PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] pulseaudio applet is gone

Park Bom
May 5th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I was having trouble playing sound on Xubuntu 12.04 (it worked for weeks then suddenly stopped), so I deleted pulseaudio and all of its related files. A reinstallation seems to have fixed the sound issue, but how can I re-add the applet? Thankfully I have a screenshot to help explain it:

What I'd like to have it look like
http://i.imgur.com/kyoNK.png

What it currently looks like
http://i.imgur.com/AmXYg.png

I'm new to Linux, so an explanation in layman's terms is preferred :]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Toz
May 5th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Do you have indicator-sound installed? Look for it in the software centre or from a terminal window:

apt-cache policy indicator-sound
...to see if its installed, and if not:

sudo apt-get install indicator-sound

RJARRRPCGP
May 5th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I deleted pulseaudio and all of its related files. A reinstallation seems to have fixed the sound issue, but how can I re-add the applet?

It's possible that even when the volume control isn't part of Pulse Audio itself, APT ended up deleting it.

The APT package manager may claim a program is related to another program and thus just goes ahead and deletes it!

You must use apt-get with caution and read the list of stuff it plans to remove, before hitting y!

I dunno how to re-add it. Sorry.

Park Bom
May 5th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Do you have indicator-sound installed? Look for it in the software centre or from a terminal window:

apt-cache policy indicator-sound
...to see if its installed, and if not:

sudo apt-get install indicator-sound

It was not installed, so I downloaded it. However, I do not see it as an option when I try to add a new applet to a panel. I also tried removing then re-adding the indicator plugin, but to no avail.

Toz
May 5th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Looks like its tied into dbus. Try logging out and back in again. Maybe even rebooting.

Toz
May 5th, 2012, 03:39 AM
And if still no luck, have a look at the log file ~/.xsession-errors for some clues.

Park Bom
May 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Looks like its tied into dbus. Try logging out and back in again. Maybe even rebooting.
Rebooting did not add the option for the applet, but I installed xfce4-mixer and it works just as well, with more features :]
Thank you for the help everyone!