PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching between open windows in Unity

ubiquitin.jf
May 2nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure if one of my settings has accidentally been unset or something but double clicking an icon on the launcher in Unity (12.04, fresh install) no longer expo-style displays all the currently open windows of the corresponding program, which is extremely frustrating when switching between open documents. Is this a bug or a feature?

grahammechanical
May 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Single click on the icon does it for me. As also pressing Super and tapping W.

Also Alt+Tab and selecting the application and waiting a little bit. Or Alt+Dead Grave (key above Tab).

Regards.

Bealer
May 15th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Broken for me too, clicking on the icon no longer works. I have to use Super + W

ckop64
May 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You can either use Super + W, or focus the last active window of the application by single clicking on its icon in the launcher, and an other click should display every active window of that application. If your application is already active, than single-clicking on its icon should bring up the expose window selector.

diesch
May 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You need one click if the application is the active window and two clicks (but not a double click) if another application is active.

akj_1989
May 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Ya, we need to double click to open any inactive window.
Lets say I'm working on two word documents/two folders, and need to switch between them and a third window constantly..Its really frustating...
Hope there was some way to see all the open windows right there, like in gnome classic..
Otherwise the new Unity is fantastic :)

diesch
May 19th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Use a keyboard shortcut like Alt-TAB, Alt-<Key-above-TAB>, Suber-<Number> or virtual desktops.

If you want a taskbar tint2 looks quite nice with Unity.

lptr
July 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Installed Compiz configuration settings manager to hopefully reconfiguring this Alt-Tab behaviour. I want to cycle to ANY open windows in unity. Not just those open ones on the current desktop.

Everything I tried to exchange "Key to start switcher" to rehook to "Key to start switcher for all viewports" did fail. The only way to circle through any running program stays using:

<Control><Primary><Alt>Tab
or reverse with
<Shift><Control><Primary><Alt>Tab

When disabling (blanking) "Key to start switcher" and using <Alt>Tab for "Key to start switcher for all viewports" this gets disabled, too.

Anyone found a solution to this?

lptr
July 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Answering myself as this wanted Alt-Tab cycling through any open window magically is working now.

:confused:
Don't know what activated this. The switcher looks somewhat different - if holding alt-key the currently selection gets bigger. Maybe reboot ? ... mumble mumble...