PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] changing resolution leads to over sized windows

xdevnull
May 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
here's the problem. I use an external monitor with my laptop which has a higher resolution. I don't like all of my windows maximized. I do like to have bigger windows when I have a higher resolution and a bigger monitor.

When I go home and use my laptop without the larger monitor, many of my windows, which were not maximized, hang over the edge. For instance, thunderbird especially does this vertically, and since the workspace layout is now vertical as well as horizontal, and I have thunderbird in the lower workspace, it hangs down from the bottom space to the top of the top space.

Having the status line cut off is kind of irritating, but what is really frustrating is clicking on the thungderbird icon and not switching to it b/c the window manager thinks I'm on the right workspace because the thunderbird toe is hanging down from the top of my current workspace.

Is there an option to force windows to not spread out past the workspace when they are launched or to resize themselves to fit? Or something else to turn on? I do have Compiz Manager installed and am reasonable comfortable with tweaking things.