PDA

View Full Version : Who would win the cup?

imlino
June 16th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Who would win the cup?

Brazil is facing great challenge

Can Germany survive to next month?

I love Italy

Somebody tell me what happened to Taylor Twellman?

Korean will win the world cup?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
come to share your emotion with other fans
http://www.talkbrand.com/cup

dermotti
June 16th, 2006, 03:34 AM
cupsys

echo $USER
June 16th, 2006, 03:45 AM
argentina

woopud
June 16th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Orange !

gamma
June 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM
USA!

But seriously, I'd put my money on Italy.

amunimanghi
June 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM
italy looks good right now. america was slaughtered against cezch republic. brazil did pretty good. anyone see the england vs (dont remeber other team)? no offence but it was boring. LOL.

FredB
June 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM
The best one. But also a country not waited for it ? What about England ?

Note : I am french and I hate french soccer team. They deserve to be kicked out as soon as possible.

bluenova
June 16th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I'm English and live in Belgium. Belgium are crap, so England will win of cause :-P

vavoem
June 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
The Dutch will prevale!

However if the get kicked out i'll put my money on the Brasilian team.
But hope the Czech team will win.

I don't like italy the play counterfootball i don't like that

lowey23
June 16th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Downunder, we would like to think that our "Soccerroos" can do it. We're not holding our collective breaths though. We will, however, be making plenty of noise until there's no point anymore.

ComplexNumber
June 16th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Note : I am french and I hate french soccer team. They deserve to be kicked out as soon as possible.
the french are potentially quite brilliant. i don't know why they seem to be underperforming of late. they should do better than they actually do.

england may have a chance, but its mere hope. i think brazil are perhaps the most likely to win it. they are simply phenomenal.

Miguel
June 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I would bet for Spain... not reaching even 1/8 finals. But those [insert nice censored word] players broke all expectations winning 4-0 against Ukranie. The funny thing is these guys have had lots of problems trying to score, and they wasted all their goals on a single match :D. Brilliant

BTW: I am *much* more interested in Formula 1, supporting Williams and Fernando Alonso. He delivers all that the national team never did

christhemonkey
June 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
England!

Never really got into the whole football thing though...

But still England all the way :D:D:D

imagine
June 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM
the french are potentially quite brilliant. i don't know why they seem to be underperforming of late. they should do better than they actually do.
The problem of the French team is that they shouldn't have recruited their players in a retirement home. I mean those people could easely be the fathers of the players of other teams.

benplaut
June 16th, 2006, 10:55 AM
italy ftw!!

easyease
June 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
England vs Argentina in the final would be nice...... with England to win!

flapane
June 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM
italy, of course

Alpha_toxic
June 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I always put my money on Spain and England NOT getting anywhere and I always win... They play good football, but for some reason always go home early.
I presonaly hope for the Czechs and Hollands - realy nice football to watch, fast, always attacking... Anyone remember Czech Republic vs Holland two years ago at the euro finals? - this is what I call football!

woedend
June 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
czech looked the best of the games I watched. Didn't catch the england game though...against trinidad & tobago

Kobalt
June 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Anyone remember Czech Republic vs Holland two years ago at the euro finals? - this is what I call football!
What a game... I remember a 30 meters shot from Nedved, in a counter attack. It smashed the bar and didn't go in but damn, that was beautiful.
I hope we'll see such matchs this year !!

beercz
June 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
This topic has been raised before: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=175145

England!!!!

Simian
June 16th, 2006, 12:44 PM
You all kno know it'll be England :)

kleeman
June 16th, 2006, 01:42 PM
After Australia beats Brazil 4-0 on Sunday you will revise your opinions....:p :p :p

Suzan
June 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Germany! :-)

patrick295767
June 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM

lol :-)

Spain can make good things for this cup !! :-({|=

Lord Illidan
June 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
ARGENTINA!!!
Oh, and Italy...

VAMOS VAMOS ARGENTINA!!

The English suck... most boring match of the year.

And Brazil weren't so hot this time.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Inevitablely I will say anyone but England, mind you they have been pretty hopeless in their last 2 games. At least Scotland knows that we're crap at any sports. Thank god for the "World Cup Mode" on the BBC website!

Funny though, because England one the Rugby World Cup in 2003, but this year Scotland beat them, even though we're rubbish at it!

