PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 12.04 installer hangs on Acer TravelMate 4220 notebook...

Rytron
May 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Hi.

I am trying to install Xubuntu on a relatives Acer TravelMate 4220 laptop. It has 2 HDD's of about 35GB each. When I goto install it from a live USB drive I get this [image 1]. Regardless of whether I select yes or no -- it just hangs.
The partitions are like so [image 2].

Rytron
May 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've tried Xubuntu 12.04 from a Live CD and it still hangs. :confused:

Is this a problem because the laptop has 2 HDD's?

HELP!

mips
May 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm assuming all worked out well after our IRC interaction?

Rytron
May 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm assuming all worked out well after our IRC interaction?

Hey Mips. Great to hear from you again.

Yes, installer currently running and all seems fine. I created a seperate / of 15GB, swap of 2GB and the rest of the 80GB as /home.

For others who wondered about the solution. With the help of mips, I used gparted to delete all partitions and then ran the Xubuntu installer. :)

Update: The laptop actually had 1 HDD. I used a Live CD but the USB drive should have also worked.

mips
May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Good to know.

Out of curiosity how much ram does that laptop have?

Rytron
May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
good to know.

Out of curiosity how much ram does that laptop have?

1gb.

mips
May 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
1gb.

That's fine. If you can try and find another 1Gb (second hand etc) and stick it in. More RAM in Linux is always great :)

Let us know how the install went and what you think of Xub 12.04 ;)

Rytron
May 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
That's fine. If you can try and find another 1Gb (second hand etc) and stick it in. More RAM in Linux is always great :)

Let us know how the install went and what you think of Xub 12.04 ;)

The laptop belongs to a relative. However I use Xubuntu 11.10 on my secondary laptop (also 1GB) - it is very zippy. I think Xubuntu is extremely underrated. I love it.

mips
May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
The laptop belongs to a relative. However I use Xubuntu 11.10 on my secondary laptop (also 1GB) - it is very zippy. I think Xubuntu is extremely underrated. I love it.

I'm thinking of trying it on my old HP nx6110 with 1.9GHz Celeron & 1.2GB RAM but I think it will be to slow as I tried it before. Would also mean I have to download the 32bit iso.

Beyond that I think it's a great distro.

Rytron
May 2nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm thinking of trying it on my old HP nx6110 with 1.9GHz Celeron & 1.2GB RAM but I think it will be to slow as I tried it before. Would also mean I have to download the 32bit iso.

Beyond that I think it's a great distro.

Turn off effects as I've done and it should be fine.

Is the HP nx6110 GNU/Linux compatible? Have you installed a distro on it before?