PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Choosing a hardware RAID controller. Help appreciated.

Saorex
May 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hello. I would like to buy a hardware RAID controller to which I'll connect two identical 1TB disks (can't remember the exact model). I'm going for RAID 1 as my first priority is to never lose any data saved on these disks. I tried to make a fakeRAID earlier this week, but it stopped working after a kernel (I think) update. Now my PC randomly boots on a disk or another.

I have very little experience with RAID, and this is why I need some help. I'll install Ubuntu 12.04.

Are there hardware RAID controllers that work better with Ubuntu than others?
What would be your first pick?

Thanks a lot for any piece of advice you might have.

nakedLefty
May 4th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Hi Saorex,

From what little I know about RAID'ing, you probably should be fine with just about any hardware solution, though, and anyone should feel free to correct me, Promise have always had a good reputation in this area.

That said, I don't think you have to explicitly get a Promise board, just one with a Promise chip.

I think this should have you covered. And again, if anyone feels I am wrong, please do correct me :)

/nL

Saorex
October 11th, 2012, 01:44 AM
For those who would like to know, I finally bought a Marvel 88se91xx in a local store a couple of days after opening this thread. I installed Ubuntu 12.04, and it's been running perfectly since that day.

I think I paid around $25, and it saved me a lot of configuration time, and now I'm sure I have a reliable RAID setup.

I hope it helps someone in the future.