Biltong (Dee)
June 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM
After Australia beats Brazil 4-0 on Sunday you will revise your opinions....:p :p :p

Oh okay. If you are that sure then I will yell for the Roos.. :-)

Although I am convinced the Argentinians are going to take the cup home with them again.

echo $USER
June 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM
ARGENTINA!!!
Oh, and Italy...

VAMOS VAMOS ARGENTINA!!

The English suck... most boring match of the year.

And Brazil weren't so hot this time.

Finally someone else that lives in reality has graced this thread. The upcoming Argentina v Holland match will be one of the best of the cup. The final will be Argentina v insert any european team here (possibly germany).

I remember seeing Saviola, Riquelme , Aimar, etc. win the under 21 tourney in France way back. Argentina won the gold two years ago at the olympics with the same line up their running now (Crespo, Saviola, Riquelme). Put your money on them, its inevitable.

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Finally someone else that lives in reality has graced this thread. The upcoming Argentina v Holland match will be one of the best of the cup. The final will be Argentina v insert any european team here (possibly germany).

I remember seeing Saviola, Riquelme , Aimar, etc. win the under 21 tourney in France way back. Argentina won the gold two years ago at the olympics with the same line up their running now (Crespo, Saviola, Riquelme). Put your money on them, its inevitable.
Do you beleive yourself?

Sheinar
June 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM
You all kno know it'll be England :)
Even a lot of England fans don't believe that.

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Even a lot of England fans don't believe that.
After the first 2 matches I am starting to worry. BUt hey this World cup you never know!

echo $USER
June 17th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Do you beleive yourself?

It's more believable than England. They were lucky to make it out of group stage.

lazyd2
June 17th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Argentina!!!

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 02:57 AM
It's more believable than England. They were lucky to make it out of group stage.
You know that some teams get better with the more matches they play. Take Bulgaria in USA 1994. We lost the first match and then finished 4th in the world.

warp99
June 17th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Prima Italia!!! \\:D/

slimdog360
June 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM
go the aussies

Lopsicle
June 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM

But not as believable as FIFA ranking Mexica and USA 4th and 5th in the world.
Now that really is Lewis Carroll fantasy, bit like Malta or Scotland winning anything!!! anywhere!!.:razz: \\:D/

Thanks for the laugh keep it up :)

Lucho
June 17th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Speaking as an american, I´m sad to se that the US got shafted with
the Czech/Italy group. MAYBE we´ll yet find a way out of that hole...
For the rest, I can say that Argentina is the team to watch. I remember
how they were in the qualifying rounds; now they´re out for blood. If I
were to bet money , it would be on Argentina. Brazil... they have the
Parreira problem, I.E. the problem is that they have Parreira :-( :-(

echo $USER
June 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Now that really is Lewis Carroll fantasy, bit like Malta or Scotland winning anything!!! anywhere!!.:razz: \\:D/

I think the same people who counted votes in florida for bush in 2000 must have came up with those rankings.

Alpha_toxic
June 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
The rankings are normal. USA and Mexico usualy play against some pretty weak teams (some islands there? I'm not sure exactly wich countries are in the North American group, except Canada) and naturaly they have allmost only wins => high coefficient. In the same time European teams play agains much stronger opponents => even the strongest teams lose some times and get lower coefficient.

bored2k
June 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The rankings are normal. USA and Mexico usualy play against some pretty weak teams (some islands there? I'm not sure exactly wich countries are in the North American group, except Canada) and naturaly they have allmost only wins => high coefficient. In the same time European teams play agains much stronger opponents => even the strongest teams lose some times and get lower coefficient.
USA has one loss. Today the battle against Italy. Make that two loses. Yeah, that's "arrivederci" USA to you. That happened on the World Baseball Classic and they still lost. So heh, trick ain't working for them.

echo $USER
June 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
USA has one loss. Today the battle against Italy. Make that two loses. Yeah, that's "arrivederci" USA to you. That happened on the World Baseball Classic and they still lost. So heh, trick ain't working for them.

To me it's amazing the US even made it to the cup considering soccer is the fifth or sixth most popular sport here behind american football, basketball, baseball, auto racing, and maybe even hockey. I might could even say tennis and golf are more popular.

