PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Loading 12.04

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I have a Dell desktop that came with Ubuntu 9.04 and I download each new version when available. First I
burn the OS onto a CD then download the OS from the website to my computer in order to save what I have on the computer. When I downloaded 12.04 to replace 11.04, I was on the web as one user and would then switch to another user to see how much time remained on the download. When I thought the download was done, I checked it. What I found was only the desktop background and cursor but no icons. I then shut the box down. When I powered up all there was was a black screen with a blinking bar in the upper left hand corner. I evidently lost the boot program. What happened and what is the solution?

timsdeepsky
May 6th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Do you have another computer to download 12.04 again and burn as an iso to cd..??..Also,,why switch users to look at the download progress..??..

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 03:00 AM
I do not have a second computer. I use certain users for certain types of internet use. Why did the download exclude the boot prompt? Also, is the Synaptic Management Package no longer available?

timsdeepsky
May 6th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Your first post is kind of confusing....Did you actually get 12.04 downloaded and on a cd..??..Then did you actually put the cd in and boot from the cd to test 12.04 in your desktop..??..And if so,,did you install 12.04..??..

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 03:51 AM
The first thing I do when switching to a new OS version is copy it to a CD. Fortunately this is how I eventually loaded 12.04. But as I said I lost everything on 11.04. I even tried loading 12.04 from the CD along side the web downloaded package hoping I could log in from there. But no luck with that.

timsdeepsky
May 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
So if i am understanding you right,,,,You have installed 12.04 and cannot login now right??....If this is true,,,,have you tried re-installing again??

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Before I tried a direct download I downloaded 12.04 to a CD and used that to load the OS. But the problems I described happened when I tried a direct download. Everything is up and running now but I lost files because I had to use a CD upgrade. I also can't use Java for streaming data even after downloading it. That's why I prefer the upgrade from the internet.

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Before I tried a direct download I downloaded 12.04 to a CD and used that to load the OS. But the problems I described happened when I tried a direct download. Everything is up and running now but I lost files because I had to use a CD upgrade. I also can't use Java for streaming data even after downloading it. That's why I prefer the upgrade from the internet.

timsdeepsky
May 6th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Sweet....So you are good to go right??

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, but why did the download of 12.04 from the internet fail and what is the solution? Also, is Synaptic Package Manager no longer available?

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Yes, but why did the download of 12.04 from the internet fail and what is the solution? Also, is Synaptic Package Manager no longer available?

timsdeepsky
May 6th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Ubuntu software center replaced synaptic....But,,,,synaptic is in the repos for download also if you wish....Once you learn how to navigate in the software center,,it is quite nice....I have always downloaded the iso from the torrents and burned to cd and installed....I have never had any troubles doing that....Maybe you had a corrupted download the first time??....

Thelmaster Too
May 6th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the explanations and patience. I appreciate your time taken to help me.