.

irv
May 21st, 2012, 09:09 PM
For the record it took me about an hour to install the 12.04, and to do the 11.10, update and upgrade it took about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. That included backup and restoring files.

kansasnoob
May 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Looks good, thanks for the kernel info.

the.scarecrow
May 28th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have hit this same snag on my trusty old Dell D600. It works fine on 11.10 when booted from a USB stick, so I favour installing 11.10 then doing an upgrade to 12.04.

My question is, will future Kernel updates on 12.04 be compatible or will the future updates be approriate for my aging CPU?

irv
May 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I have hit this same snag on my trusty old Dell D600. It works fine on 11.10 when booted from a USB stick, so I favour installing 11.10 then doing an upgrade to 12.04.

My question is, will future Kernel updates on 12.04 be compatible or will the future updates be approriate for my aging CPU?

I went from kernel 3.2.0-23 to 3.2.0-24 update and my Pentium M is still working OK. I would think that the kernel update will be OK.

the.scarecrow
May 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I went from kernel 3.2.0-23 to 3.2.0-24 update and my Pentium M is still working OK. I would think that the kernel update will be OK.

Well that's good to know, thanks irv. I've backed up all my files so I can give it a spin tomorrow. Looks like there is life in me ol Dell yet!

irv
May 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Well that's good to know, thanks irv. I've backed up all my files so I can give it a spin tomorrow. Looks like there is life in me ol Dell yet!

I am really surprised how many old laptop/desktops I get ubuntu to run on. Last year I bought a old desktop at a yard sale for 25 cents. I added more memory that I had laying around and installed ubuntu on it and now when the grandkids come over they have a pc they can pound around on. Works for me and they love it.

the.scarecrow
May 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I am really surprised how many old laptop/desktops I get ubuntu to run on. Last year I bought a old desktop at a yard sale for 25 cents. I added more memory that I had laying around and installed ubuntu on it and now when the grandkids come over they have a pc they can pound around on. Works for me and they love it.

I still have all my Laptops and they are all Dell, thats four in total from a 486 that even has a CD drive and PCMCIA through to my 2 year old Inspiron 1750. The only failure I ever had was a disk drive head crash.

I have installed 11.10 on the D600 okay and its offering the 12.04 upgrade. Should I go straight for the upgrade or should I do the hundreds of updates first? I'm inclined to go straight for the 12.04 upgrade when I have a few hours to spare.

irv
May 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I still have all my Laptops and they are all Dell, thats four in total from a 486 that even has a CD drive and PCMCIA through to my 2 year old Inspiron 1750. The only failure I ever had was a disk drive head crash.

I have installed 11.10 on the D600 okay and its offering the 12.04 upgrade. Should I go straight for the upgrade or should I do the hundreds of updates first? I'm inclined to go straight for the 12.04 upgrade when I have a few hours to spare.

If you are going to go this route I found it is alway best to do the updates first to get everything up to date. You will have better results doing it this way. I know it takes longer, but sometimes the long way is the best way. Ones you get everything up-to-date, make sure everything is running good, then do the upgrade.

the.scarecrow
May 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
If you are going to go this route I found it is alway best to do the updates first to get everything up to date. You will have better results doing it this way. I know it takes longer, but sometimes the long way is the best way. Ones you get everything up-to-date, make sure everything is running good, then do the upgrade.

You could be right, but too late I've already done the upgrade without doing the updates first. Glad to say that it all went without any problems and I now have 12.04 running perfectly so far. It took about 30minutes to do the 11.10 install then about 2hours to do the update.

Its not at all slow or anything. It seems a shame that these older PCs have been dropped like this. I know we are being told to use Xubuntu but this is a downgraded experience on a PC that appart from this Kernel pae support, would otherwise work just fine.

So all's well and thanks for your support.

irv
May 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM
Its not at all slow or anything. It seems a shame that these older PCs have been dropped like this. I know we are being told to use Xubuntu but this is a downgraded experience on a PC that appart from this Kernel pae support, would otherwise work just fine.

So all's well and thanks for your support.
I agree with you 100%. The problem is the kernel and the support for pae. This is so pc's with large amount of memory can use it. And yes this leave the older pc's (which are still usable) sitting collecting dust. Some of these older pc can run Ubuntu with Unity just fine so for now this is going to be a work around. I have another old laptop coming in this week so I might be doing the same thing again.

sudodus
May 11th, 2013, 03:49 PM
@irv

If you still want to get Ubuntu Studio running with a new kernel (with pae), try fake-pae by 7bit. See these links, that describe how to use fake-pae

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143297

(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143297)https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu-fake-PAE

irv
May 13th, 2013, 09:27 PM
thanks for the links. I filled them in evernote for later use.