Even the x games (skateboarding/snowboarding competitions) get better tv ratings here than any world cup match.

FISHERMAN
June 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
To me it's amazing the US even made it to the cup considering soccer is the fifth or sixth most popular sport here behind american football, basketball, baseball, auto racing, and maybe even hockey. I might could even say tennis and golf are more popular.

Even the x games (skateboarding/snowboarding competitions) get better tv ratings here than any world cup match.
Come on , it would be a surprise if they couldn't qualify, the CONACAF region has got to be the easiest to qualify. Mexico is the only serious opponent you have.

nilsnelson
June 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Sweden is going to win. Remember where you heard it first... :)

ComplexNumber
June 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM
that sounds about right.

christhemonkey
June 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Did anybody see the holland, ivory coast game?

What a game that was...
the ivory cost goal, pure genius.

Bakari Kone.
Legend. :D

woedend
June 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM

That was the worst game i've ever seen.
I'm not going to blame the refs for the tie, but that game was horridly called for both sides really.

lazyd2
June 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
That was the worst game i've ever seen.
I'm not going to blame the refs for the tie, but that game was horridly called for both sides really.I agree...very bad game:-&

Kindred
June 17th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Eh, that was hugely entertaining. :)

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Hey, hey, hey... Don't offend my native country!! We Maltese are not so hot at Soccer because we do not afford to spend the time to train our youngsters to do it. In Rugby, however, it is a different matter!!

I liked the match USA-ITALY... Exciting to see who the referee would send off next.

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hey, hey, hey... Don't offend my native country!! We Maltese are not so hot at Soccer because we do not afford to spend the time to train our youngsters to do it. In Rugby, however, it is a different matter!!

I liked the match USA-ITALY... Exciting to see who the referee would send off next.
The referee was crap. I think all referees are crap because FIFA says dont let them play, wristle every single contact between players which makes the match sh*t. However well done to USA!

Lord Illidan
June 17th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I personally disliked the way how Italian players react. They are full of theatrics, shouting and crying out, holding their legs in "agony"...Drama queens, the lot of `em.

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I personally disliked the way how Italian players react. They are full of theatrics, shouting and crying out, holding their legs in "agony"...Drama queens, the lot of `em.
Thats why I hate them.

echo $USER
June 17th, 2006, 11:19 PM
sorry, i might have went a little far saying hockey is more popular than soccer/football in the us. but, thats not saying much. i need to watch another soccer match like i need a shotgun blast to the face.

weatherman
June 17th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I think the referee was ok, just followed the fifa guidelines. Italy did play horribly though.

rado_london
June 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM
sorry, i might have went a little far saying hockey is more popular than soccer/football in the us. but, thats not saying much. i need to watch another soccer match like i need a shotgun blast to the face.
I am telling you for the 100000s time its called Football!

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM
If England advance beyond the Quarter-Finals it would be a Travesty. I hope a team playing Beautiful, flowing football wins (Joga Bonita).

Right now after their last display, Argentina would definetely fit that biil.

lapsey
June 18th, 2006, 12:05 AM
all i can ask is that england play well enough.

warp99
June 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Thats why I hate them.

I think Chelsea has a bit of their own theatrics going on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/4879988.stm

Pot, kettle, black??? :rolleyes:

woedend
June 18th, 2006, 02:27 AM

I agree 100%. Sorry, not just about Italy, but every team does this injury faking. Having torn my ACL twice and dislocated my knee many times, sprain ankles, the works....I can honestly say when you are in bad pain from injury you do not just lay on your back holding your shin. You squirm,roll,kick, etc. If it's not that bad you get up and shake it off.
I think players who overdo it should be yellowcarded more often.

ComplexNumber
June 18th, 2006, 03:11 AM
the italians have a habit of getting a goal and then sitting on it (ie focusing all their resources on defence to keep the lead).

Lopsicle
June 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Watching paint dry or watching Italy v USA? :confused: Think I will get out my skateboard and go round my friends and play some netball or rounders \\:D/

Lopsicle
June 18th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I think Chelsea has a bit of their own theatrics going on:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/4879988.stm

Pot, kettle, black??? :rolleyes:

There was alot of outrage from the press and the fans for that incident, you very rarely see it from an English player and we dont want it in our football :)

Lopsicle
June 18th, 2006, 06:16 AM
If England advance beyond the Quarter-Finals it would be a Travesty. I hope a team playing Beautiful, flowing football wins (Joga Bonita).

