PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows 7 Ubuntu 12.04 dual boot problem

ogoforth
May 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
I currently have Windows 7 64 bit installed. When I install Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot the machine boots directly into windows. No GRUB menu. The OS installs into the partition that the setup creates but I am not given an option to b:mad:oot into that new install.

jadtech
May 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
when you installed did you choose to install grub or did you opt to not install it ???

ogoforth
May 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
I was not given such an option.

thagame
May 2nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
same issue. ubuntu installed but no grub. and there was no option to install grub or dont install grub. Back to gentoo i guess.

oldfred
May 2nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
Do you have more than one drive, or is USB promoted to sda, as grub often just installs to sda. In BIOS you then have to boot from that drive.

To see where everything is installed post the link to Boot-Info from this:
Boot Repair:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
You can repair many boot issues with this or Create BootInfo report & post the link to a run of boot info script so we can see your exact configuration.

@thagame
If you want to post your boot info please start a new thread as two different reports starts to get confusing.

cgaie
May 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM
The same here with Windows 7 64bit.

I was not given the option to install grub

After installation I went into windows 7

I will try boot repair

cgaie
May 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Surprise

After I boot in WIndows 7 to create the Boot Repair CD I restarted PC to boot up from the CD and I got my grub just there with Windows 7 aside

It's working perfect and I did nothing

Love Ubuntu