PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 will not resume from suspend or hibernate

deport
May 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
12.04 runs fine. I can shutdown. Power up, or do a Restart. However, all forms of hibernate and suspend don't work. Both if I invoke it manually from the power button menu, or if it powers off on its own after no input. The screen goes black. The mouse seems to be ignored, but if I press a key, it might try to come out of sleep, I see drive activity for a moment, but nothing on screen. I think that sometimes I see a faint brief change in brightness of the LCD screen, as if the backlight came on for an instant. I don't know if it is an ACPI issue or a graphics card issue. I tried some different wake settings in the BIOS. I've got a VIA motherboard with built in VGA graphics card. Here is the detail: Integrated VIA Chrome9™ HC IGP Specification DirectX® 9.0 engine Pixel Shader 2.0 Dual pixel pipelines 128-bit 2D/3D engine 250MHz engine clock speed I did no special install of VIA drivers, just what the default .iso installed for 12.04 Any ideas on what to try?

2ta8gdfte
May 3rd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Is your swap at the least equal to the ram amount? This is important for the hibernate at the least.

deport
May 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
I never set a swap file size, so it's whatever is the default. Wouldn't Ubuntu set one big enough? I'll poke around and see if I can find where it is set.

2ta8gdfte
May 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
I never set a swap file size, so it's whatever is the default. Wouldn't Ubuntu set one big enough? I'll poke around and see if I can find where it is set.

The disk utility will show the size, you can install gparted as well to see what is up. Apparently just called disk in Precise.

deport
May 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM
The disk utility will show the size, you can install gparted as well to see what is up. Apparently just called disk in Precise.

OK, the swap partition. Yeah, it's more than the RAM. It's 4G which is = to the RAM, but the graphics card take 256K as set in the bios.

deport
May 3rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Some more info, I set the screen to turn off after 1 minute in "Brightness and Lock" and the screen goes blank as expected, but the system recovers fine if the mouse is moved.

2ta8gdfte
May 3rd, 2012, 10:47 PM
OK, the swap partition. Yeah, it's more than the RAM. It's 4G which is = to the RAM, but the graphics card take 256K as set in the bios.

Not sure if it is the case here but some computers will not do suspend and or hibernate. I would post the actual computer here and model and any hardware info as well, and also use that info, the model..etc, to look on the web for these sort of problems.

deport
May 3rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
It used to suspend in win xp without a problem. It is an IBM 4838-720 AMD Turion X2 VIA chipset

2ta8gdfte
May 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM
It used to suspend in win xp without a problem. It is an IBM 4838-720 AMD Turion X2 VIA chipset

XP is not Ubuntu, If one works it means nothing as far as the other running similar things or much of anything in the overall picture.

deport
May 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM
XP is not Ubuntu, If one works it means nothing as far as the other running similar things or much of anything in the overall picture.

Yes. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just thought it might have a bearing on the hardware working.

DragonNinja9
May 4th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I have the exact same issue. I could not find any help or fix anywhere. I have reported my bug to Ubuntu developers and canonical.
Here is the link:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/989674
Follow this thread in the meantime for possible fixes/support.

Meanwhile do what I do to resume from suspend mode:
Hit Ctrl + Alt + F6 to bring up a Ttyl console, then just hit Ctrl + Alt + F7 to reload the GUI. That should fix it temporarily until the bug is fixed in the next kernel hopefully.

Hope that helps!

deport
May 4th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks Dragon,
I'm watching both threads now.

Actually, the ^Alt F6 and ^Alt F7 trick didn't work for me. This is with a 12.04 install

Thanks for letting us know about the other thread.