Right now after their last display, Argentina would definetely fit that biil.

Im surprised your not in Germany right now playing for your country, you certainly think you can talk a good game, you may or may not be aware that the press and fans of (England) are not happy with the performance of the team.

England havnt yet played a full game with its main strikers for over 3 months, Rooney has just returned from injury and Owen is still getting match fit, England havnt even got out of first gear yet. We dont need or care about critism from people from Malta,Scotland or USA we do a far better job with our own press:-P

ThirdWorld
June 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
The final match will be Ecuador Vs. Brazil.

Lopsicle
June 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM
There was alot of outrage from the press and the fans for that incident, you very rarely see it from an English player and we dont want it in our football :)

and another thing he plays for the Ivory Coast

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2006, 07:45 PM
The final match will be Ecuador Vs. Brazil.

I'm bettin` on Argentina. Can't wait for Wednesday - Argentina vs Holland!

bruce89
June 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM

You are allowed to take the **** out of Scotland, we know we're crap at football!

G Morgan
June 18th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I agree 100%. Sorry, not just about Italy, but every team does this injury faking. Having torn my ACL twice and dislocated my knee many times, sprain ankles, the works....I can honestly say when you are in bad pain from injury you do not just lay on your back holding your shin. You squirm,roll,kick, etc. If it's not that bad you get up and shake it off.
I think players who overdo it should be yellowcarded more often.

I disagree, I used to play rugby and never kicked and screamed when I tore my ligament because I knew I'd done damage and avoided movement. You see serious injuries in rugby all the time, if somebody is moving they're ok, its when they are not moving theres a serious problem. I've followed it all my life and have always respected rugby players because they aren't drama queens, mind you the entire game is painful so prehaps the players are de-sensitised.

As for all the England knockers. Firstly they did not struggle to get out of their group, they defied all odds and qualified without the playoffs this time, the first time I can ever remember England qualifying quite easily (must be because my useless team were in their group).

They are also in a difficult position because their best 2 strikers have been injured and Eriksson in a moment of either pure clarity or absolute madness took a 17 year old who had never played a premiership game in front of a whole host of better suited players. This has left them with Crouch as their number 1 striker (and despite all odds again he has done alright).

Personally I think Argentina will win but you can never discount Brazil and I certainly wouldn't discount the Germans at home provided their defense improves. Other than that the perenial underachievers like Spain, Holland and England are in with a shout. If Rooney hits form then England would be transformed.

Lord Illidan
June 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
With regards the drama queens, I meant in football, rather than in Rugby. And the Italians do have the tendency to over dramatise their injuries. Fakers, the lot of `em.

bruce89
June 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM
With regards the drama queens, I meant in football, rather than in Rugby. And the Italians do have the tendency to over dramatise their injuries. Fakers, the lot of `em.
I remember Father Ted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted) touched on that fact, "Typical Italian", he said, it was in the episode "Escape From Victory"

G Morgan
June 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Definately some nations are worse than others. You rarely see the Germans or the English dropping to that level though it is becoming more prevalent in England in recent times. A few years back in the UEFA Cup Final or Porto v Celtic the Porto team spent half the game on the ground.

Essentially the problem is that diving and playacting isn't punished. Personally I'd declare it as something in direct opposition to the principles of the game and give 6 month bans anytime somebody was caught. I'd deal with it after the fact as well, let the referees give the players the benefit of the doubt and decide after the fact if they dived using video evidence. Obviously this couldn't work in the WC final because some players would happily sacrifice 6 months of their careers to win the WC but it could be used to generally squeeze playacting and diving out of the game for the benefit of all.

It would certainly help the game financially, I've watched football less and less during its decent into theatrical madness. The reason finances in English football have dropped is because people have had enough of it and are voting with their feet (or the remote control).

Miguel
June 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Although this "Drama on the football pitch" is a place where football might learn from rugby, the thing it should really learn is the TV referee (or whatever it's called).

I don't know if in the other countries is the same, but referees in spain are constantly downplayed. While some of them are not precisely Colina, they shouldn't be bullied and abused as they are. This creates trends. I think that if referees would be able to call for a TV replay when in doubt in an important play most bullying would end (and calling would improve).

