PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update 12.04 problems

whynot
May 6th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Everyone

Today i was very happy to update my Ubuntu x64 Natty Narwhal(11.04) to 12.04 but in the beginning it has given "gnome desktop" package error. But i decided to continue.It has to download over 1060 files and i start to wait after a while i check to see whats going on in my computer.I realized that My computer stuck so i have to reboot i rebooted and with
dhclient eth0 ethernet connection established and then somethin like
dpkg --configure -a then
sudo apt-get update and
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade i complete the process with checking
update-manager -d.All the packages were installed
But i try to login into Unity desktop there were no top and left bars. Is there any way to reinstall or do this update from the beginning ?

thanks.

whynot
May 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ok
Is there anyway to clean reinstall all packages with out of losing personal Data.
I have still internet connection and working apt-get.
I would appreciated of any help.

whynot
May 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
This is my source file.

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release amd64 (20101007)]/ maverick main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise-updates main restricted

elspru
May 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have a serious 12.04 problem

international fonts just don't work.
I've installed all the font packages,
and did the sudo fc-cache -f -v
To update the font cache.

No Chinese or Japanese is working :-(,
though arabic, hindi and hebrew is.

elspru
May 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hey Whynot I found your problem, you did a dist-upgrade which doesn't actually work.. only fresh installs of 12.04 work. dist-upgrade shall be enabled for 12.04.1

If you'd like to save personal data, then back it up on either a seperate hard-drive, ubuntu one, or a partition you are very careful with during install.

whynot
May 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hey Whynot I found your problem, you did a dist-upgrade which doesn't actually work.. only fresh installs of 12.04 work. dist-upgrade shall be enabled for 12.04.1

If you'd like to save personal data, then back it up on either a seperate hard-drive, ubuntu one, or a partition you are very careful with during install.

Yes, as u said. It could be the problem dist-upgrade. But i found someway out. I dont want to lose my datas so first i found this amazing website http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/ i add my new repositories for 12.04 and then i run

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xubuntu
in login menu i selected xubuntu and xfc desktop is working for me excellent. im going to wait for now updates maybe it works some day.
Thanks.

whynot
May 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
never mind

jadtech
May 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM
ok well the codes you should have typed to atempt to resume if at all possible were as follows ..

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -f

the -f would build a dependency list Tree, and would have to attempted to down load any packages incomplete or missing and then finished installing them

other command if needed would be install -f this would help things depackage in an order as not to create more dependences issues if possible and stopped giving you a list of thing you need to install before it could continue ..

that is how I understand it to be done any how

in the end configure -a will configure programs that are opened and installed not configured before getting stopped or interupted ..

whynot
May 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
ok well the codes you should have typed to atempt to resume if at all possible were as follows ..

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -f

the -f would build a dependency list Tree, and would have to attempted to down load any packages incomplete or missing and then finished installing them

other command if needed would be install -f this would help things depackage in an order as not to create more dependences issues if possible and stopped giving you a list of thing you need to install before it could continue ..

that is how I understand it to be done any how

in the end configure -a will configure programs that are opened and installed not configured before getting stopped or interupted ..

it works like charm. It has to repair or reinstall two files one of them update-manager and something else.
Now ,Im using my Unity desktop.

Thanks a lot.

jadtech
May 18th, 2012, 02:08 AM
glad it worked good luck Enjoy