PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 Upgrade mishaps

pydsigner
May 6th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I upgraded my laptop from Xubuntu Natty to 11.10. I was using XFCE, and my problems began when the upgrade froze at upgrading XFCE. I killed the upgrade, and rebooted the computer. That failed. So I rebooted into the command line, and got the upgrade finished from there. I rebooted the computer, and ran into several unpleasant behaviors (after running a partial upgrade):
1. The sysinfo program no longer worked
2. GTK theming was broken. The themes, which were still installed, could no longer be found by the XFCE themer, and the Gnome themer was gone.

If I could get along with Unity, I would be OK, but it's wimpy in the first place, and the show all programs option in the program viewer is broken.

Now all this doesn't bother me too much, because I don't use my laptop much at all. But I have a Workstation with the Zorin OS 5 spinoff. I would like to upgrade this computer to get such new software as Linux 3. But I don't care to get the same result that I got on my laptop.

Will 12.04 do this to me? Can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

pydsigner
May 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've got a hunch that it's GTK3 that's doing this to me, so I'll try installing a GTK3 engine.