G Morgan
June 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Although this "Drama on the football pitch" is a place where football might learn from rugby, the thing it should really learn is the TV referee (or whatever it's called).

I don't know if in the other countries is the same, but referees in spain are constantly downplayed. While some of them are not precisely Colina, they shouldn't be bullied and abused as they are. This creates trends. I think that if referees would be able to call for a TV replay when in doubt in an important play most bullying would end (and calling would improve).

Thats one area where Rugby has another advantage. Only the captain is allowed to talk to the ref in Rugby unless the ref specifically talks to you. If another player chats then whatever infringement was given is moved forward 10m. Now they tried this in Football but territory isn't as big a consideration in Football as it is in Rugby. What they need is to find a way of punishing players in Football that can affect the result. On the Rugby field you know chat can cost you the game if a penalty is moved into range of the posts.

Personally the only equivalent I can see is if the referee gives a penalty everytime the players got out of hand. Seems extreme but it would clear up the problem in weeks. They say some players need that edge but its patent nonsense. Rugby is a game dependant on that edge entirely but you don't get the swearing and assaults on referees.

Lord Illidan
June 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I think I've got to agree with you. Yellow cards don't seem to do much to divert a player, especially in an important match like the WC. But...penalties, that would be another matter.

At the end of it, it is sport. Paying these athletes huge amounts of money, and treating them like prima donnas and divas is not good. Sure, you might say, there is the risk of injuries, etc.
What risk?? Soldiers in Iraq earn less than they do, and run the risk of being blown up every day!

G Morgan
June 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM
The beauty of these fixes is they don't destroy the game because people learn. There will be no chat after a few months so you will very rarely see a game wrecked by a penalty due to a player with a big mouth. I personally think FIFA have allowed these things to progress, thinking along the lines of 'all publicity is good publicity'. Now its reversing and they will probably deal with it.

rickympl
June 22nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Funny I dont see Portugal anywhere in this thread. Portugal all the way

(at least I hope). :D :-\"

Virogenesis
June 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
I think I've got to agree with you. Yellow cards don't seem to do much to divert a player, especially in an important match like the WC. But...penalties, that would be another matter.

At the end of it, it is sport. Paying these athletes huge amounts of money, and treating them like prima donnas and divas is not good. Sure, you might say, there is the risk of injuries, etc.
What risk?? Soldiers in Iraq earn less than they do, and run the risk of being blown up every day!
Yellow cards do prevent dives as you have seen many players have been benched incase of another yellow.
As for these athletes and their injuries, have you ever suffered from a sports injury?
I have and only last year I found out I twisted my knee about 3 yrs ago and doctor said it was just water on the knee....

As for soldiers.... they are paid to take risks and murder....

andrecasteliano
June 22nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
Well, I´m suspect, but you should believe me. Brazil will win :)

Brunellus
June 22nd, 2006, 02:26 AM
Well, I´m suspect, but you should believe me. Brazil will win :)
Maybe.

The Brazilians are getting by on flashes of genius, but there's something disconcertingly flat about the way they've been playing lately. I'm still picking Argentina, who have been a revelation thus far.

christhemonkey
June 22nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Croatia v Australia?

What on earth was going on there!

Graham Poll....

Somehow i dont think he'll be refereeing the world cup again soon.....
:D

rado_london
June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Croatia v Australia?

What on earth was going on there!

Graham Poll....

Somehow i dont think he'll be refereeing the world cup again soon.....
:D
He was my favourite referee but after todays game I hate him just as much as I hated Riley after Levski - Schalke 04 (1:3).

mehaga
June 23rd, 2006, 01:56 AM
Anyone remember Czech Republic vs Holland two years ago at the euro finals? - this is what I call football!
The best game I've seen in my life! Chechs are not that good now, though :(

G Morgan
June 23rd, 2006, 02:28 AM
He was my favourite referee but after todays game I hate him just as much as I hated Riley after Levski - Schalke 04 (1:3).

There was only ever one good referee and the Italians sacked him because he was too old :rolleyes: . Now we are stuck with idiots. I laugh at the excuses you here in the papers though, 'nobody wants to do this job'. Premiership referees are paid £100,000 a year aren't they, I'd do their they job and smile at the fans as they insult me for that money. A complete farce, the point of drastically increasing the pay for the job is to increase the interest of people who may not have done the job before. This extra interest improves standards. In England they have tripled pay then protected the jobs even harder than before, the people on the FA need a course in reality.

