PDA

View Full Version : Create A Drag And Drop Script For PDF Code

AmbientOcclusion
May 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I was trying to find a way to create some sort way to have a script run on a file if I drag the file onto it.

For example, using this pdf resize code:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

If I had it in some sort of script file that all I had to do was drop a pdf on it and have it be resized, that would be the solution I need.

I'm guessing that I could change

input.pdf to *.pdf
Is that correct?

I remember doing this with batch files in *******, but I am stuck in Linux.

I also don't know what type of file it would have to be.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

gordintoronto
May 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure of the specifics, but you would need to mark the text file as executable. By convention, it would be called something.sh, but that's not mandatory.

AmbientOcclusion
May 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for that.

Adding the .sh extension and making it executable definitely puts it in the right direction.

I still can't figure out a drag and drop solution.

AmbientOcclusion
May 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I created a launcher, and linked it to the script. I enlarged the launcher just to make it easier to see if I was dropping it on top easier.

It appears to work, at least for drag and drop purposes.

The output is an empty pdf called output.pdf

I am wondering if it is my syntax for the input file:

*.pdf
???

Also, the weird thing is that the launcher works only once. If I try to drag and drop another pdf onto it nothing happens.

The only code in the executable script is:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf *.pdf

Hmmm...