PDA

View Full Version : penguin start button

husnos
May 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
edit: see steps below in post #6 for the correct way of creating icons with transparent background - credit to [Sableyes]
================================================== ==========

I changed the xfce start button default icon to a penguin

save the png file of one of these cute-looking penguins

http://www.google.ca/search?q=penguin+png&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=FTG&channel=cs&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pqijT7vpPIyK6QHF6umECQ&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1400&bih=957

then use gimp to autofill the background with the colour of your bar. finally, right click the start button and click on properties and select the penguin file

that's all. no brainer.

mmesantos1
May 8th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Very nice work husnos. :)

husnos
May 9th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Very nice work husnos. :)

thanks. I appreciate it. :)

Sableyes
May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cute :) The filling bit at the end, would it work easier by making the outer parts transparent? Not sure how it works in XFCE... Imagine it should work :)

husnos
May 12th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Cute :) The filling bit at the end, would it work easier by making the outer parts transparent? Not sure how it works in XFCE... Imagine it should work :)

That would be better. I don't know how to do it in gimp. I think I would have to cut out the penguin and place it on top of a transparent layer. Anyway, this is good enough for now.

Sableyes
May 13th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Open up the image in GIMP

Layer Menu > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel

On the main toolbox panel, click Fuzzy Select (its like a little wand, top right of the panel).

Set the Threshold to 50 (that should appear down the bottom of the toolbox panel when you select Fuzzy Select).

Click on any bit you want to go transparent, once its selected, hit delete on your keyboard.

Do that to each bit to remove and you get the below image :)

When you save it, if you save it as a PNG make sure you untick the 'Save Background Colour' box :)

Again, cute penguin, thanks for sharing :)

husnos
May 14th, 2012, 05:41 AM
great. thanks a lot :)

I am going to use the one you made. I will follow the steps next time I change the icon.

Open up the image in GIMP

Layer Menu > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel

On the main toolbox panel, click Fuzzy Select (its like a little wand, top right of the panel).

Set the Threshold to 50 (that should appear down the bottom of the toolbox panel when you select Fuzzy Select).

Click on any bit you want to go transparent, once its selected, hit delete on your keyboard.

Do that to each bit to remove and you get the below image :)

When you save it, if you save it as a PNG make sure you untick the 'Save Background Colour' box :)

Again, cute penguin, thanks for sharing :)