PDA

View Full Version : Vista most secure OS in the industry...

_simon_
June 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
so says Microsoft senior vice president Bob Muglia

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Vista_Most_Secure_OS_Ever/1150366131

orev
June 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I suppose anything is possible...even though some things are unlikely... ;)

bruce89
June 15th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I'd like to see them say that 10 minutes after it is released. It also depends what you mean by "secure", I mean look at the number of security updates there have been for Dapper already. I realise that number doesn't matter.

John.Michael.Kane
June 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
security is an everyday thing. you find a way to secure your machine, and someone is waiting to find another way in.

Just my thoughts..

angkor
June 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Vista is the most secure OS in the industry...

Don't you just love modesty. :rolleyes:

I'll just wait and see when it gets released.

bruce89
June 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I remember Bill Gates claiming that there "Are no bugs in Windows 95".

Oops.

RavenOfOdin
June 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Ha, and these were the same people that claimed Vista would be "virus free". . .

I trust them about as far as I can throw their corporate building.

prizrak
June 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
After Vista reaches a significant market share we will talk. Till then I say DOS is the most secure OS.

nalmeth
June 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Vista will also support smart cards with its user-based file and folder encryption technology known as EFS. Moreover, integrated rights management (RMS) enables organizations to enforce access policies for individual documents, which would prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.
Trying not to call it DRM

imagine
June 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 are already the most secure operating systems ever, so unfortunately theres no place left for Vista.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I remember Bill Gates claiming that there "Are no bugs in Windows 95".
But there haven't been any bugs in Win95 or subsequent releases... merely undocumented features ;)
I'm sure Vista is the most secure OS around, as long as nobody actually installs it...

bruce89
June 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Also, depends what they mean by "industry", probably means in this case the best Windows released in the last 5 years.
Oh hold on, it's the only one.

They should rewrite the kernel.
Oops, they did that, and even after that it still fell to the same vulnerability that XP fell to - WMF.

23meg
June 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Whenever I hear someone claiming any particular OS is the most secure one I turn away instinctively.

bruce89
June 15th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Whenever I hear someone claiming any particular OS is the most secure one I turn away instinctively.
Go one then.

nuvo
June 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
The chances of Vista being the most secure OS available are slim.
This would probably see them stripping out much of the NT kernel as well as many of the applications such as Internet Explorer.
While Explorer 7 does appear to have significant upgrades (it has tabs now and some level of probably very bad attempt at CSS3 support), I doubt they have managed to get rid of every little problem as they would need to basically chuck the whole thing away and start again (although, Firefox is open source... Hmmm...).
I've heard similar claims that other versions of Windows are secure, but as soon as they get online, there's going to be something that'll hit hard.
Who knows, there could already be people working on viruses to target Vista, but they wouldn't put them out until it's on shelves and installed on a significant number of systems as such a thing would need someone to attack and they wouldn't want to give Microsoft time to fix things.
Lets not forget that Microsoft has added a lot of new features to Vista, and if their previous "upgrades" have been anything to go by, that means a lot of new gaping holes too.

I'll do what I did with Windows XP, give it a week or two and see if "New virus hits latest Windows" is in the news papers or on the net...

Jasper Houtman
June 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
So far I fail to see the benefits of Vista anyway.
Huge amound of HD space needed, high hardware requirements.
If I need those specifications just to run the OS, then I don't even want to know what I need to run a game on Vista.

Reed and weep (definately secret plot with hardware manufacturers to force us to upgrade :razz: :

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor (absolute minimum 800MHz)

System Memory 512 MB minimal 1 GB recommended
GPU DirectX 9 Capable (WDDM Driver Support recommended) for minimal
for recommended:
Windows Aero Capable
DirectX 9-class GPU that supports:
A WDDM Driver

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware (32 bits per pixel).
Adequate (??? how much is adeqaute?) graphics memory

they recommend 128MB Graphics Memory.

HDD free space minimal 15G recommended 40G (!!! is about half of my current HD)

DVD ROM drive

G Morgan
June 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
This is just clever marketing. They decided to recode the TCP/IP stack rather than continue using the BSD one they've used the last few releases. So far they've not managed to get it working so rather than report no internet access they decided it better to report a unbreakable security system.

See you need to take a bad situation and turn it into a good one. :D

warning this post may not be entirely accurate since it was sent via the Vista TCP/IP stack.

warning that may not actually be true.

taurus
June 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Of course, it's the most secure OS from them. That's why they will sell you monthly subscription to protect your PC from viruses, spyware, firewall, etc.! Oh, the join of sucking the money out of every customer who dares to run their product... :---)

cstudent
June 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I've got my Windows machine 100% secure.

It's not hooked up to the internet.
It's not turned on.
It's locked up in the closet.

See. 100% secure.

DoctorMO
June 16th, 2006, 12:51 AM
My most secure windows machine is the one in the third alternate universe along where microsoft is a plucky medium sized company with a load of great deveopers who learned their lessons. it also happens to be the only universe where I have a windows machine and pigs fly.

----

Windows: I don't use, I don't fix it and I have trained my revoted face for when someone sujests either.

Compucore
June 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Its like if you did a left cheek sneak there Vista might as well say that the user isn't secured you know.:D I did see at the local computer shop over here that they had set up a beta version of Vista to show what it looks like. I had seen it and it didn't impress me one bit. Didn't go to far either I had just glanced at the monitor. I'd just prefer my dapper ever so nicely over here. And yes your right since dapper came out there are a couple of updates here and there during the last week or so. But I'd prefer that the updates come up once or every couple of days on Dapper than just once a month or when it is already an emergency like it is on windows sometimes.

Compucore

I'd like to see them say that 10 minutes after it is released. It also depends what you mean by "secure", I mean look at the number of security updates there have been for Dapper already. I realise that number doesn't matter.

Adamant1988
June 16th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Vista is going to fall prey to it's own users this time. Those "You need permissions to do this" warnings are going to become SO common that people will just hit 'ok' on reflex.

Next, it's windows... there are going to be a lot of nice friendly worms and exploits popping up for it. It's just going to happen. Windows needs to get rid of the registry and use an 'emulator' program to install older Windows programs that need the registry. (I can't remember the name but such a product does exist as a software virtualization suite, MS could easily replicate it).

That's my opinion at least....

Iandefor
June 16th, 2006, 02:24 AM
See. 100% secure. Not 100%. Someone could always break in and steal it. Anyways, what are you doing with a (presumably) functional computer turned off in a closet?

cstudent
June 16th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Not 100%. Someone could always break in and steal it. Anyways, what are you doing with a (presumably) functional computer turned off in a closet?

Nah. Not worried about someone stealing it. My two watchdogs will protect it. :)

http://www.falcon1.net/~wjkirby/images/rng.jpg

I have several computers lying around at the moment not being used. They'll be eventually robbed for parts or I'll fix one up and find some use for it. Sometimes I give them away to people who really can't afford one.

Sushi
June 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
OpenBSD, AIX, IRIX, NetWare... I would rank all those miles ahead of Vista (Or Linux).