PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 upgrade stalled at 'Downloading Dropbox'

isaac12345
May 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi all!

My upgrade from 11.10 to 12..04, apart from taking overnight to upgrade, is now stuck on 'Downloading Dropbox......4%'. I have checked the internet connection and its working fine. How do I get around this without cancelling and doing the upgrade all over again? Is there any terminal command that will skip the dropbox download and move on with the other upgrade processes?

Thanks! :)

Peter09
May 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Yes, mine did exactly the same. Use Control C to abort the installer. Then reboot and do a normal update and upgrade. Mine worked fine.

isaac12345
May 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
But that'll quit the whole upgrade which took over 4 hours! Isn't there any way to skip this part of the upgrade?

Peter09
May 2nd, 2012, 06:34 PM
Well on mine, this occurred very near the end, so it did not take too long afterwards to complete.

hardiepienaar
May 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Try using top and kill the dropbox process. Worked for me.

Goodluck,
http://www.hardiepienaar.co.za

jadtech
May 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
usually if you look at the terminal in the back ground you will find a question waiting for an answer yes or no to continue the install that is why if you read the upgrade documentation it recomends doing the upgrade from terminal..

there s a couple of points where the upgrade stops to ask you a question or to remind you service have to stop and restart to continue ..

collisionystm
May 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
open a termina and use

killall dropbox

that will stop it

isaac12345
May 2nd, 2012, 11:55 PM
I tried killing, ending and even continuing the process through the system monitor but it doesnt let me do it. Oddly the CPU usage is 100% but the process has been stuck at the upgrade for more than a day wasting electricity :( . I dont want to ctrl-c it as it warned me that packages and files might get broken. I dont want to go through the incovenience of doing a fresh install again. Also, I cant seem to open the home folder. I clicked a few times but the window never appeared.

Peter09
May 3rd, 2012, 08:20 AM
Weel you've been waiting a day, might as well kill it, and at worst only wait four hours if you need a complete re-install :-)

lodp
May 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I had the same thing here. Just to confirm what ppl wrote above, the distribution upgrade continued after I killed both the nautilus-dropbox and the dropbox process from a terminal (sudo killall nautilus-dropbox dropbox). Just stopping dropbox by clicking on the icon in the tray did NOT do the job.

pasit
June 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
I can confirm that this command

sudo killall nautilus-dropbox dropbox

did the trick to me too. Thanks for lodp.

--
Pasi