PDA

View Full Version : [Q] Which Tablet?

shrumhead
May 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
I find myself pulling out my laptop less and less now that I have my new Samsung Galaxy Nexus (phone). I don't mind reading short articles on my phone but its simply too small for reading long articles, magazines, and/or books for any extended period of time.

For those reasons and because my kindle 3g just broke, I'm looking to pick up a tablet.

I should specify, ANDROID tablet. I have absolutely no intention of even considering an ipad. Had one in the past and it was so LIMITED compared to what my then HTC EVO 4G (phone) could do that I returned it after less than a month.

I really don't need the top of the line, newest and best tablet on the market, but I would like something that will hold up for at least a year. Doesn't need much internal space as I'll be streaming all my media (music/movies) content to it. Of course, it will need to be able to play my HD movies, but 90% of the time will be working on Dropbox, browsing the intrawebz, and reading books/magazines.

I'm looking around the $300-$400 range though I MIGHT consider going a little higher if there is a really good reason to. Right now I'm looking at the Motorola Xoom (especially because google bought Motorola), the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and the Sony Tab S....

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions as to what I should look at or keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance :)

kaldor
May 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
Galaxy Tab 10.1 owner here. I love it and use it every day. I only use the desktop/laptop when I do things a tablet is incapable of doing (Gaming, typing over long periods, typical PC stuff).

The hardware is awesome. I just hate Samsung for using Touchwiz and being super slow with the ICS update. Meanwhile, the Cyanogenmod 9 ROM works extremely well with this tablet apart from the camera.

Works like crap when trying to connect it to my Ubuntu PC, though. There's a workaround but I haven't gotten into it yet. I just scp my stuff back and fourth when needed. Because I'm a nerd.

Overall you can't really go wrong with this tablet. Though right now, I think a Transformer Prime would be a much better option.

mamamia88
May 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Too Late to return the phone for the galaxy note? Also download an app called greader which is for reading rss feeds. It formats the article so that you don't have to scroll left or right to read the article. Maybe get a regular eink kindle if all you want to do is read articles? I have the kindle keyboard and it's great for reading and the battery will last forever compared to a tablet. They are like $80 with special offers and walmart is even offering a $30 gift card this week. Guy above me did you root it? That should solve your problems. On a side note how do you think a galaxy tab 7 would compare to my kindle for reading with a matte screen protector or something on it?

SemiExpert
May 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Well, there's the upcoming Google Nexus tablet? Having seen all current offerings, I've concluded that there really isn't a single Android tablet that I'd consider owning, for any price. Of course, if you liked the form factor of the iPad you owned, you can always try this Lenovo offering: https://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideapad/s2109/ Personally, I'm no longer very hopeful about Android tablets, even ones that appear to use first/second generation iPad screens.