PDA

View Full Version : pcworld news: Mint Leads the List of Top Linux Distros

marcopalla
May 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
what do you think about guys?
is it true? why does it happen?

(I'm a debian/ubuntu guy so not trolling nor flaming, just coursious;-)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/246826/as_2012_dawns_mint_leads_the_list_of_top_linux_dis tros.html

As 2012 Dawns, Mint Leads the List of Top Linux Distros (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/246826/as_2012_dawns_mint_leads_the_list_of_top_linux_dis tros.html)
Times change, and so do popularity trends in Linux distributions. Here's a look at the top 10 closing out the year.

synaptix
May 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Today, Ubuntu has fallen to No. 2, and Linux Mint is the clear winner, at least according to DistroWatch's popularity rankings (http://distrowatch.com/).I stopped reading at DistroWatch, since that list is so inaccurate. xD

neu5eeCh
May 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I stopped reading at DistroWatch, since that list is so inaccurate. xD

Distrowatch is a great site. Jesse, himself, has explained what the ranking indicates. Insofar as it reveals what visitors and readers of Distrowatch are looking at, the ranking is 100% accurate.

What are inaccurate are the claims and criticisms leveled at the ranking. :popcorn:

synaptix
May 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Distrowatch is a great site. Jesse, himself, has explained what the ranking indicates. Insofar as it reveals what visitors and readers of Distrowatch are looking at, the ranking is 100% accurate.

What are inaccurate are the claims and criticisms leveled at the ranking. :popcorn:
Seems I got things mixed up, I blame the lack of coffee in my system this morning. LOL

I figured this was about the pageview hit rankings list stuff, instead it's about the actual LIST under major distributions.

FAIL>

Dragonbite
May 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
My short answer is "So?"

Linux Mint is (supposedly) a good distribution but the article cites the desktop jumble being the cause of people moving from Ubuntu to Mint.

Honestly, though, how long can this last?

I mean, Unity is being improved at a rapid rate, Gnome-shell is improving and eventually will take over all of Gnome 2's last holdouts (CentOS, Scientific, Red Hat, etc.).

Cinnamon is "ok." I guess, but it is lacking in some of the spit-and-polish. Is there enough backing to make it a stand-alone winner desktop environment (shell, technically)? Will it grow enough to outshine Xfce?

If Mint's "popularity" is reliant on "anti-Unity" sentiments I think they are going to find that fickle people that moved from Ubuntu to Mint will just as easily move from Mint to something else (even *gasp* Ubuntu!)

The handling of the desktop environments (Gnome and Unity) change could have been played out better from the users perspective, but that doesn't mean it will always be like this.

EDIT: It cites openSUSE as being sponsored by Novell. I don't think this is true since Novell and SUSE were split when Attachemate bought them.

aysiu
May 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM
There's not really much to think about this.

If Linux Mint is, in fact, more popular than Ubuntu, good for Linux Mint.
If Ubuntu is, in fact, more popular than Linux Mint, good for Ubuntu.

If any distro tops DistroWatch, it doesn't mean it's the most popular or widely used distro.

Just use whatever works best for you. The whole point of open source is that if one party benefits, we all do.

Paqman
May 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
If I made a post about Yggdrasil on my blog, and it turned out to be the most read post on my blog, would PC World run an article claiming Yggdrasil was #1 Linux distro?