PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Wubi for win notes, docs, discussion?

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I don't really want to suggest adding new support categories to a forum as there are usually way too many to begin with, but is there any discussion about the (apparently new) wubi win installer?

I had a question as to whether it would just decide which flavor (32 or 64bit) of ubuntu to install. I had thought my older laptop was a 32bit processor but turns out its a 64bit with a 32 bit OS. I had downloaded the 32bit cd but the cd drive in it went out and I decided to use the windows installer of wubi. then I found out my laptop was 64bit and do not remember it asking me if i wanted 32 or 64. (i am also having install problems and can't load it up and look into the system to see so no use in directing me to some sysinfo screen in the OS, hmmm I am now wondering if this may contributing to my install problems)

(QUESTION) so does the installer decide on 32bit or 64 bit on its own?

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
This is a good guide for Wubi.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

Why is the AMD64 version of Ubuntu being downloaded and installed?

The machine you are trying to install Ubuntu on may be 64 bit. The AMD64 installation is appropriate for all 64 bit architectures, no matter if they are AMD or Intel.

Can I force Wubi to download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu?

Yes: either pre-download the appropriate 32 bit ISO manually and place it in the same folder as Wubi.exe or start Wubi with the "--32bit" argument.

I found no way to choose 32bit here unless I chose an older version of ubuntu or used the iso copy as suggested below.