PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else can't leave well enough alone?

mamamia88
May 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I love linux but because there is so much choice I just can't leave well enough alone. I get debian xfce running great and then I think to myself "maybe I should dualboot with xubuntu and remove all the crap I don't want to see what is faster". Then I decide maybe I should just upgrade to testing or sid. Part of me still wants to try an arch install from the ground up. Is anyone else like me who can't leave well enough alone?

wolfen69
May 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Nah, those days are over for me. I've installed countless distros and DE's in the past, and have had my fill. I may occasionally fire up Vbox to try something new, but other than that I have no desire to use anything else than what is on my laptop. (12.04 Unity) But if that's your thing, go for it.

georgelappies
May 3rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
I love linux but because there is so much choice I just can't leave well enough alone. I get debian xfce running great and then I think to myself "maybe I should dualboot with xubuntu and remove all the crap I don't want to see what is faster". Then I decide maybe I should just upgrade to testing or sid. Part of me still wants to try an arch install from the ground up. Is anyone else like me who can't leave well enough alone?

lol, completely understand your dilemma :) There has to be some other combo or distro faster, shinier and smoother then the one currently installed. Maybe I should test Mint? What about Fedora with gnome shell? No let me install Chakra those screenshots looked awesome!

Copper Bezel
May 3rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
I do that, but within a standard Ubuntu install. I recently got the list of Shell extensions I can't live without down to eight, there are little tweaks and adjustments scattered through the Metacity, GTK, and Shell themes I use, I have a set of a few core apps that I use on a daily basis that I constantly switch out, I copy .desktop files to my user account and modify them to run apps under the conditions I want as default, and I generally waste hours to save a few seconds here and there.

There's so much weird crap in my dotfiles that using anything like a default install is alien to me.

2ta8gdfte
May 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Arch is a easy install using the beginners guide, worth trying I think, was for me, it is a nice OS.

kelvin spratt
May 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Arch is a easy install using the beginners guide, worth trying I think, was for me, it is a nice OS.
yes its easy to install.

Mmmbopdowedop
May 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
I don't understand why if you have Debian XFCE4 running `great` as you say; that you would feel the need to try bloated Xubuntu?

Obviously Xubuntu's slower, it doesn't make much sense.

I run Debian with XFCE4; it can't possibly be any faster, everything's instant and works great.

The question why to try Xubuntu is mind-boggling.

Dry Lips
May 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
lol, completely understand your dilemma :) There has to be some other combo or distro faster, shinier and smoother then the one currently installed. Maybe I should test Mint? What about Fedora with gnome shell? No let me install Chakra those screenshots looked awesome!

Well, yeah, Chakra is nice! ;)

Erik1984
May 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
*Raises hand* Well maybe not so extreme, I stay inside the Debian world and actually inside the Ubuntu world for my own machine. Since going *buntu (nearly) fulltime I switched between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and back and even made a strange move from 11.04 to 10.04 Just because Lucid Lynx has some strange appeal :P Never used the same version and DE for more than 6 months. And within the installation I find it hard to leave the theming alone. Switching themes for various stuff is so easy in KDE.

mamamia88
May 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
I don't understand why if you have Debian XFCE4 running `great` as you say; that you would feel the need to try bloated Xubuntu?

Obviously Xubuntu's slower, it doesn't make much sense.

I run Debian with XFCE4; it can't possibly be any faster, everything's instant and works great.

The question why to try Xubuntu is mind-boggling.

xfce 4.10 without running sid. I guess i'll just wait for it to come out. I figured ubuntu and debian would be virtually the same if i followed this guide http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

OpenSourceRules
May 4th, 2012, 03:53 AM
xfce 4.10 without running sid. I guess i'll just wait for it to come out. I figured ubuntu and debian would be virtually the same if i followed this guide http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

I have tried a few distros as well; now the time of distro testing is gone (at least for the moment).

smellyman
May 4th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I am passed that stage.

Everytime I moved away from arch I get ticked off when I can get all the software I need or updates etc. without doing ppa's, building sources or basically jumping thourgh hoops. between the Arch repos and AUR I never have to stray.

mamamia88
May 4th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I am passed that stage.

