PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu/Ubuntu 2D Login Displays All White Desktop, No Unity Icons

svtguy88
May 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
I did a quick search for my problem, but didn't see much. The box I'm referring to has been running the development version of Precise since the first Alpha. It's been updated every few days all along the way.

Everything works reasonably well, except I can't use Ubuntu/Ubuntu 2D at all. When I log in with either of those environments, the entire desktop is white (no icons, nothing) and the Unity Launcher appears to be empty (if you hover over it, there are icons there, as the names pop up, but the icons are invisible).

I've been using Gnome Classic as a fallback. Any thoughts?

BTW I'm using nouveau with an NV37GL.

jadtech
May 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I did a quick search for my problem, but didn't see much. The box I'm referring to has been running the development version of Precise since the first Alpha. It's been updated every few days all along the way.

Everything works reasonably well, except I can't use Ubuntu/Ubuntu 2D at all. When I log in with either of those environments, the entire desktop is white (no icons, nothing) and the Unity Launcher appears to be empty (if you hover over it, there are icons there, as the names pop up, but the icons are invisible).

I've been using Gnome Classic as a fallback. Any thoughts?

BTW I'm using nouveau with an NV37GL.

if you have been using the beta of 12.04 all a long and working well, is it possible that in the update manager you have the pre release / proposed updates selected if so it is possible you have moved to 12.10 which is not working well for you ..

svtguy88
May 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Nope...sources.list has only Precise PPA's and then one for Spotify.

I should also note that Gnome Classic runs poorly - I have to use Gnome Classic (no effects). I realize that part of this is due to my slow-ish graphics card (and I am running dual monitors), but I feel like it should have enough power to handle some basic effects, no?