PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome 3.4 Notifications with Rhythmbox

chazdg24
May 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Notifications are not working in Gnome 3.4 but they are working in Unity. I have tried everything I can think of but I am stumped. For example, if listening to an Internet radio station, Rhythmbox displays each song played in Unity. It was working in Gnome 3.4, but not anymore. I did notice the Rhythmbox icon in the Message area, but no song listing.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? Thanks everyone.

markbl
May 6th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Notifications are working in my favoured music player which is guayadeque. I just tried rhythmbox and notifications don't work for me either. There does not seem to be a setting. Must be a bug?

Choose a better player. We are spoilt for choice on linux.

BTW, make sure you install the media player indicator extension (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/55/media-player-indicator/). It is superb. Why this is not standard in gnome-shell is a question up there with why the power-off option is hidden.

chazdg24
May 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Notifications are working in my favoured music player which is guayadeque. I just tried rhythmbox and notifications don't work for me either. There does not seem to be a setting. Must be a bug?

Choose a better player. We are spoilt for choice on linux.

BTW, make sure you install the media player indicator extension (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/55/media-player-indicator/). It is superb. Why this is not standard in gnome-shell is a question up there with why the power-off option is hidden.

Yes, that is a great extension. I think the problem may have been a theme I was using (Zikini). When I went back to default theme and rebooted several times, did Notifications start to work. I hate the default theme - oh well.

I will give guayadeque a try.

Thanks.

chazdg24
May 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
The problem is an issue with themes. I tried guayadeque and changed the Theme to Eleganse. Same problem, no track notification. Tried a few others, rebooted but the same issue, so this appears to a Gnome-Shell 3.4 issue, not a Rythmbox issue.

ravenax
May 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM
hey exactly same problem... although for me rhythmbox notification came back after a restart, chat n removable devices notification are still not working... guess some update messed it up =(