PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] failed installation/ login in

anyutka2009
May 5th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Was upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04. As it was installing, shut off my laptop. now turned it on and tried to login. it won't let me and i can't log in. anything i can do? can i log in with recovery console?? really needd help here

carl4926
May 5th, 2012, 05:06 AM
You basically borked everything.

Re-install from scratch.

A live CD will let you get to your files in your /home/username
to back them up to a safe place

Then do a clean install

carl4926
May 5th, 2012, 05:09 AM
There is a remote possibility that you could chroot in to your installation and use synaptic from there to repair the mess you have.

What version were you upgrading from? Do you have the install CD for it?

anyutka2009
May 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
will a usb work? and how do i save my files?

carl4926
May 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM
A live USB will be OK
You need a partition to save the files to (Unless you have a separate /home partition, in which case you can do a new install and leave that un-formatted) or an external HD to backup the files to? I've used a windows partition before on computers I've repaired, assuming it has the space. I just create a folder on the C, call it linux_files or whatever you like. Copy your files over. Re-insatall Ubu. Copy the files back once Ub is up and running.

anyutka2009
May 5th, 2012, 05:22 AM
i'll be prompted when i reinstall with the usb what i want to do, right?
i've intalled it before when i had all my files backed up, but this time nothing is backed up.

anyutka2009
May 5th, 2012, 05:26 AM
There is a remote possibility that you could chroot in to your installation and use synaptic from there to repair the mess you have.

What version were you upgrading from? Do you have the install CD for it?

i was upgrading from ubuntu 11.10 to ubuntu 12.04.
what do u mean by chroot?
i have a live usb, not cd

carl4926
May 5th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Don't you know if you have a separate /home or not? Don't you have a windows installation?

The installer will not prompt you to backup. And it may well make a suggestion for the install that is not ideal. I always choose something else here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Ubuntu/ubuntu_11.10/4_install_custom.jpeg
And manage my partition manually

anyutka2009
May 5th, 2012, 05:31 AM
i don't have windows installation.... guess ill have to have my bro do this for me