PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My 12.04 Install Failed

Otto-C
May 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Burned 12.04 to DVD. Md5sum matched.
Booted machine w/DVD. After a few minutes
it froze. Showed 'Ubuntu and 5 red dots'.

The machine is Dell B130 laptop.
1gb ram, 40 gb hdd.

Have been installing Ubuntu since
Dapper Drake with no problems.

May try alternate cd later.

IHeequ5i
May 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
I think you can use the ESC key to clear the splash screen and see what's going on.

Dodeca
May 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
I find my 12.04 install failed ALSO !!!

FEEL YOUR PAIN !!

sorry ... no advise .

malegria
May 4th, 2012, 12:46 AM
@Otto C.

I had the same issue with the exact same machine (Dell B130). Here is what I did. I am basically copying part of these instructions from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11883375&postcount=6

1. Boot to the live CD/USB
2. When the screen comes up showing the accessibility icon (little stick man and keyboard at the bottom of the screen), press any key
3. Pick your language, press enter
4. Press F6, this will launch a dialogue
5. Press esc to get rid of the dialogue
6. You should now have a cursor from which you can enter commands below the boot options: Type Quote:
b43.blacklist=yes
making sure there is a space before and after the text you enter.
7. Press enter to either 'Try Ubuntu without installing' or 'Install Ubuntu'

In the case of the former, above, your instance of the live session should now work.

Now you should be able to install Ubuntu but you will still need to install b43 onto your system so that you can boot normally and use your wireless. To do this you have to boot to your system to do the install, but before that will work you once again have to blacklist b43 in the boot process. Here are the instructions.

1. Boot to the grub screen. If grub doesn't load automatically press, and hold, the Shift key after the BIOS screen (the screen mentioning your machine's manufacturer) disappears.
2. At the grub screen (the purple screen which lets you choose the instance of the kernel you want) press 'e', this will bring up a screen of text.
3. Using the arrow keys, navigate to the line which ends with "vt.handoff" or something similar. At the end of that line enter Quote:
b43.blacklist=yes
again making sure to leave spaces before and after.
4. Press F10

This should boot you to your install, but your wireless won't be working. To fix this we have to install b43

1. First connect your machine with a cable to your router/modem.
2. Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t or hit the 'super-key' (the one with the windows logo on it) and type 'terminal' and press enter).
3. Enter Quote:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
4. Enter your password (note your keystrokes won't register) and hit enter

Now b43 should install, your wireless should work and you should be able to boot without any problems. This worked for me! Hope it works for you too!

deonis
May 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM
have the same problem with 12.04 and Samsung netbook 145. One advise, with your computer I would not even try to install Unity, unusable. Gnome shell or Gnome 2 will be better.

FoZFoRiC
May 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
@Otto C.

I had the same issue with the exact same machine (Dell B130). Here is what I did. I am basically copying part of these instructions from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11883375&postcount=6

This worked for me! Hope it works for you too!

Apparently the Win wubi or network install wubi doesn't have the same feature in "accessibility" because all I get is visibility options and F6 does nothing.

Otto-C
May 6th, 2012, 12:33 AM
malegria's post in post # 4 worked perfectly for me.
Thank you for your work customizing the info in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=6
for the B130.

Mark this item solved