PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Corrupt video in livecd

beatme101
May 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
A search for corrupt video revealed "sorry, no matches". Google was similarly unhelpful.

I have tried a kubuntu livecd and xubuntu livecd. Pretty sure they are the same version, but they won't tell me which that is. Nothing during the start up sequence says it. Whatever it is, it's not older than 10.10. It might be 11.04 for both.

After it 'finishes' loading, that is, the loading goes on and on and then the splash screen goes away, the disc delivers this screen to me:

http://hurr.org/IMG_20120502_142154.jpg
(corrupted white and black block graphics with various colourings of pixels inside them)

Just as in the "menu" before the splash screen, the keyboard does nothing.

That machine is the only one in the house with a CD or DVD burner so I can't get a newer Live CD. I am posting from an old laptop. Is there anything I can do to make these discs work? Or will I have to visit someone else's house and use their burner? Do the latest versions have proper USB keyboard support?

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
GeForce GT 240
Wired USB keyboard
A new, blank 2TB hard drive to replace the previous drive, a now dead 1 TB drive.

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 2nd, 2012, 10:26 PM
Try the ALT CD, you can just install with it, and no heavyweight graphics required. Also burn at slow speed ( @ 4x) if you feel it may be your burner that is causing problems. With a blank disk, you have little to lose...

beatme101
May 2nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
I think I've actually just got it working.

Got around the video issue by removing my video card and using onboard video.
Got around the keyboard issue by using a PS/2 keyboard.

It's installing now, so hopefully when I can boot from the HDD and update it everything will be fine.

It's things like this that make me glad I always buy motherboards with onboard video. Frustration over, I hope. Thanks for your time.

Jose Catre-Vandis
May 3rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Well done :)