Anyway, Ronaldo showed the doubters exactly why he is the most talented player since Maradona (if anyone says Ronaldinho I might go nuts, he isn't even close to Ronaldo) today. A genius in every shape of the word and a complete player as opposed to being a fairy with a few tricks. 1 more he needs to take the all time record for World Cup goals (currently held by Muller). If he plays anywhere like he did today then Brazil might take the trophy at a canter. It's a shame he isn't as professional as he might be, a fit Ronaldo could have been the greatest player of all time IMHO.

givré
July 1st, 2006, 08:50 PM
ouh c'est chaud chaud

kleeman
July 2nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
Douche Froide Portugaise ?

warp99
July 2nd, 2006, 04:45 AM
Vittoria Mondiale Italia!!! \\:D/

YourDoom123
July 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM
brazil lost to france?! why france?! FRANCE! gah...

woedend
July 2nd, 2006, 05:08 AM
because ronaldo got fat...
hehe, i didnt watch these past few games so naturally I don't know...but its a shame to see him this way.

richbarna
July 2nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
woedend: ...but its a shame to see him this way.

I remember saying that about Maradonna (boyhood hero) then he became a cheating, handballing, cocaine addict.
Here in Spain we have been watching the world cup on Canal Sexto (channel six ;)), and guess who is the "guest commentator"?

Stromham
July 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
lol brazil got their but beat!

Biltong (Dee)
July 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Now we have only European countries left it going to be like the European Champions league all over again.
That's a shame as I really liked watching the different styles of soccer played :-(

G Morgan
July 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Now we have only European countries left it going to be like the European Champions league all over again.
That's a shame as I really liked watching the different styles of soccer played :-(

You mean Europeans actually play in the Champions League these days. Last time I checked most big teams were packed with South Americans. Anyway a European winner was always likely in Europe. Germany v France final IMO with Germany coming out as winners but with Zidane in the French team and looking something like his best it will be interesting. You can guarrentee the Germans won't give him the same room the tame Brazilian midfield did though and the Germans will run themselves to death before they lose less talent or otherwise. The best example of this see Ballack spending 60 minutes on an injured leg making sometimes crucial defensive contributions then scoring a penalty in the shootout. People have called them arrogant in the past but the Germans represent everything that Football should be, they play to the finish no matter the scoreline and you see no diving and no complaints when they lose.

G Morgan
July 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
because ronaldo got fat...
hehe, i didnt watch these past few games so naturally I don't know...but its a shame to see him this way.

Not his fault Brazil lost, Ronaldo scored 3 goals for Brazil in this tournument and was practically the only reason they got this far however unfit the worlds greatest player has become.

The much touted Ronaldinho went missing all tournument and the Brazillian midfield badly underperformed all tournument. By comparison Zidane is the best attacking midfield player in the world for the last 10 years. To be honest I'm glad that the French are playing to their potential again. It made no sense for great players like Henry to continually go missing in international football.

sophtpaw
July 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
Not his fault Brazil lost, Ronaldo scored 3 goals for Brazil in this tournument and was practically the only reason they got this far however unfit the worlds greatest player has become.

The much touted Ronaldinho went missing all tournument and the Brazillian midfield badly underperformed all tournument. By comparison Zidane is the best attacking midfield player in the world for the last 10 years. To be honest I'm glad that the French are playing to their potential again. It made no sense for great players like Henry to continually go missing in international football.

Football is a team game. It takes a team to win, even if they are mediocre players. Germany have proved that - playing as a team goes a long way. On the other hand you can have a group of talented players individually but if they don't gel as an ensemble then there is no 'orchestra' - England proved that.
Brazil is another example of that.
Players like Ronaldinho and Kaka did not perform to their potential because they were not in their preferred positions for a start. so, we had world class players not performing as a team; not fulfilling their potential.
I say that Brazil scored despite Ronaldo not because of him. Put any fatty in front of a Brazil team and his mates will eventually give him the ball in such a way that even he wouldn't be able to miss.
Brazil was a clear case of the individual over the team, when it sould be the other way round.
Ronaldo got his record breaking total of world cup goals and Brazil made an early exit - bravo.

