PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How To Do Minimal Install, Then Add KDE?

buzzingrobot
May 5th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Can someone suggest a way to do a rather minimal 12.04 install with the intent of later installing KDE?

I installed the KDE-Full package yesterday and like it. To avoid the mixing and matching of everything, I have been trying repeatedly to install Kubuntu. However, Kubuntu install CD's crash before displaying the grub menu. (So do straight Ubuntu CD's,for that matter.) The installation starts from a USB drive but the installer either crashes during manual partitioning or when the process indicator displays 86% (it stalls as Ubiquity hits 100% of CPU). And each failed USB install renders the USB drive unbootable, forcing me to recreate it each time. So far, I've made 7 attempts.

Oh, and the installer worked well enough to wipe my Ubuntu install.

I can get Ubuntu 12.04 installed if I install 11.10 first and then dist-upgrade. (A kernel bug crashes installs with my video card. It doesn't get far enough to add kernel options.)

I don't want to go those lengths again, but I would if I can install a minimal Ubuntu before I add KDE.

zvacet
May 5th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Read this. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems)After installing xorg install KDE by typing

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop