PDA

View Full Version : how to make an application be hud aware

botp
May 2nd, 2012, 03:32 AM
just install ubuntu 12.04 and just luv the hud ...

so my question is:

how could i make my application hud aware?
links of tutorials and simple howto would be great.
thank you and best regards -botp

r-senior
May 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
What do mean by HUD aware?

HUD taps into the menu structures in Gnome as far as I can see and there's nothing special to do in your program. Mine seem to work with the HUD OK.

zombifier25
May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
As long as your software uses GTK+ or Qt (dunno if other toolkits supported, please add), then the HUD will recognize it.

r-senior
May 2nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
wx works OK.

randlieb
May 5th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I can't get HUD to find anything. Had the same probem with the alpha and beta versions. And everything else works fine otherwise. Using a fresh install of 12.04.

For instance I type in firefox and get 4 entries all with 'fire' but does not show the firefox application. Tried gimp, inkscape and a handfull of other installed applications, all a bust! Not that I need this tool, but if it's there, it should work!

rg4w
May 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
As long as your software uses GTK+ or Qt (dunno if other toolkits supported, please add), then the HUD will recognize it.
I use a tool (LiveCode) that doesn't use GTK or Qt for its menus. Is there another way to inform HUD of what my app can do and provide triggers for its commands?

Also, HUD is ideally able to discern things beyond menu names, so I'm assuming there must be some mechanism by which a developer can provide such info to HUD.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

TIA -

randlieb
May 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM
OOOOOPS!!! Sorry! Had come here from a search for HUD and didn't look to see what forum this thread was in. Will post my problem to the appropriate forum topic.

r-senior
May 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I can't get HUD to find anything. Had the same probem with the alpha and beta versions. And everything else works fine otherwise. Using a fresh install of 12.04.

For instance I type in firefox and get 4 entries all with 'fire' but does not show the firefox application. Tried gimp, inkscape and a handfull of other installed applications, all a bust! Not that I need this tool, but if it's there, it should work!
I think you misunderstand the distinction between the Dash and the HUD. The Dash (accessed via the super key or Ubuntu button) is for finding applications. The HUD is for accessing features within open applications via their menus.

So, you'd press the super key (to get the Dash) and type 'firefox' to find Firefox. Once open, you'd press alt (to get the HUD) and type 'pref' to activate the Edit-Preferences menu.