there was so much talent on and off the bench, but the players i am happy to nevr see on a football pitch again are Ronaldo, and Roberto Carlos just to name two. Why coaches suffer from this dementia called denial and not see when a player is over the hill, i don't understand. Instead they keep playing and going with experience.
I would have loved seeing a new generation of talent, as there was when we saw them playing whenthey had a game to spare and relieved R.Carlos off duty and put fresh never-before seen faces on the pitch. Fresh and hungry (as in on the fielt not the restaurants and discos like Ronaldo, who looked half-asleep for the first two games) built around some more relatively experienced players and talent and players like Ronaldinho and Kaka.

luizfar
July 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
sophtpaw, you said everything.

I just have some things to add.
I don't think you should blame Ronaldinho, he's a very good player, really genious, but well, if you have the ball, and there's 5 french among you, you have to pass the ball to somebody. The question is: who??
The Brazilian team was kind of dead in the field...

Being Brazilian, the ones who I blame are: Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Ronaldo and specially the coach: Parreira.

Brazil has a lot of really good players who couldn't play because he's a weak coach (even being the coach who led Brazil to the fourth championship in 1994), thus he couldn't change player with name for players with football:
Cicinho and Robinho, two players who joined too late in the game, Cicinho is playing much much better than Cafu, and Robinho is fast, he gives speed to then team, and it's missing! a lot!
Fred, he joined in the last 5 minutes against Australia and made a goal, and he's young, eager to play..

It's kind of ironic, the best Brazilian players was the defenders...

Sorry for the bad English :)

kleeman
July 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Put any fatty in front of a Brazil team and his mates will eventually give him the ball in such a way that even he wouldn't be able to miss.
ROFLMAO!

Yeah I agree soccer really is a team sport that's why the less technically gifted Aussies got so far.

Suzan
July 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Wow, my tip with germany was not so bad!

I'm looking forward to a hot fight against italy.

Onyros
July 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Douche Froide Portugaise ?Hehehehe :P

Hope so ;)

givré
July 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
he he he, we will see :cool:

G Morgan
July 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
I don't think you should blame Ronaldinho, he's a very good player, really genious, but well, if you have the ball, and there's 5 french among you, you have to pass the ball to somebody. The question is: who??
The Brazilian team was kind of dead in the field...

Nobody doubts that Ronaldinho is a class player but I think he can be blamed in part this tournument. He did not perform in any game not just the French and it was the midfield that underperformed irrespective of the fitness of Ronaldo. There was no guts in midfield tackling and providing the ball and that stiffled the talent of the likes of Ronaldinho and Kaka and left the strikers isolated for most of the tournument. Lets be honest, Ghana outplayed Brazil bar for some ill advised high line defense which turned a very close game into a drubbing.

As for England. For a long time Eriksson has picked his best 11 players rather than putting a system together. He decided that the best idea was to pick 2 attacking central midfield players with nobody to do the hard work and hold the team together. The tactical change right in the middle of the WC exposed this as a badly thoughtout plan and if England had spent 4 years playing that system instead of 4 games they would have done much better.

I think all the hysteria in England over Eriksson wasting one of their most talented generations has proved all too true. Far too often was it Beckham, Owen, Rooney, Gerrard or Lampard winning the game with a moment of brilliance as opposed to a game plan. You can't do it against good teams who can match you player for player, you need a gameplan and hard work.

luizfar
July 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
I certainly agree with you, Morgan.

What I'm saying is that Ronaldinho couldn't play as much as he can.
And there's a lot of reasons for that.
In the previous games he played a little back in the field, had to worry with tackle the ball and defend as well, things that he's not used to do in Barcelona.
In the last game he played in his usual position, but the whole team was king of paralized, including him :S

Anyway, there's no reason to talk about that. Brazil did not play well and deserved the defeat. Also, Zidane played very very well, the best player in the game for sure, the retiring player who retired a half of the Brazil team ^^

And as you said, this world cup in proving that a team with gameplan, hardwork and playing together, is more powerful than a team with very good players but not used to play together and united.
See Germany, an example of will to win in my opinion.

Once again, sorry for the bad English :D

Lopsicle
July 3rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
****! oh well only another 705 days to Euro 2008 :p