PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After installing 12.04, windows have no corner buttons

the big e
May 6th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I just ran the upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04, and now something very weird is happening.

When any window opens up, it no longer has its little dots or x's in the corner that you click to close, fullscreen, or minimize the window.

In some cases I open up a dialog box, and there is NO WAY TO MAKE THE DIALOG BOX GO AWAY because it has no other kind of "close" button, and ^W doesn't work because that closes the document, not the dialog box.

What happened? What can I do, short of reinstalling and stuff? Is there some hidden setting?

(dual-boot on a Thinkpad, in case that's relevant.)

the big e
May 6th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I should add:

1)
In case it's relevant, I ran that script when I upgraded to version 11 last time, that gets rid of the cute new interface and restores the old one.

Now I don't have the new interface showing on my version 12, and I thought it would default to that. (though I am not sure I want it anyway; I am just confused that it isn't there.)

2)
During my installation process, I hit a funny bump. The progress bar for the installation stopped, (at an early place) and I opened the hidden terminal window, and I saw A USER PROMPT! I. e., there was a place where I was supposed to click OK on the character-matrix screen in the terminal window. (all in eighties-style character-matrix-that-looks-like-buttons display in the hidable terminal window in the installation dialog box) Then a minute later, there was another one. After I clicked on the second one, the install procedure continued normally.

kansasnoob
May 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Assuming you're using the Unity DE log out and choose Ubuntu-2D. If you then get a workable DE it's either Compiz or graphics chip related.

If you're using "gnome classic" log out and choose "classic (no effects)".

Based on what happens trying that we'll be able to try and figure things out ;)

the big e
May 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you, Kansasnoob. I tried logging in and out in the various modes, and after logging back in it's behaving itself again. I am still a little confused and I wonder whether it's going to do something strange again.

sammiev
May 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Ubuntu Tweak will fix your problem. Nice little program.