PDA

View Full Version : New File Browser Wanted

davesmith
May 6th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hi

I have accumulated a very large collection of astronomy-related material - jpeg & tif images, scientific papers in .pdf format, txt files etc.

Unfortunately it's too large for Nautilus to open, so hitherto i've used Konqueror in it's file manager role - and because it will also open images. But i've now got about 27,000 files and its very slow....

Does anyone have a suggestion for a faster file manager that will integrate well with the GNOME desktop? I'm willing to try any reasonable idea.

Thank you

Lars Noodén
May 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM
dolphin is another option. You might consider something for the images, Shotwell is a good too for that and so is Digikam.

davesmith
May 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hi Lars Thank you. Dolphin is indeed a good choice - i installed and test drove it across a directory with 27,000 files today and it loaded them faster than konqueror. The best image viewer seems to be gthumb - just give it a couple of minutes to index the images and the slideshow works nicely I'm having trouble with an external drive that wont automount. How are you on terminal code? I had to put an entry in my fstab so i could mount it manually

eric-yorba
May 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Can't you just turn off thumbnails in Nautilus?