PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 Update Manager bug

John Whillier
May 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
After upgrading to 12.04, I get the following message when trying to run Update Manager

I have a dual-boot Toshiba Satellite Laptop (64 bit, Core I3 with 4 MB RAM). The same thing happens if I boot into 11:10, which is still installed. Update Manager then freezes and I am not able to report the bug. However the system and other software is still usable. Any ideas?

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/za.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_univers e_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

dino99
May 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
the forum is full of such warning/error, update-manager is simply too buggy, better to use synaptic

sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo synaptic

John Whillier
May 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks

I tried it, and got the following:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/za.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_univers e_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I am beginning to think this was a pre-existing problem, not necessarily a 12.04 issue.

katrine_l
May 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I also just upgraded to 12.04 and have the same problems.. When I opened synaptic I got a similar error:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_main_binary-i386_Packages

John Whillier
May 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I found this old fix, and it works.

Re: Section with no package header in Apt

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo apt-get update

...and it worked.
by caseygibbs; May 8th, 2011 at 05:05 PM..

dev021
July 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you it works very well

marty777
July 12th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I have a Netgear WLAN Router, and if it looses Internet connection, it shows an internal webpage, that tells you, it does not have Internet connection. That is just fine for humans, but bad for tools like update manager. Because I have found all update/partial files in /var/lib/apt/lists/ contain this web page of my Netgear Router. :(

The solution mentioned above helps.

dru3692
August 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
commands from post #5, then post #2 worked great for me. Thanks!