PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Software center and update manager won't start

glasafmt
May 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hi

I'm using Ubuntu Studio (based on ubuntu 11.04) and I can't get the software center or the upgrade manager to start. If I open the software center from the command line, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 111, in <module>
from softwarecenter.app import SoftwareCenterApp
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py", line 40, in <module>
from softwarecenter.db.application import Application, DebFileApplication
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/application.py", line 19, in <module>
from apt.debfile import DebPackage
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
from apt.package import Package
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/package.py", line 42, in <module>
import apt.progress.text
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/progress/__init__.py", line 32, in <module>
from apt.progress.old import (CdromProgress, DpkgInstallProgress,
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/progress/old.py", line 35, in <module>
from apt.progress import base, text
ValueError: bad marshal data (unknown type code)

and a very similar error when I try the update manager:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 32, in <module>
from UpdateManager.UpdateManager import UpdateManager
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 40, in <module>
import apt
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
from apt.package import Package
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/package.py", line 42, in <module>
import apt.progress.text
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/progress/__init__.py", line 32, in <module>
from apt.progress.old import (CdromProgress, DpkgInstallProgress,
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/progress/old.py", line 35, in <module>
from apt.progress import base, text
ValueError: bad marshal data (unknown type code)

I've tried reinstalling the various individual parts (including python). Anyone got any other suggestions as to what to try?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Paddy Landau
May 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Reinstalling will do nothing, as it simply installs the programs again. (Unlike Windows, there is no Registry to be reset.)

Try the following three commands in a terminal, in order, and tell us what happens. (If you post the results, please enclose the results within
and .)

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
sudo dpkg --configure --pending
sudo apt-get update

glasafmt
May 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think they turned up anything of interest. The first command told me that there were packages to remove (nothing related) and the third command told me about an issue with a public key on a ppa (which I added to the sources list after the update manager and software center stopped working).

I removed the packages, but the update manager is still giving the same error.

I can't be certain, but this could have happened when I installed the packages for Ubuntu Studio. I didn't install Studio directly, I changed an existing Ubuntu installation to Studio.

Paddy Landau
May 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I've Googled your error (https://www.google.com/search?q=ValueError%3A+bad+marshal+data+ubuntu+bug ) and found several items, so I think you are not alone; but none of them that I saw pointed to anything that would be of use.

Unless someone else can respond here with better information, I think you may have to back up your data, reinstall, and restore. Perhaps install Ubuntu Studio if that's what you need.

Sorry I can't be of help.