PDA

View Full Version : Dance to music on YouTube, get sued by the RIAA.

Sirin
June 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM
The RIAA is up to it again.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060614/1837225.shtml

The RIAA is nothing if not relentless and their scope is "all-encompassing (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/05/riaa_sues_the_dead/)". Personally, I want to see the RIAA try and sue a cute little puppy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=w6-ZmYRGzaI) for dancing to “Laffy Taffy.” :rolleyes:

RavenOfOdin
June 16th, 2006, 05:05 AM
LOL, how does that work?!?
There are SO many independent artists on YouTube that it just. . .doesn't.

I wanna see them try to sue two 14-year old blond girls for making music.

Seriously. . .They would just fail horribly.

Mechanical
June 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Sometimes they get way too carried away. Who goes to youtube, downloads the flash video, rips the audio from the flash video, then puts it on cd or adds the file to their music collection with an evil pirate laugh? So silly. I love youtube and when I see good music on there I wanna go buy some albums. I just recently discovered jason webley on there, and their tom waits videos are more than a treat.

prizrak
June 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
So by that logic if I happen to have a party and play RIAA music (that I legally bought) I should be busted because it's possible that my guests do not own the same music.

23meg
June 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM
By that logic if I were to hum you a melody I'd first have to ask you if you've purchased it.

Nothing coming from the RIAA is surprising anymore; I'll just keep boycotting them.

Alpha_toxic
June 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
from the "all-encompassing" link you gave:
"Recording Industry ***. of America"
No coment. :lol:

EDIT: even this forum auto-censored it :lol:

easyease
June 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM
well being british no American institution is going to wield any power over me. they can go screw themselves. The very idea of music is to bring people together, thats why its the universal language, its totally ludicrous that one person can own a sound.
we as people have to start defending the victims of stupid lawsuits by showing support and protest at their treatment.

Iandefor
June 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM
What the hell? Why don't they actually try and go after pirates instead of consumers who are using music? They make such a bug goddamned stink over piracy, but it's utterly ineffectual, because they're going after people humming snippets of American Idiot on YouTube, instead of people making entire bloody discographies available online.

Ah, irony.

OffHand
June 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
RIAA is a sinking ship and I enjoy watching it go down.

prizrak
June 16th, 2006, 07:44 PM
By that logic if I were to hum you a melody I'd first have to ask you if you've purchased it.

Nothing coming from the RIAA is surprising anymore; I'll just keep boycotting them.
Actually humming would be illegal to begin with, since you are not authorized to reproduce the music in any way shape or form regardless of whether you bought it or not.
It would be nice to boycott RIAA but I do like mainstream stuff and alot of other people do as well. It's close to impossible to go completely independent.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM
But who would want a video of them danceing on a website anyway, it would be too embarrasing.

23meg
June 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
It would be nice to boycott RIAA but I do like mainstream stuff and alot of other people do as well. It's close to impossible to go completely independent.
Paying these companies just feeds them and keeps them alive. For a fairer system without this kind of BS they need to be taught a lesson, and it's obvious that all they're concerned about is money, so it's the only language left you can speak to them. If they're boycotted there's a chance that the existing system will choke and they'll pause and think, but if you keep buying nothing will change.

This person (http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=151787&cid=12749236) put it better than I could.

prizrak
June 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Paying these companies just feeds them and keeps them alive. For a fairer system without this kind of BS they need to be taught a lesson, and it's obvious that all they're concerned about is money, so it's the only language left you can speak to them. If they're boycotted there's a chance that the existing system will choke and they'll pause and think, but if you keep buying nothing will change.
Like I said I agree with you but not everything they make is crap (unfortunately, woulda been easier to ignore if it were). Then again I don't buy my music there are Russian music sites for a reason ;) The problem is that they still get huge royalties from radio stations and the majority of teenie boppers who will buy all that crap up either way.

23meg
June 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I'm more or less convinced that disobedience is the only way to make a difference. If you and your peers don't act up you can be sure that nothing will change at all; if you do otherwise you create a chance for a change. The teenie boppers problem isn't an independent problem on its own, it's interconnected with the rest of the "majority" problems we have.

A more important problem in my view is that people aren't aware of or don't believe in their ability to make a difference. A 0.5% decrease in sales is a huge blow to any giant corporation, and given the powers of organization and propaganda that we have (the web? P2P?) it's attainable. Actually a lot more is.

Sirin
June 17th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Oh yeah, and what about the millions of people that danced to Numa Numa? This is going to be a HUGE lawsuit.

DigitalDuality
June 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM
d

prizrak
June 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Oh yeah, and what about the millions of people that danced to Numa Numa? This is going to be a HUGE lawsuit.
Numa is hungarian or something along those lines, so it's not part of RIAA :)

Phlosten
June 17th, 2006, 11:06 AM
It's bananas. I am glad I do not live in the US, but here in Australia our government is almost ready to get the foot stuck in the bucket as well. Hopefully some petitioning may help ensure we don't go too far into the rediculous zone.

http://www.iownmymusic.org/

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Absolutely Right. It's just the final, painful thrashings of a dying Giant.

Sit back and enjoy the show. It'll soon be over.

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Sit back and enjoy the show. It'll soon be over.:-({|=

In the meantime for those wondering how to bypass The RIAA, 'allofmp3.com' is cheap, and 'free'.

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:17 AM

In the meantime for those wondering how to bypass The RIAA, 'allofmp3.com' is cheap, and 'free'.

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM

openmind

openmind

OffHand
June 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Your computer ok? lol

openmind
June 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Alright, I give in, how the hell do you delete posts??!!

imagine
June 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I agree with 23meg. The MAFIA (http://mafiaa.org) uses *your* money to sue other people. Not to mention that they are the driving force behind the war against civil rights.

http://www.downhillbattle.org/reasons/