PDA

View Full Version : Unusual new computer display at warehouse store

papibe
May 4th, 2012, 01:30 AM
So, I went to this warehouse store the other day. In my way to the computer aisle, I saw this corner display showing a all-in-one computer.

As I was getting closer, something called my attention: text mode on blue background.

Is it running a terminal session?
Maybe a minecraft server?
Is it running DOS?

Nope, it was just a BSOD.

Thought it was funny.
Kind Regards.

zombifier25
May 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM
That's gonna be embarassing.

|{urse
May 4th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Lol nice. I'd be all "Can I buy the display model at a serious discount?" probably needs just needs a driver reinstalled 0x0000003b and apparently the poor thing has mcafee installed on it.

OpenSourceRules
May 4th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Can I just kick Windows out and install whatever Linux version to fit it?

mamamia88
May 4th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Display models always get treated like crap. You would never make a descion based on the floor model at best buy because half the time it's broken.

sammiev
May 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I never had a BSOD in Windows before. I love my Linux however. :)

wolfen69
May 4th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I never had a BSOD in Windows before. I love my Linux however. :)
I've had a few bsod's. But that's not the reason I stopped using windows.

KiwiNZ
May 4th, 2012, 05:40 AM
oops

Erik1984
May 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
LOL I thought BSODs were a thing of the past. That display model runs Windows 7 I guess?

zombifier25
May 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
My last BSoD was a couple of days ago, when I went back to Windows to do some Microsoft Word (LibreOffice Math has some errors, darn) While I was halfway through, a BSoD showed up (NVIDIA-related issues I think).

If Microsoft Word didn't have autosave then <CENSORED>

KiwiNZ
May 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
snip

It does, with regularity

SemiExpert
May 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Display models always get treated like crap. You would never make a descion based on the floor model at best buy because half the time it's broken.

Well, the display models always work at the Apple Store! Now, I know Apple products are made of glass and metal, rather than plastic and more plastic on plastic. I know that Apple products are selling at a higher price point. I know that Apple Store employees are better motivated and compensated. But the display models work. Even at the dirtiest, nastiest Best Buy I've ever seen, the iPad, iPhone and iPod display models are all still working. Now maybe Apple has reps going around to dirty, nasty reselllers making sure the Apple display models work. Apple probably also is very vigilant about display models in Apple Stores.

|{urse
May 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Awww don't pick on Dell, they <3 Ubuntu. Perhaps if they installed it on that nice aio unit instead of spendows..

dmdelorme
May 4th, 2012, 11:47 PM
A few months back i bought a laptop at best buy it would not boot linux... So i returned to the store with the bad computer and a flash stick with Ubuntu 11.10 on it and proceeded to boot all the possible computers i was considering buying. a few would not boot the rest did but what i thought was funny. When they booted up with out the stick they would panic and post a warning message on the screen. WTF i did not write to the drive but it was enough to scare Windows. I wish i had a picture as it was amusing to see. I guess windows knew i was going to wipe it out and i did as soon as i came home.
I bought a Acer Aspire 5755- 9674 it runs Ubuntu 12.04 with no special drivers.

szymon_g
May 4th, 2012, 11:50 PM
oh, BSoD. I have win7 since it was released, I saw no bsod yet :)

blithen
May 4th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I went through mcdonalds the other day to get some ice cream, and the screen that shows your order was Blue screen. I lost my mind. xD

CharlesA
May 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm probably going to poke the bear with this one, but I found it hilarious.

It was taken at San Francisco International.

Oh and the error was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957609.aspx)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 5th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Lol nice. I'd be all "Can I buy the display model at a serious discount?" probably needs just needs a driver reinstalled 0x0000003b and apparently the poor thing has mcafee installed on it.
+1
lets hope it will not boot properly

jespdj
May 5th, 2012, 06:46 AM
LOL I thought BSODs were a thing of the past. That display model runs Windows 7 I guess?
BSoDs are certainly not a thing of the past. My desktop PC, which has Windows 7 in addition to Ubuntu, once in a while crashes with a BSoD. It's probably a bug in a driver, but I don't know which one...

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM

Yes. The BSOD is the result of a known McAfee bug. It has something to do with the VirusScan driver code conflicting with other McAfee products.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM
...That display model runs Windows 7 I guess?

There is a Windows 7 sticker on the computer.

Paddy Landau
May 5th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I never had a BSOD in Windows before.
:shock: So you've never used Windows for more than a few minutes, then?

KiwiNZ
May 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I have not had a BSOD since the 90's

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
i have XP do that about 10% of the times i boot in in virtualbox which is not very often since the only reason to run that is well to... i forget what do i keep that around for???
oh well i have plenty of disk space so it is not hurting anything

sammiev
May 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM

Been using Windows 7 since it was released. The best operating system they released. Three laptops and one desktop with no problems. :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 5th, 2012, 10:54 PM

That is a bit of an exaggeration me thinks. :)

Bandit
May 6th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I have not had a BSOD since the 90's
Last BSOD I had was with Win2000, I had a hard drive go down. But other then that I dont rememeber getting one on XP, Vista or 7.

You and I are prob more anal when it comes to keeping a PCs more stable over performance upgrades that could be flakey.

kio_http
May 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Most BSOD's that I had with NT based OS's were due to faults with drivers, configuration or hardware not due to Windows itself. Win 9x however was notorious for BSOD. (Though still mainly due to bad drivers etc).

In fact (according to me) the reason people got trouble with Windows ME was mainly due to bad drivers (more effort to make drivers in (9x / ME than NT which is why there are less problems now) and using drivers for 98 on ME.

CharlesA
May 6th, 2012, 02:38 PM
You and I are prob more anal when it comes to keeping a PCs more stable over performance upgrades that could be flakey.

Count me in too. I'll go for stability over bleeding edge any day.

samkostka
May 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I have never had a bluescreen in my windows time, which is amazing since I used ME until XP came out, and I hack mine to make them cooler. I have, however, managed to brick the same mac twice. I have had no problem in linux though.

|{urse
May 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
If anyone wants to re-live the utter coolness (sarcasm meter: on) of a BSOD (I see them every day at the shop) you can easily get one by trying to use dell's wintoflash (xp usb installer) lol. I love how no-one has yet been able to create a solid, easy to use xp usb installer. They all 0x7b unless you muck about with pe and several other things.

This is the only thing that has worked for me ever, once. Useful if you have to install on a laptop with some weird sata or raid driver requirement and no usb or onboard cd/dvd-rom or external floppy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overcome-bsod-0x000000-b-when-installing-xp-via-usb.134933/

CharlesA
May 9th, 2012, 05:11 PM
If anyone wants to re-live the utter coolness (sarcasm meter: on) of a BSOD (I see them every day at the shop) you can easily get one by trying to use dell's wintoflash (xp usb installer) lol. I love how no-one has yet been able to create a solid, easy to use xp usb installer. They all 0x7b unless you muck about with pe and several other things.

This is the only thing that has worked for me ever, once. Useful if you have to install on a laptop with some weird sata or raid driver requirement and no usb or onboard cd/dvd-rom or external floppy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overcome-bsod-0x000000-b-when-installing-xp-via-usb.134933/
Ye ole "inaccessible boot device"

I'm so glad I haven't have to deal with USB XP installs outside of one time (which failed miserably)