PDA

View Full Version : Media player for the Nintendo DS

BWF89
June 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know if this will work on Linux?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7785079&type=product&id=1142290252947

loell
June 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
there's a great possibility it would :)

when you plug it in your usb, ubuntu can see this as usb drive..

Brunellus
June 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
The real trick will be getting movies sized and encoded correctly.

Jucato
June 16th, 2006, 02:16 AM
You mean that this is the only way you can play media in Nintendo DS? Oh crap, I was planning on buying one instead of saving up for PSP, since I play more Nintendo games than PS. But it seems PSP has more functions (mp3, video, and PDF I think). But PSP can't play PS1/2 games, unless it's on their special UMD.

@Brunellus: if Nintendo DS can play DivX videos, there's a very nice free software called pocketdivxencoder that allows you to encode most video formats into mobile device compatible divx formats.

Fallom
June 16th, 2006, 04:49 AM
You mean that this is the only way you can play media in Nintendo DS? Oh crap, I was planning on buying one instead of saving up for PSP, since I play more Nintendo games than PS. But it seems PSP has more functions (mp3, video, and PDF I think). But PSP can't play PS1/2 games, unless it's on their special UMD.

@Brunellus: if Nintendo DS can play DivX videos, there's a very nice free software called pocketdivxencoder that allows you to encode most video formats into mobile device compatible divx formats.

There are several different kinds of media players out for the DS. The handheld itself doesn't have any memory or support for memory cards, so your options are pretty limited.

That being said, the games for the DS are in a whole new league of fun and I've found that they're better than anything I can play on my consoles.

BWF89
June 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
The real trick will be getting movies sized and encoded correctly.
That's what I was worrying about. It says The included PC utility disc lets you convert movie files to a format that will be playable on your DS.. Will the utility included work on Linux (WINE possibly) or if your computer recognises it as a flash drive is it hard to convert the videos to the format that will play on the DS by yourself?

shrimphead
June 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
the psp is ****, trust me I have one. if you want a portable media player/mp3 player get a gp2x it is dual processor, runs linux by default and has mplayer preloaded.

if you want to play games get a ds!

costoa
June 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I'd say yes with too much work. The problem seems to be that they use a proprietary codec. While the encoding part might work through WINE I'd personally wait until someone punches out a MPEG4/DiVX version (which should happen by the end of the year). I've encoded my movies as both high and low quality. A two hour moive at high res: ~700M, low res: ~250M (and still pretty good). Encoding into a 3rd version only playable on one machine is too much of a bother for me.

BTW, did you know Opera for the DS will be out soon?

Couple of links:
Moive players for the DS (http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=246)
Review of the M3 (http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=7135)

Jucato
June 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM
the psp is ****, trust me I have one. if you want a portable media player/mp3 player get a gp2x it is dual processor, runs linux by default and has mplayer preloaded.

if you want to play games get a ds!

Well I was hoping to play games, watch movies, listen to mp3, and probably read some documents. :D

Last I checked, PSP could do all that. Except that there are only a few games that I like on PS, and they don't even have UMD versions for them. So I was hoping that Nintendo DS could do the same. Unfortunately, it seems that you need to have some extra plugins/hardware to do that, plus AFAIK there are no document readers for it. And I'm not sure such plugins/hardware are available here.

I'll probably try to save up for a gp2x, once it's made available locally. :D

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
i gould work but i be hard to get ik in the rith forum and sice it
That doesn't even make sense.