PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing menu bar of windows in 12.04

predato
May 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hello everybody, I'm new to Ubuntu, I installed 12.04. Menu bar of applications and files don't appear till it gets maximized. How can enable menu bar of windows?
Thanks.

billyseth
May 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
What you are seeing is actually a feature, its one of the bigger changes that came with the more recent releases of Ubuntu, and not everyone loves it.

Anyways, whenever a particular window has focus, take your mouse up to that top menu bar, and the menu bar for the focused window should be there.

grahammechanical
May 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I am not sure if I know what you are talking about.

If we open an application and move the mouse pointer to the top panel but on the left side, then the menus for that application will reveal.

Also we can hold down the Super key (Windows key) we get an overlay showing keyboard shortcuts. From that we see that holding down the Alt key will reveal an application's menus.

Also Alt+F10 (letting go of the keys) will highlight the first menu and we can either use the down and up arrows to move through the menu or the left and right arrows to move to other menus.

Regards.

predato
May 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
billyseth thank you for quick reply. Isn't there any way to set it to always visible?

predato
May 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
I am not sure if I know what you are talking about.

If we open an application and move the mouse pointer to the top panel but on the left side, then the menus for that application will reveal.

Also we can hold down the Super key (Windows key) we get an overlay showing keyboard shortcuts. From that we see that holding down the Alt key will reveal an application's menus.

Also Alt+F10 (letting go of the keys) will highlight the first menu and we can either use the down and up arrows to move through the menu or the left and right arrows to move to other menus.

Regards.
In my case it doesn't appear when I move mouse pointer over non-maximized window.
Thanks a lot for post

billyseth
May 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Well to be honest, I am on the list of people who doesn't like it. So I didn't spend a lot of time in looking on how to customize it. But you do have a few options!

The most simple would be to go to your regular system menu, and choose Logout. On the new screen where you select your user, click on the the little circular ubuntu logo that shows up right next to your name. Choose "Gnome Classic" from that menu. Then login like normal, that will give you a more traditional style desktop.

Also, there MIGHT be a way to have the menu bar always visible with the Unity desktop, but I am not aware of how to do that.

predato
May 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
Also, there MIGHT be a way to have the menu bar always visible with the Unity desktop, but I am not aware of how to do that.
Yes, there should be a way to do that. Let's wait some gurus to answer

billyseth
May 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
I found an article that might help you out...

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/unity-global-menu-to-become-optional/

predato
May 2nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
billyseth wow, you know how to search, thank you very much. That article reveals the issue. When will it be applicable?