PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to go up to to 64 bit?

raysa
May 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
I installed 32-bit ubuntu 12.04 on a new computer and have just got everything as I want it, and have now realised that the computer is 64-bit.

Seems a shame not use the computer's full capability - would it be easy to move up to 64-bit ubuntu? And is it worth it?

Thanks

collisionystm
May 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I installed 32-bit ubuntu 12.04 on a new computer and have just got everything as I want it, and have now realised that the computer is 64-bit.

Seems a shame not use the computer's full capability - would it be easy to move up to 64-bit ubuntu? And is it worth it?

Thanks

You have to do a re-install

If the computer is fine, leave it. At this point it only matters how much RAM you have. If you have 6gb of ram or higher, i would say re-install so you can use it. 4GB and below I wouldnt worry about.

HOWEVER, if the inner geek in you wants to use 64 bit, backup your stuff... grab a beer and have at it.

jadtech
May 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
hehe back up and reinstall could be a 12 beer process I would recommend --beer might help the process get done and help save a new computer from being tossed out the window ..

raysa
May 2nd, 2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks chaps. The inner geek in me is nagging, and I have 6GB RAM, so it looks as if a re-instal is on the cards.

What's the neatest way of achieving this? Just download the 64-bit distro and have it replace the existing 32-bit version?

oldfred
May 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
It is a clean install.

If you have data and settings that you want to save, backup /home as all your data & settings are in it, some in hidden (starts with . ) files & folders.

If you have installed a lot of programs you can export a list of apps and easily reinstall from the list. If just a few you can manually do it.

If you had to make special system wide settings, they would be in /etc, and you may want to back that up.

If you have a separate /home the process is a lot easier, so you may want to create that now as part of your reinstall.

My backup process is to recover my data and just do a new clean install, so my back up tries to save all the important data.

Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541

Install with separate /home from aysiu
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome

rmeringenti
May 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, make sure to do a clean install, you don't want to run over the existing area of the disk of with a 64 bit version, because... that would be redundant. Anyway good luck!

raysa
May 3rd, 2012, 07:44 PM
Very useful backup info, oldfred.
Thanks to all - I'm now wizzing along at 64 bit!
:)