PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi Win Prefetch LAN and/or WLAN install

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Wubi Win Prefetch LAN and/or WLAN
Ubuntu desktop 12.04 (several install paths tried)

I have a second laptop that the cd/dvd drive has gone out on and does not support boot from USB stick. I decided to try the windows installer for wubi, but after restart it has hung up in so many points I am unsure just what is going on.
I think it is because it has to install the broadcom WLAN drivers from remote, but there is no way for it to connect. The laptop has a LAN connection as well (and all of the hardware still works on the winOS on the laptop) but I can not tell if wubi can find the LAN as the install and/or recovery boot options tell me to handle the broadcom issues and then hangs instead of allowing me to work on the LAN issues.
As I said this has hung in so many places its spinning my head, the only repeating instance is the broadcom drivers which I understand how I am supposed to fix that but can't because i can not get through enough to resolve the LAN issues.

(QUESTION) Is there a way to have the windows installer portion of wubi prefetch the LAN or WLAN drivers? (OR) can I access the ubunti files from windows and have it compile needed files on startup of ubuntu? (which sounds like a security risk if its possible, that is why I haven't already tried it)

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
Quoting from the wubi wiki guide:

"How do I install Wubi on a machine with no Internet connection?

Wubi also works with physical Ubuntu Desktop Live CDs. Wubi.exe is available in the root folder of the CD.
If you do not have a CD, try to find a computer with Internet access, and download both Wubi.exe and the required Desktop ISO from the same location (the release has to match):

Copy both files into the same folder on the machine with no Internet access and run the Wubi executable. "

This doesn't work since the braodcom drivers have to be accessed after install because they can not be included in the package. Just trying to further Illustrate what my problem is.

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Do you use a router? If you can plug ethernet wires directly to both laptops during the install, it would work.

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Do you use a router? If you can plug ethernet wires directly to both laptops during the install, it would work.

huh? are you suggesting setting up my 1st laptop as a file server?

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
No, a wired lan is stronger than a wireless and the drivers are there. Go wireless again after the install is done.

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
No, a wired lan is stronger than a wireless and the drivers are there. Go wireless again after the install is done.

yea, that is what I am trying to do. but it hangs trying to tell me to resolve the broadcom issues and I can not get it to find/ install the wired LAN adapter and proceed.

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
It would make so much more sense if in this step;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=wubi-123.png

It would allow you to set up your LAN specific and/or WLAN specific hardware drivers and protocols.

but instead, "there is no three"

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
8.04 is too old and you won't be able to get updates easily even if it was installed directly to a HD. I suggest 10.04.
Wubi is installed directly into Windows and uses its drivers. I wouldn't think you'd have to install lan drivers. Installing Wubi remotely though is something I haven't done.

I still believe if both machines were wired there shouldn't be a problem with lan drivers. You would simply copy the files over to the target machine and install the OS.

You do have the windows machines already set up as a lan/wlan network don't you?
Of course you do or you couldn't have copied the files over--sorry, just thinking out loud.

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
A thought..Are you trying to install from the machine that has internet? Or did you MOVE the wubi file to the target and trying to install it there?

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
im using 12.04 desktop, that graphic is just from the wubi guide (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide)

everything is setup on and running fine as windows computers/networks are concerned.

I don't see any indication that wubi uses anything from the windows OS portion of its install. if it does, I am now wondering if it somehow captured the settings from a VPN that appears first in my list of network connections in windows. Wonder how it determines which network adapter is the one it will use during any get processes during the install.
All this wondering is just making me think they need to allow you to review the LAN settings in the initial setup before reboot.

I guess I need to just ask 'how do you install a LAN network adapter from the recovery console'. because that is the only command line I can get to.

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
Wubi is a Windows app. Like Word. It is installed inside windows on a small section of the Windows partition and uses the same hardware.
If you have the iso (moved over from the other machine) on the machine, why not just install that without using Wubi? Using the ethernet wire and the copy of the iso will let you install on its own partition without worrying about the lan.

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
QUESTION) Is there a way to have the windows installer portion of wubi prefetch the LAN or WLAN drivers? (OR) can I access the ubunti files from windows and have it compile needed files on startup of ubuntu? (which sounds like a security risk if its possible, that is why I haven't already tried it)

I really don't understand why you'd need the lan drivers at this point if the lan network is already set up. OS's are added to a home network after installing if the user chooses to do so. At least mine are.

I have lots of iso's on one computer and when I want one, I use my lan network to choose one to move and install on another machine.

This is a new issue for me and I hope to learn from it. :KS

FoZFoRiC
May 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
Wubi is a Windows app. Like Word. It is installed inside windows on a small section of the Windows partition and uses the same hardware.
If you have the iso (moved over from the other machine) on the machine, why not just install that without using Wubi? Using the ethernet wire and the copy of the iso will let you install on its own partition without worrying about the lan.

Well, first off, the wubi on the iso just tells you to reboot and run from the cd. which won't happen because the cd drive doesn't work.
Then, just because a program is installed on windows doesn't mean it can access the hardware, that's what drivers are for.
Also the wubi that you download separately (and is the only wubi that installs on windows) is different from the one on the iso. The wubi guide does say place the iso in the same directory as the net wubi, but it doesn't install the WLAN adapters specifically because broadcom won't let them put them in the package (but it should still be acceptable for wubi to run the b43-fwcutter before restart but it doesn't).
I don't think it does any setup before restart other than setting an account and downloading the remaining files from the iso because of this.
I keep mentioning the WLAN ONLY because the system hangs telling me to go to a website (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43) to fix it and then I cant work on the LAN problem any more.
I am still trying to get the LAN to work from the recovery console

critin
May 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well, first off, the wubi on the iso just tells you to reboot and run from the cd. which won't happen because the cd drive doesn't work.

Yes, my mistake. I knew that and forgot, sorry.

FoZFoRiC
May 4th, 2012, 01:26 AM
ugh, why doesn't the win wubi have this accessibility feature?

Quote:
1. Boot to the live CD/USB
2. When the screen comes up showing the accessibility icon (little stick man and keyboard at the bottom of the screen), press any key
3. Pick your language, press enter
4. Press F6, this will launch a dialogue
5. Press esc to get rid of the dialogue
6. You should now have a cursor from which you can enter commands below the boot options: Type Quote:
b43.blacklist=yes
making sure there is a space before and after the text you enter.
7. Press enter to either 'Try Ubuntu without installing' or 'Install Ubuntu'

FoZFoRiC
May 4th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Well this link someone at askubuntu helps. just figuring out whether I can just swap NOMODESET for b43.blacklist=yes or if I have to format it as a command

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10089820&postcount=8

FoZFoRiC
May 4th, 2012, 02:52 AM
well here goes nothing, started the whole thing over and added the blacklist line in the wubildr-disk.cfg

Apparently this appeared on someone's blog or something, but it doesn't reference the cfg i edited

http://linux-software-news-tutorials.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/installing-ubuntu-1204-crashes-because.html

FoZFoRiC
May 4th, 2012, 03:11 AM
damn, nothing .... locked up even faster with some kind of kernel panic...

kernel panic not syncing vfs not able to mount root
then 10 lines of something and
locks up on kernel thread help

or something like that...

SCUMBAG BROADCOM

FoZFoRiC
May 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
That's it. I'm done. I went ahead and tried everything on my 3rd laptop that is identical to the 2nd and couldn't get it to work at all.
Even tried the natty narwhal 11.10 that is packaged as ultimate edition, because I couldn't find the previous release on Ubuntu's site, and that had all the same issues.
I'm just going to put these laptops on the incompatible hardware list.
Funny thing though, linuxmint runs like a charm.