PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installation problem

micdac
May 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hey,
after my parents had a virus on their old win xp machine I tried to install xubuntu 12.04.
Since I could not use an USB stick I used the CD installation with a complete format and the standard installation. after a certain time I get a error message (see attached pictures) and the installation stops.

I tried three different hard drives and two different cd-rom and burned xubuntu twice on lowest speed, but the problem occurs always.

The PC has the components: Abit AV8, AMD X2 3600+, 2GB Ram and an ATI 1650 card.

I guess that this mistake will also occur with another distro, but I haven't checked yet.

kc1di
May 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Does the live session work at all?

micdac
May 5th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I did not try the Live session, but choose directly installation. I will give a try.

neu5eeCh
May 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I did not try the Live session, but choose directly installation. I will give a try.

Also, did you verify the integrity of the burn via md5 or sha256sum?

Also, on some older CDRom drives, I've run into problems using "burned linux media"?

linuxmatt7
May 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Make sure you burned the CD/DVD correctly. This same happened to me when I was installing Linux Mint on my dad's laptop. I didn't burn the CD/DVD correctly. If you still see this try using the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS CD/DVD install then install XFCE over Unity. Now you can remove Unity.

micdac
May 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I was able to boot from an usb stick, I tried for safety Linux Mint Lisa 12 and I didn't make it even to the GUI of the installation.

I attached two pictures of the error I got during the beginning of the installation.

It seems to be a distribution independent problem. I will maybe try to install Windows to see if it works, but this is the last option.