Everytime I moved away from arch I get ticked off when I can get all the software I need or updates etc. without doing ppa's, building sources or basically jumping thourgh hoops. between the Arch repos and AUR I never have to stray.if you don't mind me asking how is a ppa jumping through hoops? i looked up the AUR and it looks pretty foolproof but ppas are easy too. I prefer debian based distros because i started with ubuntu and i'm just comfortable with it. I'm sure i could get arch running with the help of the user guide i'm just not sure if the end result would be worth it.

smellyman
May 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
if you don't mind me asking how is a ppa jumping through hoops? i looked up the AUR and it looks pretty foolproof but ppas are easy too. I prefer debian based distros because i started with ubuntu and i'm just comfortable with it. I'm sure i could get arch running with the help of the user guide i'm just not sure if the end result would be worth it.

yeah PPA's are easy, but they can be unwieldy when you get too many and I need a lot. It would be nice if it was more central like the AUR and you didn't have to hunt for ppa's and hope they all work.

Edit: and I also didn't mean ppa's are like jumping through hoops. I meant when there aren't ppa's it gets more difficult, then you might find more hoops. :)

wolfen69
May 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I am passed that stage.

Everytime I moved away from arch I get ticked off when I can get all the software I need or updates etc. without doing ppa's, building sources or basically jumping thourgh hoops. between the Arch repos and AUR I never have to stray.

You said your piece, but there's no conclusion.

Gremlinzzz
May 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hi,my name is Gremlinzzz and i can't leave well enough alone:popcorn:

BrokenKingpin
May 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Nah, those days are over for me.
++

I install Xubuntu and be done with it. I have one spare box I test an alternative distro in once in a while (Kubuntu or whatever), but that is it and it is not that often.

mamamia88
May 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
yeah PPA's are easy, but they can be unwieldy when you get too many and I need a lot. It would be nice if it was more central like the AUR and you didn't have to hunt for ppa's and hope they all work.

Edit: and I also didn't mean ppa's are like jumping through hoops. I meant when there aren't ppa's it gets more difficult, then you might find more hoops. :)

and what happens when something isn't in the aur. is it easy to install then? i figure with ubuntus user base if it isn't in the Debian repos i can try to dig up a deb file on launchpad. seems like any time you google for a linux solution you are more than likely directed to a thread on these boards. Then again I'm running a netbook so the only real software i install is chrome, gpodder, and vlc. i guess pretty much any distro would work. i also don't have problem with older software as long as it gets the job and doesn't have any game breaking bugs for me.

smellyman
May 5th, 2012, 01:42 AM
and what happens when something isn't in the aur. is it easy to install then? i figure with ubuntus user base if it isn't in the Debian repos i can try to dig up a deb file on launchpad. seems like any time you google for a linux solution you are more than likely directed to a thread on these boards. Then again I'm running a netbook so the only real software i install is chrome, gpodder, and vlc. i guess pretty much any distro would work. i also don't have problem with older software as long as it gets the job and doesn't have any game breaking bugs for me.

That hasn't happened to me so far that I can think of. Ubuntu repos are huge and a big reason I am a fan of Ubuntu/Arch, other distros just don't quite compare in that regard.

It is mostly that the Ubuntu repo may not be up to date and I want the updated software.

This is all just my opinion. I like Ubuntu a lot.....I just like arch and my updates!

Zukaro
May 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I used to try out a few different distro's. I mainly stayed around Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Arch Linux. I tried to get Debian running (and for some reason couldn't) and I'm not sure what else I've tried.

The reason I'm still using Ubuntu rather than the other ones is because I find Ubuntu to be perfect (I also find Arch Linux to be perfect, but I'd rather not have to build my own OS then run into tons of troubles (although I may try sometime)). A lot of the time in other distro's there's small stuff that bugs me, like part of the UI doesn't fit the rest of the UI or a popup is blurry (such as the volume popup when you increase or decrease the volume). Or part of the UI plain doesn't work. I've found Ubuntu doesn't have any of these issues, so I like it (of course, Arch Linux doesn't either, but I don't want to mess around with that right now (I probably will some day)).

The reason I had even tried out other distro's is because at the time Ubuntu was going to Unity, which I didn't like then (as it felt too imperfect at the time) but now that Unity is good and I'm used to it I actually like it. However, if the HUD ever completely replaces menu's (like, 100% and there are no more menu's) then I wont like it anymore. I would have stuck with 10.10, but it was buggy on my netbook for some reason. I'll probably stick with 12.04 however.

What I think will happen if the HUD ever fully replaces menu's is 13.04 and 13.10 will have the HUD replace the menu's, and then 14.04 will still be this way, but there will be an option to bring the menu's back (sort of how it is in 12.04 with Gnome2/Gnome Classic).

Bandit
May 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I dont distro hop anymore these days. Got to used to Ubuntu that everything else tends to take longer then it should to get used to.

I spend my time now learning some scripts, messing with conky and just shooting the bull here in the forums. :lolflag: