PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Unity Bar - How to display list of open windows?

Hypnoz
May 4th, 2012, 11:28 PM
I feel like I'm having a usability issue with the unity bar, and I want to know if anyone else has a work around.

Right clicking an icon on unity bar lets you open a new window, but doesn't list all the open windows you have. I often have 10+ windows open in chrome or terminal. And I need to be able to quickly move between the right terminals.

It feels like the only way to browse the open windows on my computer is to have it go into "tile view" mode, but if I have 10+ windows open for an app, especially terminal, this doesn't help me. I need to actually view a list of all the title bars of the windows I have open.

Essentially, I want a list view of open windows.

Thanks!

Hypnoz
May 4th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I searched a little more and it seems others have the same issue, but the only suggestion that resolves is to install another dock, so I'll have to try out cairo, avant, docky, etc to see if any of those can give a list of open windows.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37722/hard-to-find-one-window-among-many

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38505/how-can-i-see-a-list-of-all-open-windows-at-the-bottom-of-the-screen-in-unity

I feel like this is an important feature that should be added to the unity dock or it is basically unusable for power users :frown:

grahammechanical
May 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I am not a power user like you, so what can I say, except that I can press Alt+Tab and then an arrow key until I get to the application I want out of all the applications with open windows, then if I wait a little bit all the windows of that application will spread out and I can select the one I want to switch to.

I can do much the same pressing Alt+key above Tab and after selecting the application all its open windows spread out before me and I can use the same key above Tab to cycle through the windows.

Or I can click on the application icon in the launcher and all the open windows of the application will spread out for me to choose from.

Perhaps you have forgotten. It is Ubuntu for humans. Not Ubuntu for power users. From the beginning Ubuntu has been designed and will continue to be designed for ordinary users and not the elite.

By the way, while 12.04 was under development this feature of Unity as well as the other features was user tested by some of us as much as five times as Unity went from version 5.0 to version 5.10.

The way Ubuntu is now is the way it is meant to be.

mc4man
May 5th, 2012, 05:12 AM
This was an interesting idea, (more like a proof of concept) that didn't get picked up on nor moved foward to address a few issues.
http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2012/03/16/unity-window-quicklists/

I may run it again, last did in mid-march, to revisit the issues
It's too bad the author didn't apparently want to progress it
(didn't even fix the autostart .desktop which used UNITY instead of Unity in a critical line. - 3rd to last comment I had

markbl
May 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I often have 10+ windows open in chrome or terminal. And I need to be able to quickly move between the right terminals.
Use alt+<key above tab>. E.g. you are working in a terminal window and you want to move to another one of your 10 other terminal windows then just press alt+<key above tab> (backtick key for most us keyboards) and then use the mouse to directly select the one you want or press that combination a few times. It will toggle between the last 2 windows. This works the same in Unity, Gnome-shell, and Mac OSX.

I like gnome-shell. Just press the meta key and then mouse select the window you want from the spread view (same as meta+w on Unity).